Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I changed my oil and cabin airfilter using the articles on here and before that I replaced my front rotors and pads using the DIY section on Pedros Garage, now I'm wondering if anyone has a step by step on replacing the serpentine belt? It's not something I need to do now, but I'd like to know before the time comes. I've seen the article on removing the front engine cover behind the seats, now I just need the steps for removal and installation of the belt? Anyone know where a step by step is?

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
You might check the articles about installing the under drive pulley because it requires the removal and reinstallation of the belt, basically as far as I remember you loosen the pulley wheel that provides tension on the belt, slip it if off and repeat in reverse to reinstall. If you want to do an article on this specifically, please do!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Minus the underdrive pulley, I guess that's about all there is to the instal. So, just one quick question, You don't loosen the tension pully? It just moves and loosens the belt as you try to turn the nut and then goes back to where it should be when you release it?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Minus the underdrive pulley, I guess that's about all there is to the instal. So, just one quick question, You don't loosen the tension pully? It just moves and loosens the belt as you try to turn the nut and then goes back to where it should be when you release it?
That's right. The tension pulley is spring loaded.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome! Thanks guys, big help! I've pretty much got enough info to get myself into trouble! J/K I really thought it'd be harder than that. How to you check the tension though? What's in tolerance?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Awesome! Thanks guys, big help! I've pretty much got enough info to get myself into trouble! J/K I really thought it'd be harder than that. How to you check the tension though? What's in tolerance?
I am not sure on a Cayman, I don't own one yet, but typically there is an indicator on the tensioner with a range and if the belt is too long (i.e. stretched) or short the indicator will be out of the specified range. Since the tensioner pulley is spring loaded, if you are in the specified range you will have the same tension. These are nice since you no longer need to adjust based on how much the pulley statically deflects (old school).

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I just did and R&R on my CS last night, the biggest part of the job is getting the cover off to access the belt. I had to run to the parts store for an 8mm splined tool to remove the big bolts underneath the luggage bar. Everything else was relatively easy. I removed the belt tension by using a 15/16" open end wrench on the tensioner pulley. I made a crude drawing of the belt's route over the pulleys before removing it which helped tremendously in replacing the new belt. Easy way to save $300 or more.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
I just did and R&R on my CS last night, the biggest part of the job is getting the cover off to access the belt. I had to run to the parts store for an 8mm splined tool to remove the big bolts underneath the luggage bar. Everything else was relatively easy. I removed the belt tension by using a 15/16" open end wrench on the tensioner pulley. I made a crude drawing of the belt's route over the pulleys before removing it which helped tremendously in replacing the new belt. Easy way to save $300 or more.
Is that an 8mm "Torx" wrench tool you're referring to Mitch?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Its actually called an 8mm "serated wrench". It has splines to match the splined on the bolt head. I used a 10 mm socket on the other end to fit to my ratchet for removal/installation.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
I believe you are referring to the 12 spline female bolt for the luggage bar (see below). It is also called a "triple square," "star" or "XZN type" bolt. Although the proper tool for removal/installation is an "8M 12 spline" bit (preferably in a socket), a 6mm hex will do the job.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
My 8mm serated wrench looks just like that, except no socket head on the end, just a straight hex shaft, which a 10mm socket fits over. I'd have bought the 8m 12spline bit if I could have found one.

I'm learning that with modern Porsches you never know what you'll find in fasteners.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am not sure on a Cayman, I don't own one yet, but typically there is an indicator on the tensioner with a range and if the belt is too long (i.e. stretched) or short the indicator will be out of the specified range. Since the tensioner pulley is spring loaded, if you are in the specified range you will have the same tension. These are nice since you no longer need to adjust based on how much the pulley statically deflects (old school).
As an ex mechanic and still ASE Master Tech certified Always Always check the belt length before you put the new one on. The new one should be just slightly shorter than the old belt (as they stretch a little). Take the old and new belts and wrap them around two wrenches and stretch them out, the old belt should be just barely looser than the new belt.

And if the old one wasn't squeaking with the spring loaded tensioner the tension should be ok, after you get the new one on crank it before putting the engine cover on to make sure it doesn't fly off or make noise then you should be set to go.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Back in mid-November (weekend before US Thanksgiving) I had what I'm told is a very unusual situation. One of my serpentine-belt pulleys seized and the belt broke in the middle of my first DE event. I'd had everything checked out a couple of days before my first AX/DE weekend, and the problem took place on the DE Sunday. My car is a 2007 regular Cayman with only 20,000 miles, and I'd never been running at much at all above 4500-5000 rpm ever, so - despite assurances by the dealer (fortunately I had an extended warrantee) that it was just "one in a million", the timing is just a little too coincidental. It was nice that the Dealership service shrugged off the fact that I was in an AX/DE; they had the attitude that it was the Cayman was supposed to be doing.

I'd had a whale of a great time on the Saturday (the AX); it was the first time I'd done anything like that, and I'm totally hooked. But now I'm spooked if I'm off someplace that's *not* an easy flat-bed distance from a dealership and a quick pick-up by Porsche Roadside Serivce.

Any ideas on why this might not have been a coincidence (or why it must have been)? (I don't know which pulley it was, nor whether I over-reved it at all during the AX: my eyes were solely on that sea of wet, red cones!)

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm replacing my belt right now and have to say that it's a B!TCH to get the new belt back on.
I've read the articles and it's suggested that you put most of the belt on except the part that goes over the tensioner, then as you release the tension you should finalize that part.
The thing is....the belt I bought from Pelican Parts (Gates Brand - came highly recommended as a replacement for OEM) is so friggin tight that I have been unable to get the thing on!
I'm going to have to go back to my old one until I can order another (will try the option that Suncoast sells).

Anyone else had an issue with Gates brand belt?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Does the new belt match up with the old one? It should be about 1/2" shorter since the old one has stretched. Maybe you aren't taking enough tension off the tensioner pulley? I had very little trouble doing mine. Is it possible you are trying to route the belt incorrectly? I think there is an article here that shows the proper belt placement.

·
Registered
469 Posts
It was about an inch shorter.......
I eventually managed to get it on with the help of a friend.
I had to move the tensioner as far as it would go (touches another pulley) and my friend shoe-horned the belt on with a lot of elbow grease.
I won't buy this brand in the future......

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.