Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the experts advise how dealers decide one vehicle becomes a CPO and another not? When you check used vehicles out on the Porsche and dealer websites, they generally all look pretty ice in their photos. Do they base it on the car's computer readout? :thanks:

·
Registered
280 Posts
cars that go through CPO generally will fetch an extra penny for the dealership and in most cases, they're better off doing it than not because it's easier to push the car. They are, however, not allowed to CPO cars for a number of reasons. The ones I know of:

- certain over rev range counters in the ECU
- signs of collision

When a car gets "CPOed" they go through a check list of maintenance, wear and tear and inspection of problems. They will typically will put on new tires, brakes and do maintenance work on the car to bring it up-to-date. If you're considering a car from the dealership, you can request that they CPO the car as a condition for sale. It is important to note that CPO warranty is not the same as "new car" warranty and you should ask what is covered and what isn't.

If they can't give you a reason why they won't CPO a car, then it's time to look elsewhere.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I also noticed when shopping late last year that some dealers would not CPO a car just to keep it in a more reasonable price point. When asked, those dealers seemed pretty happy to CPO cars if you paid the $2-3K they say it cost to do it. I think aside from it being based on whether a car qualifies based on condition, dealers also evaluate the economics and viability of sale when doing it. Just my $.02

·
Registered
280 Posts
agree. but one thing to note is that CPO has a lot of "hidden costs." The inspection + warranty is, like you said, $2-3k. But the labor/parts that gets added during the inspection, such as new brakes and tires, will easily skyrocket the overall cost. I'd be very careful before agreeing to pay for it.

Another thing to add. it's a buyer's market right now. if they're not willing to include the cost of CPO in the sale of the car, then i'd go elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Ditto to ChrisF. I was told that they pay 2K+ to Porsche to CPO the car.
I could have it if I wanted to pay for it.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I believe the $2k mark is about right. I was looking into a car last summer and I could have added the CPO at what was supposed to be cost and I was quoted right at $1900.

Past personal sales of CPO cars has proved advantageous to me. However, if you purchase a 2 year old car with a CPO and then turn around and sell it a year later you most likely won't break even. Had you not purchased the CPO the next owner will still have a year of factory warranty left.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Are we talking about official CPO or simply having the car prepped according to CPO guidelines (tires, brakes, etc.) ? I bought CPO because I would not have bought otherwise. Other than clutch wear, CPO is basically the same as new car warranty and, best case, extends the bumpr-to-bumper from 4 years to 6. My '07 (Jan) was two year old (1yr, 11mths) and I received a 4 year bumper-to-bumper warranty extension which I have already cashed in thousands with coverage good until 2012. They fix everything, with no hassle. I highly recommend CPO.
Having said all this, I would hesitate buying a car that was not already CPO'd by the dealer. The first CS I was interested in at another dealer (McKenna) offered to "CPO" the car for an additional $2K. After multiple trips to the dealer to work out the details, I gave up and walked out. I don't think they ever intended to CPO the car. They just wanted to string me along until I bought the car as is. There were definitely problems with the car.
Bottom Line: If the dealer has already CPO'd the car and has all the documentation (trust me, they do and they must have ALL this info. fully documented) buy it. If not, skip CPO altogether, the decision is now up to you. HTH

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ditto to ChrisF. I was told that they pay 2K+ to Porsche to CPO the car.
I could have it if I wanted to pay for it.
When I bought my 2007 last year I paid $1800 for the CPO. Now it was a dealer car with only 2900 miles but it was 2 model years old; I am sure it did not need a lot of parts if any. The only part that failed the inspection was the radio which they replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hmmm, I was told by dealer that CPOed a cayman or boxster is $1k. Who tells the true?

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
I'm looking at both new and used right now as there seem to be tons of used 2008 and 2009's with less than 2,000 miles and there are some killer deals. Just missed a well optioned (BiX, Bose, etc) used 2009 last week at $34,000. I can't imagine I'd touch one that didn't carry the CPO.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just bought a 2009 Cayenne about 2 months ago I guess. They told me that it qualified to be CPO'd and if I wanted that option I would have to add on $2,500 to the price. They said that it paid the additional cost of the warranty coverage. I passed on it, myself.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Those figures are about right...my friend bought a BMW 330i that was cpo, but after it all was done, they realized it wasn't actually cpo'ed...I think something they ran into along the way told them to stop...since the deal was done, she could have backed out, they had to go thru the process, which included everything on the check list, double signed....they screwed up...since then she's had it for 5.5 years and put about 50K miles on it and they had to fix things along the way, like the window motors, valve cover, a few other things that were wear and tear actually...Next time i would definitely scrutinize the cpo paperwork first, learned the hard way but lucked out, car was ok....and still running fine...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts