Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

How do you refer to your Cayman or Boxster?

• Porsche

Votes: 107 52.7%
  • Croc (for Cayman) or another pet name for a Boxster

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Boxster or Cayman

Votes: 86 42.4%
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If someone asks you what kind of car you drive, and we are referring to your Porsche, not any other car, how do you respond (don't care about the trim level)? All models welcome to respond: 986, 987, or 981.

I drive a:

1. Porsche

2. Croc (for a Cayman) or whatever your pet name is for your Boxster

3. Boxster or Cayman

If you don't respond to inquiries then don't vote.

I would say Porsche

·
Registered
108 Posts
In my household we have the "Van", the "Jeep", the "Audi", and the "Porsche". So in public settings I say Porsche out of habit and only elaborate if they show interest

·
Registered
457 Posts
Porsche...except when talking to car enthusiasts and/or other Porsche owners.

To 99% of the population there is no difference between all the Porsche sports cars. I once showed two business partners my Cayman (they were interested and seemed to be car guys!!) and started with showing them where the engine is as compared to a 911 and got blank stares as in what is he talking about now.
They had no idea that there are different Porsche sports cars with different engine locations.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
When I had a 911 I referred to it as a "911". My Cayman is a "Cayman". ;)

I like it when people say, "What's a Cayman?" or "Is that the Porsche SUV?" :)

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Porsche, Lexus and Rav4. However as noted above, when talking to other Porsche owners, I say it's a Porsche 981 Boxster S.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I'm still a little shy about the whole thing, so often I've been saying stuff like "the new car" and what not. When being more specific though, I say Boxster, rather than Porsche.

Curiously... I'm quite surprised at how many people are surprised when they find out it's a Porsche. I got this with my mom and a couple of my neighbours. I didn't realize that people don't know that a Boxster is made by Porsche, if they know what a Boxster is at all. If they didn't know, I'd expect them to ask.

"I'm getting a Boxster".

"Oh... who makes that?"

But nope. Everyone seems to have understood what a Boxster is. But apparently didn't. Weird. :D

·
Registered
825 Posts
To others, I say "Cayman" and deal with a blank look if It happens. I intentionally don't say Porsche.

In my household, the nickname is "the go kart" while my wife's car is "the baby."

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Usually "Porsche Cayman"...if a car person then just "Cayman S." More than 80% of the time there is a follow-up question, it's apparent the person doesn't know the diffrence between a Cayenne and a Cayman.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If and only if the subject is brought up about what I drive, I say "Porsche Cayman." Not just "a Porsche" or "a Cayman." I've said just Cayman before and they had no clue what it was. I've said just Porsche and was immediately judged. When I say Porsche Cayman I get, "is that the SUV?" Then I can explain and it doesn't seem as intrusive to the person I'm talking to. So if the subject does get brought up I say the make and model. I'm not really one to be boastful or a show boat about what I have. I used to be with my BMW. Then I stepped into the Porsche ring, grew up a bit, and learned a lot about how people generally act who have truly nice and valuable (whether monetary or not) things. I've found other ways to be proud of my car and accomplishments without the douche-baggary. Like I said though, if the subject does come up I do say "I drive a Porsche Cayman' proudly. Nothing more nothing less. :) It will be interesting to see how this same situation goes when I finally own the keys to an Aston Martin.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Same as for Sam, I always say Porsche Cayman. Those who have a clue understand I intentionally bought the mid-engined platform (my third mid-engined car), the others get the point that I bought the baby Porsche so they don't think I brag around... not that a used 997 is any more expensive than a decent CS or CR.

Car enthusiasts get the Porsche Cayman R ;)download ..

·
Registered
83 Posts
Generally, if I say "Cayman", no one knows what I'm talking about, so I have to elaborate, usually just saying it is a 2-seater Porsche, or, sometimes the entry level Porsche. I don't mention the "S" designation unless I'm talking to a car person. When I mention it among friends, I refer to it as my yellow folly or the yellow car (as opposed to my (Subaru) wagon). What bothers me is the assumption that a man bought it for me.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Boxster and 914. The 914 used to be my Porsche but then I bought a 986. Of course I could say "one of a few cars worth owning" but that's too verbose.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Tell you one thing, I never say I drive a "Coxster" --- thank you very little Mr. Clarkson..
D

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Hmmm, my BS usually gets referred to as the "Porsche" or the "convertible" (since the other cars are a truck, 4 door sedan and suv) within the family and with friends. To anyone else that might ask I would usually say a Porsche Boxster.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I've had a few friends confused when I pulled up in my Cayman. They say, "I thought you got the SUV??" But like WW said, those same people all know what a Boxster is.

·
Registered
664 Posts
We have several so I think you should have added a model designation as I know many that have a sports car and a SUV Porsche.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I used to say Cayman, but then everyone was surprised that I bought a truck after so many years of sportscars, now I say an entry level Porsh - no "e" on the end, sometimes it is hard not to be a hillbilly

·
Registered
121 Posts
When asked, I usually say "I drive a sports car". If they display any curiosity beyond this, I'll elaborate and tell them it's a Porsche, but unless they know their cars, that's usually where it stops. Occasionally though, you will run into an individual who really knows something about the marque and we will get into a quite a discussion.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts