Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have a track day coming up. I have a set of carbotech XP10 pads and torque 700 fluid. But I would like to test the stock set up..Because I'm going to be instructing and getting a feel for the car.I won't be going that hard. Although Buttonwillow is fairly hard on brakes. Three hard zones per 2 minute lap. I plan on approximately 100 track miles for the day 25 min sessions. How will the stock S set up hold up? Or should I swap pads and fluid ( or am I just getting lazy). Thanks carl

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
The stock brakes were OK for 15 minutes at mid-OH but started to fade a bit after that despite having SRF fluid.

Are the pads already in? I ask since Carbotech has said their compound does not mesh very well with other brake pad material requiring you to clean them before running different pads. I'd suggest you send Mike Puskar a note on this an ask for his suggestions.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok ok i'll put in the CT pads and flush the fluid . I didn't have any trouble with the 10 compound on the rotors of my other s . I bought them pre-bedded. I was really hoping that everybody would say" no problem carl they will be fine". Carl

·
Registered
310 Posts
I use CarboTech and SRF at the track. After 15 minutes at CotA I can feel the pedal getting mushy. It's still good for a full 20 to 23 minute session without significant fade.

Yesterday some street traffic stopped short on me and after stepping on the brake pedal I was thinking, I sure do miss those track pads. There's clearly a discernible difference between the OEM and CarboTech in stopping power and I don't care about rotor wear.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Ok ok i'll put in the CT pads and flush the fluid . I didn't have any trouble with the 10 compound on the rotors of my other s . I bought them pre-bedded. I was really hoping that everybody would say" no problem carl they will be fine". Carl
Compared to other makes--according to various road tests--Porsche stock pads and rotors do very well on the track stopping the car; the challenge comes on a short hard braking course where there isn't a lot of time between braking where the rotors/pads can cool.

On a side note, I put in pagid RS29s and have been pleased with them; they are also touted a compatible with stock pads if you want to swap them for track days.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike, thanks im not a fan of the pagids. Used them on a GT3 and 14s on a lotus. Lots of drama with the bedding in process plus judder and pad transfer. My favorite track pad is raybestos ST42s but i coulnt get them for the CS. They could get me the 43s which are also excellent but have a big bite and harder to modulate. So a friend recommended the CT XP10. Cant wait till i get the GT4 it has some real track brakes 15" rotors and six piston calipers.carl

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Mike, thanks im not a fan of the pagids. Used them on a GT3 and 14s on a lotus. Lots of drama with the bedding in process plus judder and pad transfer. My favorite track pad is raybestos ST42s but i coulnt get them for the CS. They could get me the 43s which are also excellent but have a big bite and harder to modulate. So a friend recommended the CT XP10. Cant wait till i get the GT4 it has some real track brakes 15" rotors and six piston calipers.carl
I had the XP10s on a 987 and they are very good pads--long lasting and rotor friendly. IIRC, CT has a newer series of pads out--more like an enduro pad--that is supposed to be in the class of the RS29.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
First time with new car @ Sebring I changed the brake fluid to SRF; but went with the OEM brake pads. I'm solo and was turning 2:42 laps. When I got home, I pulled the pads and the front pads were half gone. The backs were only 25% used up. On my next trips to Sebring I changed to Pagid RS Yellow 29's. After 11 hours of actual track time, I used up 48 % of the fronts and the backs were fine. As a result of not liking the Pagid's, so I changed to PFC 08's all around. I did Homestead two week ago and am doing Sebring this weekend. When I get home, I will see how much I have left of the pads.

In summary, I'm planning to change my braking method to be more aggressive when braking in the beginning and coming off the brakes more smother. This may have been the reason for the pads not lasting as long as I was thinking.

BTW: The OEM pads were not Textar (German made); but, I replaced the OEM Italian ones with Textar for street use.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
First time with new car @ Sebring I changed the brake fluid to SRF; but went with the OEM brake pads. I'm solo and was turning 2:42 laps. When I got home, I pulled the pads and the front pads were half gone. The backs were only 25% used up. On my next trips to Sebring I changed to Pagid RS Yellow 29's. After 11 hours of actual track time, I used up 48 % of the fronts and the backs were fine. As a result of not liking the Pagid's, so I changed to PFC 08's all around. I did Homestead two week ago and am doing Sebring this weekend. When I get home, I will see how much I have left of the pads.

In summary, I'm planning to change my braking method to be more aggressive when braking in the beginning and coming off the brakes more smother. This may have been the reason for the pads not lasting as long as I was thinking.

BTW: The OEM pads were not Textar (German made); but, I replaced the OEM Italian ones with Textar for street use.
Similar experience with stock and Pagid yellows--three days on stock pads=50% worn on fronts; Yellows put on fall 2013--8 days or 32 sessions/10 hrs now at 60% F/80% rear. F. Rotors show minor cracks around the holes and minimal wear--not much effect on rear rotors even with PTV. I'll replace the front pads after the first 1 day DE this spring. No issues with Pagids--not bad on the streets BTW--except as they wear and get close to 50% braking does seem to fall off bit.

I figure I've got one more year of DEs on these rotors and then will change them out along with looking at the PFC pads with the rotors change.
Keep us up to date on how the PFC pads work out for you.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
The problem Porsche DID NOT FIX is the rear brakes - same tiny ones since 1997. High temp fluid and track pads go a LONG way towards helping what is now known as a continued problem out back.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm curious too, as I'm waiting for delivery of a GTS early June and intend to get it on the track by July. I've tracked a Lotus Elise for years and had really good experience with Carbotech pads, slightly rear-biased, XP10/12 setup. For whatever reason, Pagids are not really in favor with the Lotus folks I know. The Carbotechs come pre-bedded and squeal very little, seem gentle on rotors and don't leave a nasty residue, like CL semi-metallic pads.

So, does anyone know if are these pads available for the 981 application and better yet, have experience? I don't want to mess with with cutting or trying to make them fit.

Andy

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Interesting as I've sold many, many sets of Pagid to Lotus owners, the high friction RS14 is very popular.

That said, the 29 front 14 rear ought to be the hot ticket as it was MADE for the 981, no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I get that you sell Pagids, I'm curious about Carbotechs. Pagids have a reputation for noise, which doesn't mean they don't work fine. And for all I know, they are fine in a bigger car than the Lotus. Still, anyone use Carbotech pads?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
"Pagids have a reputation for noise, which doesn't mean they don't work fine."

Let's amend that statement bit :) Most cases any track pad WILL make a fair bit of noise which is one reason why they are not standard equipment on Porsche. Performance products and modifications normally carry a tradeoff, and this is one of them.
Carbotech is a good pad despite the less than great rep I've seen on this and other forums. I just believe there are other more appropriate choices for a Boxster/Cayman.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Track day today at Buttonwillow. The temperature 83° 25 minutes sessions. I ran CT XP 10 and torque 700 fluid.. never had an issue with stopping power.Although in the first session the pedal stroke increased A little after about 15 minutes and I could smell the pads,but nothing to compromise stopping power..The next two sessions they were better maybe the pads just had to bed in.but BW it's hard on brakes so in general I was pretty pleased.I checked the rotor and caliper temperatures after each run. After a full cool down lap of about three minutes. The calipers were 250° and the rotors were about 300.I ran in sport plus the car also has PTV. I left the PSM on just to see how the rear brakes would hold up.The front and rear temperatures seem to be about even. When I've done that test other cars the fronts are always a lot hotter than the rear .

I do have to admit I was somewhat underwhelmed with the MPSS .I thought they would have had better grip. I'm running 19s.carl

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
I do have to admit I was somewhat underwhelmed with the MPSS .I thought they would have had better grip. I'm running 19s.carl
Compared to what other tires? What were your expectations?
How new were they?
What hot pressures were you getting?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Compared to what other tires? What were your expectations?
How new were they?
What hot pressures were you getting?
carl44 - as above. Also, 25 minute sessions and 83 degrees on road tyres and they are bound to go off.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts