Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across a 2014 Cayman S right at $40k with 52k miles, which puts it as the cheapest S by quite a bit that I've seen.
I was primarily considering the base, as this would be a street car that gets driven a decent amount. I am kind of worried that I'm going to get bored with the power levels of the base, but felt like the base was a better value for my use case. Then, I came across this particular car and I have to admit I'm pretty tempted.
From all of the research I've done, it seems like the 981s are extremely reliable (for the segment) but not a ton of people have driven their cars enough to get this many miles on them yet.
I've searched reliability threads on rennlist and planet 9 and most of them say "Yeah my car has been super reliable. I've almost got 8k miles!" which doesn't really tell me much about a car with 6 times that. Hoping some techs or even high mileage owners might be able to provide some perspective!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Get PPI before purchasing a car. Also, check all the maintenance history. I did when I purchased my 53k miles Cayman S. It is true that the car is reliable and only has minor issues like the door panel etc etc. Luckily the previous owner did replaced the door panel before it went on sale. The car is my daily and I've driven 12k miles since and didn't have any problem. I could have gotten lower mileage car, but at time this was the car that had all the boxes ticked.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought a very high spec BS in past year and it had 60k , not a sign of those miles and full Porsche history, car is like brand new and asked a dealer on this mileage and was told he could see E200k before they need any attention from his experience , only run in really

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wouldn't worry me at all provided you get a good, independent PPI. Just like @adamski07 suggests, make sure to ask about some of the known issues: sagging headliner, door panel warpage/delamination, headlight lens degradation. None of those are deal killers in my book, but your budget will have to account for repairing those or living with them. I've got 60K on mine. No major issues, just regular maintenance and a couple of the aforementioned cosmetic issues. While I don't like those problems on a car of this price category, they're small potatoes in the grand scheme of things.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have a 2015 981 CS with 17k. Mine has been very reliable but that is low mileage. The one thing I don't see is info about the transmission. Is it manual or PDK. Also, get an over rev evaluation. I always tell people to get an extended warranty on PDK cars. My warranty runs out in Jan, 2021 and if I keep the car, I'll extend it again just because it has PDK. I see a German flag by your name. Is the car in question showing that many miles or is it kilometers? Last thought: there are lots of 991 base 911's here in the US with the same 3.4L engine with more than 100k on the odometer and they are pretty reliable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My warranty runs out in Jan, 2021 and if I keep the car, I'll extend it again just because it has PDK.
Hi, just wondering what warranty options you are considering at this point. I'm in a similar boat with my 2015 CGTS, with the CPO running out in April 2021. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi, just wondering what warranty options you are considering at this point. I'm in a similar boat with my 2015 CGTS, with the CPO running out in April 2021. Thanks in advance.
I think the Fidelity Warranty will cover it. That is actually the extended service that my dealer uses. I have a contact for a guy who was offering the best deal.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have 75K miles on my 2014 BS daily driver, and about 35 track days. I bought it with 22K miles.

It's been a great car. There are a number of minor reliability issues and a couple cosmetic issues that are fairly common and you'll want to be aware of, but nothing major. The engine and transmission reliability is greatly improved from prior generations.

I bought mine remote and had a PPI done through a local dealer. The car had 2.5 years left on the original warranty. A CPO car through a dealer was going to run me about 10K more than a comparable non-CPO purchase in a person-to-person transaction.

I didn't bother purchasing an extended warranty. I think the extended warranty quotes I had were about $5K for 4 years/100K miles if I recall (it's been 3 1/2 so I don't remember). So far I'm significantly on the plus side in that decision. Most of the issues I have experienced are minor/cosmetic and wouldn't have been covered anyway. You'll find most of your major issues in the first 4 years, and after that things should be smooth sailing for the next 100K miles.

·
Registered
260 Posts
My '14 CS, purchased new, has been bulletproof so far at 41K miles and is just a joy to drive. Agree with others re: PPI, overrev report and solid maintenance history. Also would consider an extended warranty if it's PDK. A friend purchased a CPO CS with about 21K miles and the PDK went south about 6 months after purchase, requiring full replacement. Fortunately his was covered but the cost if out of pocket is going to be in the range of $20K. I'm personally not a believer in Porsche's contention that the PDK's are bulletproof. Good luck with your decision!

Reactions: James III

·
Registered
945 Posts
No worries, with those miles Pilecarls8. The 981S prices have been holding their value of late - as they check a lot of boxes people want. $40k seams like a good number if PDK, about right for manual. Of course, with P-cars there is a great variance in MSRPs due to options selected so its OK to pay a little more if you get heavily optioned. Like others say, the 9A1 3.4 ltr engine has been nearly bullet proof, and same on tranny.

My only advice would be to factor in the cost to due the necessary maintenance if not done - new tires / brake pads and rotors, definitely service to PDK tranny and gear, change air filter, brake fluid change, oil change - all very doable DIY or cost effective independent shop. Really, services are due to all 981s if not by mileage, by they are due by time. So really no different for a 20k miles car, same as 60k. For those who have not, I advise to change the fluids in your PDK, they need it sooner than the manual says IMO.

Reactions: James III

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yeah, miles alone don't really tell you much and that applies to any vehicle, not just the 981. Definitely get a 3rd party inspection and other information to assess the condition of the vehicle in question.

We have about 52K on our 2013 and have had the not uncommon issues such as door panel warping, headlight delamination, fuel tank squeak and cracked washer fluid hose. The unexpected repairs have been an issue with the passenger door window seals (wind noise at speed) and coolant leakage requiring replacement of the thermostat feed pipe o-rings & coolant cap.

You might want to also review the maintenance schedule. If I recall correctly the drive belt, for example, is a 60K maintenance item,

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have you done an extensive search of the inventory around your area?
I just recently purchased a 2014 981S with 20K miles SC PDK & pretty well-spec’d, out of state for $4K more than your budget.
They also shipped the car and picked up my trade in free, as well as gave me almost $3K more for my trade in than just selling it at CarMax. The recent situation have made it a “buyer’s market”... dont be afraid to haggle and ask what else they can throw in the package for you.
Im loving my 981S... a month old (with me) and i’ve already put Bilstein PSS10 on it bought from Rennlist.
Be patient and you’ll find the best deal out there.
Good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I drove an S and bought a Base. The S is a little over 1 second faster 0-60 and you’re not even out of 3rd gear. If you’re going to drive your Cayman on a regular basis As a daily driver you will rarely use all the power that you have available to you in the S. Is it worth an extra 10 grand?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Came across a 2014 Cayman S right at $40k with 52k miles, which puts it as the cheapest S by quite a bit that I've seen.
I was primarily considering the base, as this would be a street car that gets driven a decent amount. I am kind of worried that I'm going to get bored with the power levels of the base, but felt like the base was a better value for my use case. Then, I came across this particular car and I have to admit I'm pretty tempted.
From all of the research I've done, it seems like the 981s are extremely reliable (for the segment) but not a ton of people have driven their cars enough to get this many miles on them yet.
I've searched reliability threads on rennlist and planet 9 and most of them say "Yeah my car has been super reliable. I've almost got 8k miles!" which doesn't really tell me much about a car with 6 times that. Hoping some techs or even high mileage owners might be able to provide some perspective!
I purchased a 2014 Cayman S July 2019 with 55k miles, it had CPO warranty that expired 11/19. 3 weeks ago my PDK went into limp mode, long story short, my highly trusted Porsche shop could not remedy the problem and Now I have an new PDK being installed. $11k. I was never much of a warranty guy, just learned my first hard lesson - although PDK failures are almost unheard of, there is no fixing them, you send in the core and Porsche sends you a new one, that is it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Purchased a 2014 Base Cayman in November of 2018. Car had 54k on the clock. Sitting around 67k miles now. Hoping to not jinx myself but zero issues so far. I had a non-Porsche independent look it over before I purchased. The car was out of town and the Porsche dealership there didn't have an opening for months. Since it was just an independent I didn't get the DME pulled. Carfax showed a good maintenance record and I called the dealer referenced on the report to find out a little more about the car.

Maybe not the Porsche fanatic approved method, but once I completed the purchase I took it to my local Porsche independent and had it looked over. No issues found. Car has been really solid. Drove it half way across the country and back on a business trip, no issues. It shares daily duties with my Chevy Volt which is miles ahead of it in creature comforts. It's laughable how stingy Porsche is with options.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My2014 CS has 53K and is awesome. That's not high mileage for this car and you want a car that's been driven not sitting in the garage. If the car checks out with a PPI then that's a great deal!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sorry to hear that
$11K does sound lower than the stories I heard earlier. Did you have to negotiate down to that

I ended up purchasing an extended warranty recently for mine. About $5k for 7yrs protection.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Everything everyone has said so far is pretty accurate in terms of minor issues. I bought my at 8k with CPO 2013 base. Now I have 55k. I'd like to add to check for soft top errors, I had to replace the micro switches under warranty at about 30k as the top would get stuck at times. Headlights, and warped door panels.

One bigger problem I had was water leaking into the cabin due to the drains around the soft top being clogged. That got some electronics wet and caused an error to my parking sensors. So heads up everyone.

·
Registered
126 Posts
52k miles on a 2014 is nothing. I have about the same mileage on my '14 Cayman S and I store the vehicle during the winter months. If everything else checks out I wouldn't hesitate in the slightest.

·
Registered
192 Posts
😂
I’m about to roll 131,000 on my 14 CS. I bought it in ‘16 with 30K on the clock. This car has been awesome, and obviously, a daily driver, in all New England weather. I’ve had the door panels replaced (warranty), and the windshield washer hose break (warranty), the HVAC blower replaced (warranty) (maybe it was a fuse or a relay? I forget).
I've done all the maintenance myself, minus the installation of the X73 retrofit that I had done. I also added the PSE pretty early on, and the GT4 rear diffuser. A lot of CF interior and exterior over the years, as well as Alcantara. Just DIY’d the PDK fluid and filter at 120, spark plugs every 40K, Drive belt every 60, air filters every 20, oil every 10, etc. Replaced the battery a few months ago pre-emptively. Gone through several windshields. Had a cv boot come loose; Repacked the grease and put a new clamp. Had a window switch pop off and they replaced it while it was still under 100K CPO warranty.
It’s never left me stranded, and never failed to make me smile! I test drove the Base a few times to see if I could be happy with it, but it was just too slow! I couldn’t do it! Still sounded good, looked good and handled great, but man, nothing happened when I put the loud pedal down! S for me.
I’m hoping to keep the car forever, whatever it takes. So we’ll see 🤷🏻‍♂️
Moral of the story, I wouldn’t think twice about getting a “higher mileage” car. PPI and service records are always a good idea, but I personally wouldn’t spend the money on an extended warranty, unless you’re takin a big loan and would be upside down on the car if something happened. On top of that, based on my own experience, they’re not the ticking time bomb that something like a used McLaren might be.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts