Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is way more than I imagined spending on a car. I've always said "that car costs 3x as much as a S2000 was when it was new. Is it going to make me 3x happier?" Of course, there's no real mathematical formula that works for this, but I must have come up with half a dozen justifications to go ahead and drop the coin on this car. I figured I'd share my favorite reason:

The supercar of my youth was the Ferrari Testarossa. The 981 beats the 512 TR in many performance figures except top speed, not to mention creature comforts, safety, refinement, and quality. The 512 TR cost over $200k U.S. back in '92 which would make it about $350k in today's dollars. That makes this car an absolute bargain!

So, what interesting justifications did you come up with?

Btw, this is meant to be a light-hearted question. Not really after the "I didn't need to justify it" type responses.

·
Registered
114 Posts
40th Birthday present to myself. I deserve it after 40 years :cheers:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I had the good fortune to live and work in several locations in Europe and Asia. In some parts of Asia taxes are 200% or more on a new Porsche. So back in the US, these cars are a relative bargain. I couldn't justify not having one!

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Great question. I lived on 50% of my salary for 20 years and invested well. (son of a depression error baby..lol) At age 42, I looked at my investment balances and compared them to my quality of life. Balances high, quality of life sucked. Made several life changes. The 981 was one of them. Even after a 82k purchase, I wish I spent another 10k on the car. No regrets.

Life is short. You might as well enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
My money, my decision. How can you put a price on driving with the top down??? :cheers:

Reactions: Lime-Gold and 720

·
Registered
96 Posts
You only go around once, make the most of it.

Reactions: KRG and 720

·
Registered
613 Posts
50th birthday present. Did the European Delivery option which kept my better half happy. Building a new garage to house both Porsches but well worth it. Life is too short.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The Boxster front end with PDLS kind of looks like a 2005 Carrera GT to me ($450k). Today, the 991 Turbo S at $180k seems like a dream car. A Boxster at $60k has over 90% of the enjoyment.

If I was buying a supercar today it'd be a McLaren 650S.

Reactions: KCZ

·
Registered
260 Posts
Back in '93 when I bought my RX-7 I remember distinctly a moment when I took my brother-in-law out for a spin in the car for the first time. He's driving and we're ripping around on some back roads. We come to a stop sign and he looks at me with a big grin and says "wow". I responded, "I know it'd be a bargain at twice the price". I feel exactly the same about my 981. If you're a car guy you know the feeling. No other justification required :cheers:

·
Registered
250 Posts
I wanted the GT3 seats. I couldn't justify buying them because of their price. So the Cayman R was a bargain considering it had the seats.

Reactions: Arch

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Was way cheaper than a Ferrari.

Reactions: RADONCulous

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I love having fun cars. My first was a Renault 10 made from three different trashed cars bought for $300 by my dad. One good body. One with a good motor. One with a good tranny. I was 15 and he made me build a single working car (with much help from him) using the three. That mobile shoe-box could corner like an SOB. I was hooked. Renault to Chevy to VW to Pontiac to Mazda and then 17 years in BMW and now Porsche. I agree with the you-only-go-around-once. Nothing about any of my car decisions have been smart. But all of them have been a lot of fun. :)

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
You only live once, I don't want to be in my 60's, then realize life is almost over to buy a Porsche. I've made some good investments, buying a Porsche or two doesn't change my lifestyle in any way. I'm 39 yrs old this year and have plenty of time to enjoy it. Cars has always been my passion, enjoy your hobbies and passion as long as you can. Life is short, you never know what's going to happen in the future. You can't bury your money with you, someone will take it. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Fortunate enough my living expense is 33% of my earnings. I figured rather than buying cars after cars and building up to a Porsche, start with your dream car, and settle for something else later. Why wait till later when the senses are fresh and the adrenaline are still pumping (I'm 29 yo).

Sure, I should've taken the money and invest into another house, but nothing makes me smile more than a car.

Does anyone regret not buying their Porsche earlier? Even if it was a burden?

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
There are a couple of different ways I looked at having a Cayman R. I absolutely agree with the idea that I've worked hard most of my life, and this is my only chance for a life well-lived. I also had the good fortune to drive a number of performance cars, many of them on track. After moving from a 300ZX, to a 300ZX TT, to an '89 951, to an M Coupe, I felt that I would appreciate a Cayman R. If I'd somehow had the resources, and ordered the car out of school, I would never have realized the tremendous car I had the good fortune to drive. My work schedule would not permit Euro delivery, but ordering the car, just as I wanted it, was a special gift, and also helped me appreciate the work of art this car is.

I don't consider myself to be very religious, but rather a very spiritual person, and my wife and step-daughter are the blessings in my life. But driving a Porsche, especially on-track, is close behind.

BTW, I also agree with a quote I've heard (was it Payne Stewart?): 'The harder I work, the luckier I get.'

As always,

YMMV.

John

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I had the good fortune to live and work in several locations in Europe and Asia. In some parts of Asia taxes are 200% or more on a new Porsche. So back in the US, these cars are a relative bargain. I couldn't justify not having one!
Indeed. I don't even live in the place with the highest taxes, but cars here are pretty darn expensive. A brand new 981 CS with "just okay" options cost about 160K USD. A pre-owned Cayman R is worth about 100K USD here.

Anyway, like the OP said, there is no mathematical formula or rules to judge what's worth it. My take is that as long as I'm not putting myself into debt to purchase the car and fund the mods, it's fine. I think financing a car is one of the worst financial decisions one could make in the long run -- unless there are good financial incentives, like in Canada where leasing programs actually help you save on taxes, etc.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have always dreamt of owning a jet. In order to obtain my goal, I start my company at age 26, continue to work 60-70 hours a week for 10 years. Even now with a commercial pilot license, owning a private jet is just too costly and impractical. So, IMHO, owning a Porsche is an absolute bargain and nice alternative.:dance:

Reactions: gfspencer

·
Registered
747 Posts
The 15 Cs I just got on Thursday was the forth car in two years. Sold a EXIGE S track car bought a TTS (6mo)then a TTRS (9mo)then a CS PASM (6mo)then a CS X73. I know it's dumb as sh-t but I'm 68 " tick-tick-tick" carl

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
8.5 years ago I started saving $500/mo towards "some attainable dream car", by cutting expenses to the bone. Something I'd never get rid of. Ever. That was the rule: I'd be this crazy once in my life, which would be cheaper than always getting some new sports car every 7 or 8 years.

I worked insanely hard. I brought myself to the top 5% of the talent pool (some say I'm top 1% of the talent pool, but I feel there's so much more to learn). I earned more. I learned I could earn a ton more if I just "*****d out" my skill set as an engineering consultant. So I did. I continued to shave my budget, constantly. My current expenses (even despite paying my own health insurance) are lower than they were when I earned 30% of what I do now. About 2.5 years ago I allowed myself to increase my savings to $650/mo. Extravagant! But things like retirement savings (maxing out tax-advantaged accounts, then contributing heavily to taxable accounts) and the "more important" stuff always came first. No debt. No frivolous spending. Stay the course and the car'll happen eventually.

Eventually... huh. The money's there. Weirdest feeling in the world. The shell shock when I got in my car (13 months after placing a deposit) to drive it home was indescribably surreal. I went from driving "also-ran" Japanese brand cars to a Porsche.

·
Registered
851 Posts
The money fell out of the sky, a Cayman seemed like a good idea.

Or less poetically, the company I worked for got bought out and my small slice of the proceeds could buy a Porsche this year. I also sold out my remaining holdings in Apple left over from when I worked for them, so I was swimming in cash.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts