Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preface: 2000kms - still running it in....

I had just joined the motorway (US - freeway?) when I saw this Porsche coming up from behind pretty fast.
But it didn't overtake!

I looked to my left and saw the (rather attractive) passenger waving and smiling at me. I waved back and..... it was gone!
I just had enough time to register that it was (had been) a Cayman S (older model - smirk :)) so I thought.... "I'll catch that b****rd".

I hit the Sport button (I only have a base model Boxster :() and floored it.
My passenger muttered something.... maybe WTF... and the front came up, and I thought OMG this thing really does something above 5k rpm.
Went into a tunnel and I could hear the Cayman had turned on his/her sports exhaust. What a noise!
I did my best... my car went faster than it has ever been... it made loud noises too.... but I just couldn't catch the S!
Oh how depressing - oh how much fun!
But..... how long will I keep my licence? :crazy:

·
Registered
513 Posts

I am convinced this car will get me a ticket, it's practically impossible to keep it reigned in.

What does your owner's manual say re running it in?

salut

·
Registered
2,911 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Drive smart. Pick your spots. I just try to stay out of the passing lane. Know your favorite driving roads and where police might hang out. Afterall, they arent going to be setting up speed traps where people don't drive. No ROI there.

Exit ramps, entrance ramps, roads with barriers where police can't tuck in. Private road and developments. We cant have radar detectors in VA unfortunately so you have to be extra careful.

·
Registered
227 Posts
i got a ticket the 1st week i had my cayman s. :(

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I'm probably going to come back from my European delivery trip with a 100 speeding camera and noise violation tickets!:hilarious:

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts

I am convinced this car will get me a ticket, it's practically impossible to keep it reigned in.

What does your owner's manual say re running it in?

salut
DO NOT RACE other cars on public roads. Show some maturity and a lot of speed can be forgiven a lot of the time. Just enjoy THE CAR and not what everyone else thinks about the car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DO NOT RACE other cars on public roads. Show some maturity and a lot of speed can be forgiven a lot of the time. Just enjoy THE CAR and not what everyone else thinks about the car.
This is excellent advice. :thanks:

But I only bought the car so that I could show off and have people look at me and my car, and make people jealous, and make young ladies think that I am more attractive than I really am. Is there no hope for me?

Maybe I should stop drinking :beer:, get a job, sell the car :helpme: and grow up.

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts
This is excellent advice. :thanks:

But I only bought the car so that I could show off and have people look at me and my car, and make people jealous, and make young ladies think that I am more attractive than I really am. Is there no hope for me?

Maybe I should stop drinking :beer:, get a job, sell the car :helpme: and grow up.
A great man once told me "No one cares what you drive. They only care what THEY drive. It's true.

Chicks aren't interested in cars really. They're interested in guys with money and style. What I'm telling you is that money and style is one thing, but racing is another. Just don't.

You will make people a little jealous just by owning a Cayman. They're gorgeous, but enjoy it personally. Trying to be king of the mountain with a car on the street is a game for losers. The risk vs reward calculation on that is just abysmal.

Caymans are great cars TO DRIVE. That's a personal thing. Enjoy the car, learn to enjoy it, maintain it and appreciate it. It's not an ordinary car or an ordinary design. They are cool on so many levels. You'll see if you hold on to yours for a while and take care of it.

The good things in life satisfy over time. They reward the owner who cares enough to learn to APPRECIATE them and stay informed. Caymans qualify as one of the good things...definitely.

-TB

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts

I had just joined the motorway (US - freeway?) when I saw this Porsche coming up from behind pretty fast.
But it didn't overtake!

I looked to my left and saw the (rather attractive) passenger waving and smiling at me. I waved back and..... it was gone!
I just had enough time to register that it was (had been) a Cayman S (older model - smirk :)) so I thought.... "I'll catch that b****rd".

I hit the Sport button (I only have a base model Boxster :() and floored it.
My passenger muttered something.... maybe WTF... and the front came up, and I thought OMG this thing really does something above 5k rpm.
Went into a tunnel and I could hear the Cayman had turned on his/her sports exhaust. What a noise!
I did my best... my car went faster than it has ever been... it made loud noises too.... but I just couldn't catch the S!
Oh how depressing - oh how much fun!
But..... how long will I keep my licence? :crazy:
Valentine 1 and situational awareness, enough said.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
If you don't have the self-restraint to prevent yourself from driving like an idiot, then you probably shouldn't have a driver's license in the first place...

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Driving like that not only puts you in danger, but innocent folks as well, moms, dads and kids.....if you want to speed, I suggest you visit your local track, what can you say to a person who lost a loved one due to careless, dangerous driving. It's not worth it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes cruise control is a must in a fast car. People will try to challenge you when you drive a Porsche, but just let them drive on if you want to keep your licence.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Driving like that not only puts you in danger, but innocent folks as well, moms, dads and kids.....if you want to speed, I suggest you visit your local track, what can you say to a person who lost a loved one due to careless, dangerous driving. It's not worth it.
I'm a Hollywood Producer and I approve this message!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Now that's one of the best pieces of advice that I have seen on this site. I have a Base on the way and Porsche is picking up the cost for a track day for me (using their cars) on August 21. I hope to get my "need for speed" somewhat satisfied by that and just enjoy driving my car around where I live. I know that won't be the case always, but I am getting the car in the first place to relax while driving it and not to worry constantly about speeding tickets and racing people. Where I live, it is inevitable to get tickets if you consistently drive too fast. :thanks:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts