Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a super noob question: How do you buff off the wax on a car using a towel only ?

For years, I have been putting wax/sealant/whatever on to the paint job, let it dry, and just pretty much wipe off the residue. When I say wipe off, I go in relatively large circular motion but do not vigorously buff the area.

So I would apply the Zaino Z2/Z5, and then the stuff pretty much just wipes off after I wipe the towel on it in 3 or 4 circular motions. I was told recently that this is pretty useless, and I should continue to buff in a circular motion for a longer period of time so the wax etc would sit in properly?

I understand that buffing it hard would yield a nicer finish. However, my goal is just to put a protective layer on the paint job for UV/rain protection. Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
617 Posts
I'm not sure buffing the wax beyond the point when it becomes "transparent" would give you much more shine, if at all. I just use a microfiber towel that was designed for buffing wax and buff in a circular motion until it looks clear and shiny.

·
Registered
728 Posts
If you want to avoid micro scratches never wipe in a circle . wipe in a straight line, first back and forth then up and down. the best way is a good DA buffer like the rupes 21 and a micro fiber pad. carl

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Since your using Zaino (good choice), go to their site and read the How To instructions. If by hand use straight lines, front to back, or orbital buffer (not needed for most of today's easy on easy off products.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
Random orbital buffer with a high quality microfiber towel attached to the pad. Change the surface touching the paint several times during the residue removal process.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you have been adding wax for years, you might want to clay the car? Very easy to do, wash it first and when you think it is clean, then clay the car. You will be amazed at how much dirt you get off the car. Once it is clean, put your wax on using a bunch of clean terry cloth towels . If you do it right, you will be amazed at the difference the claying makes. Just do small sections, takes awhile but the results are worth it . Once you have a good base coat of wax on it, I would not wax again more than once a year . Good luck. Lots of videos on u tube about claying a car.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
"Don't forget to breathe, very important."

Reactions: 981FTW and chows4us

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
I apply synthetic wax with random orbital, but to remove/buff I just use hi-quality microfiber towel.

·
Banned
2,307 Posts
its all about he towels.. to win concourses..

our towels are 1100 GSM so no scratches on the paint happens (we sell most of the concourse supply to the locals).. the clear coat gets the swirl marks with the costco towels. they are in 300 gsm range..and you have to wash them each time you use them..

Lemon

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have spent way more time than I ever wanted to on car finishes. In general the less you rub paint the better it'll look. The most important thing is after you wash your car use an electric weed blower to get the excess water off. Then use a high-qualitymicrofiber towel.carl

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have spent way more time than I ever wanted to on car finishes. In general the less you rub paint the better it'll look. The most important thing is after you wash your car use an electric weed blower to get the excess water off. Then use a high-qualitymicrofiber towel.carl
funny how you mentioned about the leaf blower. I actually used to do that! Unfortunately I now live in Asia, and in an apartment. So I have no access to a socket anywhere within 3km and got not space to even store the blower to begin with

i usually clay my cars every 2 to 3 years since the day I got them. Just that I never really get a whole lot of shine on my cars, as I really just put on the wax/sealant, let it dry, and wipe off. Just that recently my friend tells me I can't just wipe things off and really gotta buff things hard for durability and shine. So for a split moment I thought I have been just wasting all the products all these years by not buffing the wax off (or in for that matter) hard enough ...

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
I apply synthetic wax with random orbital, but to remove/buff I just use hi-quality microfiber towel.
Right. You don't use the orbital to buff out the wax, or polish, or whatever you use. You use it to APPLY the wax. In turn, you use MF towel to buff out, and these days, there's nothing to really "buff", modern wax just about falls off the car.

I have spent way more time than I ever wanted to on car finishes. In general the less you rub paint the better it'll look. The most important thing is after you wash your car use an electric weed blower to get the excess water off.
That so ridiculous. Tried that, looked ridiculous. Felt ridiculous, etc. This is what you need.

Eight-Peak Horsepower Air Blower - Griot's Garage

It's the "in" thing right now for drying. Problem is, the whole thing is ridiculous. I know people don't want to touch their car with anything but a little bit of reality is a good thing. Your car is getting bombarded with dust, pollen, leaves, bird crap, pebbles, and everything else you can imagine. A good waffle or MF for drying aint going to hurt anything. People spend way too much time worrying about this stuff.

These cars aren't fragile.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have stopped using orbital buffers since the waxes today are so easy to apply and wipe off.
(1) use towel to remove water but do not wipe the car with any force. I pull the towel in straight lines.
(2) I use super soft towel to apply wax
(3) Use super soft clean towels to remove wax. Again using light pressure. Keep changing towel to ensure it is clean.
I always use new towels, never reuse a towel. Keeping the towel clean, light force, moving in straight lines.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
I have stopped using orbital buffers since the waxes today are so easy to apply and wipe off.
This is true. There is no reason to use an orbital to apply wax. OTH, there is a reason to use on with a polish. Different jobs.

Today's water based paints are soft,unfortunately the paint is very fragile . carl
Meh. Not buying it. My 2006 CS was perfectly fine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
With a sealant like Zaino that dries completely before removal, it doesn't matter how you remove it. Wipe off the haze, done. I like to use some detailer spray to help get rid of any final smudges, etc. I used to wipe in only straight lines and for the most part still do out of habit, but life is too short for me to think about this stuff. Want to get the job done quickly so I can drive the car.

That said, I agree that the less you touch your paint, the fewer scratches you'll get. Doesn't matter if you use the softest towel in the world.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts