Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

If you intend to buy a GT4 in the next 12 month, how will you use this car?

• Primarily a street vehicle (>50% of miles on the street)

Votes: 40 76.9%
  • Primarily a motor sports vehicle (>50% of miles in organized motor sports activities)

Votes: 12 23.1%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a lot of excitement being generated about this new car across the Internet.

If you intend to acquire a Cayman GT4 in the next 12 months, regardless of whether or not you have a deposit down today, how do you intend to use this vehicle?

1. Primarily as a street focused vehicle. Maybe I will drive it on the street on weekends, maybe for commuting, and maybe an occasional track day or autocross. But, the primary use of this vehicle will be use on the street. The large majority of miles will be street miles.

2. Primarily as a motor sports focused vehicle. I will use it as my hobby car for HPDE, autocross, track days, basically organized motor sport in some way. That does not preclude me from driving it to and from organized events or the occasional spirited drive, but its primary purpose will be motor sports.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Great idea for a thread Chows! I for one am buying this to be my third car. It'll be track day, spirited driving and nice day (no kids) DD. My 991S will be my regular DD for when only 1 kid needs transport and my RS7 is the bring both kiddos to school, wife out on the town. Otherwise the wife's QX 60 gets the hardcore family hauling duty

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I'm high on the list with my dealer and I am likely to get a car this year. I already own two Caymans, one for track and one for street. I'd have to sell my 2011 CS to make room for the GT4. The GT4 would be a #2 above, Sunday driver with very limited track use. My Cayman R is a full race car now so I don't really need another track car. But I would almost certainly bring the GT4 to the track a few times to get a feel for what it is capable of.

One concern I have about the GT4 is with the tires. I've never run Sport Cups. Does anyone know how well the SC2's on the GT4 handle in the wet?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine will be the second option.

i am also have some issues with the tires. I have only used them on the track and the first versions were not great in the wet on track. On the street may be an issue

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Mine will be the second option.

i am also have some issues with the tires. I have only used them on the track and the first versions were not great in the wet on track. On the street may be an issue
Ryun:

I think the GT4 is a home run for Porsche. My issue with the tires, however, is that I think the rears will be too wide for street use and will beat me up too much on bad roads. I use 18" stock sizes on my Gen 1. I may try to score a set of street wheels in a more reasonable diameter and width and use the stock PSCs for the track.

I instructed a guy in an M3 once at IRP (Indianapolis Raceway Park), a combo drag strip, oval, road course with around 20 turns, in the rain. Best "student" I ever had. He had just come back from a tour of Europe where they drove all the F1 tracks in good street cars. He had sport cups on his car. We literally lapped the Advanced field every 3rd lap or so. Phenomenal grip and a fearless, phenomenal driver who wanted, for some reason, me to "help" him around the track all day. I kept trying to get out of the car and he kept asking me to stay. I had a very sore neck by the end of the day!

I think, if your idea of good wet grip is no hydroplaning at 90 mph in deep puddles, you'll be left wanting, but the SC tire compound really sticks when it contacts the pavement, even in the wet. When you realize what sort of grip is available, the puddles don't bother you as much.

The only thing that prevents hydroplaning is deep treads of good design. Sport Cups have good tread design, but the tread is minimized to keep the tires together and un-squirmy on dry tracks. Just enough tread to be decent in the wet when they're new. Consider them "intermediates" and you'll be fine. They are really terrific tires.

I would replace them with something else because they're just too danged expensive.

:cheers:

Reactions: Mike R. and 16984

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
One concern I have about the GT4 is with the tires. I've never run Sport Cups. Does anyone know how well the SC2's on the GT4 handle in the wet?
Sport Cup 2 is very similar to Pilot Super Sport. It's not like Sport Cup 1, which could hurt you. It's a far better tire than PSS but any true R compound tire will be 2 seconds faster around a 2 minute course (Trofeo R, for example). I think the SC2 handles heat a lot better than PSS, and isn't greasy at higher PSI like a PSS would get. SC2 comes shaved from Michelin to 7/32, so you lose half your treadlife right off the bat. It's no more than a 12,000 mile tire, to the 30,000 the PSS is rated for. SC2 comes up to temp fast and isn't dangerous when it's cold like an R comp would be. Seems to do great in the rain, also.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
^^^^ That is really helpful information on the tires!! Thank you! I hope there will be more tire options for this car for street use. Fitting something onto those 20" x 11" rear wheels is going to be interesting. I doubt there will be a lot to choose from. I am hoping there will be a Pilot Super Sport option in the right sizes. They are great street tires.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The results of this poll as it is asked thus far are not surprising in the least that the majority of time the car will be on the street...

·
Registered
265 Posts
What I really want to know is, is anyone planning to use this car as their daily driver?

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
Sport Cup 2 is very similar to Pilot Super Sport. It's not like Sport Cup 1, which could hurt you. It's a far better tire than PSS but any true R compound tire will be 2 seconds faster around a 2 minute course (Trofeo R, for example). I think the SC2 handles heat a lot better than PSS, and isn't greasy at higher PSI like a PSS would get. SC2 comes shaved from Michelin to 7/32, so you lose half your treadlife right off the bat. It's no more than a 12,000 mile tire, to the 30,000 the PSS is rated for. SC2 comes up to temp fast and isn't dangerous when it's cold like an R comp would be. Seems to do great in the rain, also.
I have to ask if this is from personal experience. If that is the case you need to list car used to test all those tires, the track, conditions, etc.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fitting something onto those 20" x 11" rear wheels is going to be interesting. I doubt there will be a lot to choose from.
That is the same size as the standard 991S wheels. Nothing special there. C4S, Sport technos, TT, etc. are 11.5" and use 305s in the rear. Go to tirerack and plug in a 911. The only n-spec is the P-zero, but the MPSS is available. You won't have any trouble and one rumor is that the contract, or whatever vehicle they have to supply only Pirellis as n-specs is about to expire. Regardless, a popular option in those tires sizes is to switch to the Michelins from the Pirellis despite not being n-spec.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
I selected #1 since I will probably use it more on point A to A drives than tracks (and I drive an hour to and from the AutoX, so there is more street than track driving right there :D). I don't think I will use it as my DD (that's my Boxster for), but let's see.

·
Registered
659 Posts
From personal observation while running in the rain on track with GT-3's, as well as their input, the Pilot Cup2's are very good in the rain.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I have to ask if this is from personal experience. If that is the case you need to list car used to test all those tires, the track, conditions, etc.
I run in the instructor run group for Audi club in my 2010 S4, original owner. I've had the stock Dunlops, and two sets of Pilot Super Sports. This year I went up to the Pilot Sport Cup 2 and have 2 track weekends on it, and about 2500 street miles. I've never run a true R compound tire on this car, like a Hoosier R6/R7 or a Trofeo R. Since I bought this car on the west coast, most of my experience in it is at Thunderhill and Laguna, with fewer trips to Sonoma and Buttonwillow.

Overall I think a PSC2 is more consistent during a PSS in a 25 minute track session. The PSS tends to need a cool down lap or two in the middle if you've been cooking it for 5+ laps. The PSS was ideal around 40 PSI and would get slippery around 44 PSI, whereas the PSC2 doesn't mind this pressure. Surface tire temps of 140-150F (inside/middle/edge) on the paddock still had plenty of grip.

[This pic is when the Brembo's were new. Obviously the rotors have a bluish hue now from the heat.]

Reactions: ElusiveDH

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
What I really want to know is, is anyone planning to use this car as their daily driver?
I will, but very infrequently do I have to drive daily. It'll be on DD duty for about 7 years, in which then I should have room to put other cars without paying for parking.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Since my engine died in my CS back in September, I've been car-less and anxiously awaiting the GT4. My patience has been rewarded, and I plan to make the GT4 my first ever new car purchase.

I will be using this car as a every day daily driver. I will attend every auto-x at my local PCA and may eventually step up to try a track day. I'm not sure I trust myself on a track though. Part of the reason I like auto-x so much is that I can push push push, and the worst thing that happens is a cone or a spin.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Autocrossing the GT4 seems like overkill. You don't need a 3.8 for a parking lot. I'm sure you could wring the same time out of a 2.7L.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Autocrossing the GT4 seems like overkill. You don't need a 3.8 for a parking lot. I'm sure you could wring the same time out of a 2.7L.
2.7L engine is boring to me. In fact, the 981 Cayman S I drove was boring compared to my 987.1 Cayman S. Faster, sure, but it was just too competent and well-composed. A compliment for sure, but I'm looking for more excitement and the GT4 seems exactly that.

As for auto-x, I don't think its overkill at all. Our tracks at the Q are mini-race tracks, there are no 1st gear sections; we'll even get deep into 3rd at times. I race with many GT3s and trailered race cars.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts