Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Cayman 981 I bought used. The electronics in the dashboard believe that I have 20 inch tires on it. How can I verify the tire size for myself?

I’ve heard a lot of people here say positive things about tirerack.com, but when I looked there they have no winter tires for a 20 inch rim. If that is the correct size, where else be a good place to shop for winter tires?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I have a 2014 Cayman 981 I bought used. The electronics in the dashboard believe that I have 20 inch tires on it. How can I verify the tire size for myself?

I’ve heard a lot of people here say positive things about tirerack.com, but when I looked there they have no winter tires for a 20 inch rim. If that is the correct size, where else be a good place to shop for winter tires?
Just look at the tire sidewall. There will be three different numbers, for example 265/35-20. The last number is the wheel size. I cant comment on TR stock of 20" winter tires or not as I live in a climate where tire change is not really needed, however it seems that many have a complete wheel/tire set they swap to rather than dismounting the performance tires. In this case you can use a smaller diameter rim which will increase the sidewall width and reduce the chance of damage to the rim and also open up more tire options that are available to you

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
There are always a number of threads on this topic at this time of year. The consensus is to get a an extra set of rims, and consider smaller diameter wheels for the reasons ICNU listed. The tires are also cheaper than 20".

If you don't understand the tire and wheel size numbers, do a quick internet search. I had to look it up a number of times before it stuck. This one is pretty good:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=46

I have 18" rims for my winter tires and 20" for my summers.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just look at the tire sidewall. There will be three different numbers, for example 265/35-20. The last number is the wheel size. I cant comment on TR stock of 20" winter tires or not as I live in a climate where tire change is not really needed, however it seems that many have a complete wheel/tire set they swap to rather than dismounting the performance tires. In this case you can use a smaller diameter rim which will increase the sidewall width and reduce the chance of damage to the rim and also open up more tire options that are available to you
Noted, and thank you. I didn’t see that on the side of the tire well when I looked, but I will check again.

A new set of rims is about $1.5 to $2k, so for the first winter I’m going to swap the tires on the existing rims. Getting the stereo to connect to my iPhone with CarPlay is a higher priority - and that Sports exhaust is also looking reeeaaaaallllly good.

Besides, when it’s slushy, I plan to drive my Audi TT instead.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Noted, and thank you. I didn’t see that on the side of the tire well when I looked, but I will check again.

A new set of rims is about $1.5 to $2k, so for the first winter I’m going to swap the tires on the existing rims. Getting the stereo to connect to my iPhone with CarPlay is a higher priority - and that Sports exhaust is also looking reeeaaaaallllly good.

Besides, when it’s slushy, I plan to drive my Audi TT instead.
Fair enough. You might want to check the cost of tire and TPMS installation and tire balancing twice a year vs the costs of new rims and see how long it takes to pay off the rims. It would be interesting to see the numbers.

Enjoy

·
Registered
703 Posts
You can get inexpensive replica rims for $500 a set. Good enough for winter. Real Porsche rims will cost you that for each.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
404 Posts
I had a BMW X6 and wanted winter tires, and it was much cheaper and easier to buy cheap rims and tires: If it's cold/snowy enough for you to think about winter tires, you won't be pushing the car enough in the winter to need high performance tires or Porsche rims. Tire Rack will sell you cheap 19" rims for about $180. FWIW, I spent a long time searching ebay and Craigslist for used Porsche rims for the winter and had no luck whatsoever.

·
Registered
832 Posts
If you have 20" wheels I don't think your going to find winter tires. Drop down to 18 or 19 inch wheels and a good set of winter tires. Best price I believe will be on TireRack. Select your car, model, wheel size as a wheel and tire combination. Then pick the wheel you like. Have them shipped to a local installer near you. Ideally the installer will store your summer wheels/tires for little or no cost. i.e. you become there long term customer. Good luck.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have to ask, what is the reasoning for so many people encouraging two sets of rims? I get the convenience factor. Is installing new tires with TPMS expensive or time consuming? Is this more complicated than it would be for another car?

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
There are always a number of threads on this topic at this time of year. The consensus is to get a an extra set of rims, and consider smaller diameter wheels for the reasons ICNU listed. The tires are also cheaper than 20".

If you don't understand the tire and wheel size numbers, do a quick internet search. I had to look it up a number of times before it stuck. This one is pretty good:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=46

I have 18" rims for my winter tires and 20" for my summers.
Exactly what I do and my suggestion to others, two sets of wheels and tires, 20" for the summer and 18" for the winter, the best of both worlds for their respective times of the year.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have to ask, what is the reasoning for so many people encouraging two sets of rims? I get the convenience factor. Is installing new tires with TPMS expensive or time consuming? Is this more complicated than it would be for another car?
Tyres on 20” rims are “low profile” meaning that there is not a lot of sidewall between the rim and the road. If you hit a particularly bad pothole or something you will bend your $2000/each rims and be sad.

Going down to 18” or 19” rims will give you more sidewall because in order to keep the wheels the same size overall the sidewalls have to be larger.

Next time you are out driving look at the sidewall size of tyres on a pickup truck. They are large like that so you can drive over stuff with impunity. That is what you want on your 981 in the Winter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.