Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I personally hand wash and wax my Cayman every chance I get. Microfiber towels, two buckets and ONR Wash and Shine followed by GPS Glaze sealant is what I use. This results in paint so reflective and glossy it alone can turn heads even without the exotic badge. What method and products do you use to get your ride looking its best?

0324151757.jpg
0324151756.jpg

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I use:

- running water to wash off dirt
- bucket with whatever car wash detergent
- wash with a car wash mitt (not fussed about brand, but now I use Gold Class or whatever)
- rinse water water
- dry with microfiber towel
- Zaino CS sealant protector (or Z2/Z5 every few months)

my car's paint job far from being in tip top shape. My goal really is to have protection of the paint job so car won't look like crap. Not really after the glossiest look or anything. On my other cars I use AutoGlym stuff. I honestly don't notice a huge diff. I just continue to use Zaino on the Cayman just cuz I have been using it for some time on it. Don't feel like mixing and matching

·
Registered
63 Posts
Been trying out AMMO NYC. So far good (judge for yourself with pics below).

Pretty much follow the process described in their videos: clean wheels & tires with wheel soap/plum, brief water rinse, foam gun with paint cleanse and wash mitt, hydrate dry, and finally wax/tire mud.

Usually use about 1 small bucket full of microfiber towels per wash which includes wheels.

In between washes I've been using their spit shine product with microfiber towels, once a week or so.

I've also done the interior with their leather cleaner and conditioner a few times. I like the smell but someone else who rode in my car didn't. Leather looks good though.

Used their shag carpet cleaner one time but my carets are pretty much spotless so can't comment on how effective it is.

I've clayed one time using a newer style clay mitt.

I haven't tried ONR yet, but a bottle just arrived so will try it the next day or two. Planning to use this for maintenance washes.

Also going to try Sonax wheel cleaner full effect. It may become part of the maintenance routine too, but if I recall correctly it doesn't cost much different than ammo plum so we'll see. Heard it smells bad. Plum smells really nice.

Here are various pics after a few different washes using the AMMO stuff.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Got this from AZ Erik; it was a great excuse to buy $200 worth of good stuff for all my cars. I'm not as driven as AZ Erik, but I'll publish detailing of my BS next week as soon as I'm done slaving.

This is AZ's routine:

Wash with Chemical guys soap, it's ok and still isn't the best best soap I ever had but it does rinse much cleaners than Adam's pink stuff.
Clay bay using DI blue bar with Poorboys world dry wash. (The BS is small enough due to no roof that I can work through it pretty quick)
Then an alcohol wipe down to strip everything from the paint (this is only once every 2 years to get back to the paint to lay down the glass nano coat) 50% rubbing alcohol 50% deionized water, spraying a small sponge made from a piece of Lake County blue pad cut up.
Once wiped down I'll check for imperfections with this orange microfiber towel that I can't seem to find again but is super thin, I can feel things in the paint with it on my hand when lightly wiping the car)
On the black cars I started using Poorboys wolrd black hole or chemical guys blacklight (I'm still trying to pin down my happier finish, though blacklight is supposed to be a sealant more than a clarifier). This does a good job filling scratches and giving it a deep wet look, with more wet to come. I've done this by hand and next time will try using my buffer (Porter Cable osc.) as it's something you work to a shine then buff off so the machine could make short order of it.
Then 22ple's vx1 (not a nightmare to aply but not cake the first 2 times you do it) I equate this to thick glass. Once this is on you can not get a deeper cleaner look so it has to be clean before this goes on.
Wait 8 hours then 22ple Top coat (probably overkill but eh, it's spray and wipe) (usually after every other wash I'll top coat or Chemical guys Hybrid v7seal it, as the 22ple top coat is $33)

The wheels are cleaned while washing the car, with Sonax wheel cleaner. (I used some Meg's all wheel and nearly died, it not only stained my concrete but stripped the wheel wax right off. I have seen a set of wheels and calipers on P-9 that had been killed with the stuff, striped all gloss right off).
I end up jacking up a corner and pulling one wheel at a time, poorboys world wheel sealant the wheels (inside and out) due to my light gray wheels and the amount of brake dust that stacks up in it. I do recommend some type of nano coating for the wheels for sure. Wax helps some but a hard coating seems to be the trick.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I use simple car was detergent to wash the wheels. Spray on some oily Armor All wheel protectant or put on some liquid 3M/turtle wax. Very easy and cheap. Leaves no mess and the black paint on my wheels from Porsche factory aren't dead or anything.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I use:

- a Red Bull to bribe my 13 year old son to do it for me. He does a lousy job, but man he works cheap!
- wash with a car wash mitt (not fussed about brand, but now I use Gold Class or whatever)
- wash wheels with Mr. Clean magic erasers with the same bucket
- rinse water water
- dry with two old towels
- Maguires gold carnuba wax
- Wife picked up some special "black" wax that works even better but I forget what it's called
- "ragtop" on the top 1-2 times a year

It's amazing how different people perceive this car when it's got a fresh shine to it. People are 20x more likely to come up to me in a parking lot right after it's been waxed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't tried coating the wheels and will look into that. My old BMW wheels kept getting so filthy with grime and brake dust I wanted to coat them in something to keep them cleaner longer. I've found that Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax helps with that plus it makes rims look really shiny. It gives a wet look that really gets noticed.

Got this from AZ Erik; it was a great excuse to buy $200 worth of good stuff for all my cars. I'm not as driven as AZ Erik, but I'll publish detailing of my BS next week as soon as I'm done slaving.

This is AZ's routine:

Wash with Chemical guys soap, it's ok and still isn't the best best soap I ever had but it does rinse much cleaners than Adam's pink stuff.
Clay bay using DI blue bar with Poorboys world dry wash. (The BS is small enough due to no roof that I can work through it pretty quick)
Then an alcohol wipe down to strip everything from the paint (this is only once every 2 years to get back to the paint to lay down the glass nano coat) 50% rubbing alcohol 50% deionized water, spraying a small sponge made from a piece of Lake County blue pad cut up.
Once wiped down I'll check for imperfections with this orange microfiber towel that I can't seem to find again but is super thin, I can feel things in the paint with it on my hand when lightly wiping the car)
On the black cars I started using Poorboys wolrd black hole or chemical guys blacklight (I'm still trying to pin down my happier finish, though blacklight is supposed to be a sealant more than a clarifier). This does a good job filling scratches and giving it a deep wet look, with more wet to come. I've done this by hand and next time will try using my buffer (Porter Cable osc.) as it's something you work to a shine then buff off so the machine could make short order of it.
Then 22ple's vx1 (not a nightmare to aply but not cake the first 2 times you do it) I equate this to thick glass. Once this is on you can not get a deeper cleaner look so it has to be clean before this goes on.
Wait 8 hours then 22ple Top coat (probably overkill but eh, it's spray and wipe) (usually after every other wash I'll top coat or Chemical guys Hybrid v7seal it, as the 22ple top coat is $33)

The wheels are cleaned while washing the car, with Sonax wheel cleaner. (I used some Meg's all wheel and nearly died, it not only stained my concrete but stripped the wheel wax right off. I have seen a set of wheels and calipers on P-9 that had been killed with the stuff, striped all gloss right off).
I end up jacking up a corner and pulling one wheel at a time, poorboys world wheel sealant the wheels (inside and out) due to my light gray wheels and the amount of brake dust that stacks up in it. I do recommend some type of nano coating for the wheels for sure. Wax helps some but a hard coating seems to be the trick.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you use Armor All on the tires as well? I'm looking to try Meguiar's Insane Shine or Mother's 3M tire spray to give my rubber that greasy look.

I use simple car was detergent to wash the wheels. Spray on some oily Armor All wheel protectant or put on some liquid 3M/turtle wax. Very easy and cheap. Leaves no mess and the black paint on my wheels from Porsche factory aren't dead or anything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Cayman's finish has swirls and scratches and even worse has to be parked on the outside. That compels me to wash more often and religiously add protection in order prevent more flaws from being introduced into the paint.

I use:

- running water to wash off dirt
- rinse water water
- dry with microfiber towel
- Zaino CS sealant protector (or Z2/Z5 every few months)

my car's paint job far from being in tip top shape. My goal really is to have protection of the paint job so car won't look like crap. Not really after the glossiest look or anything. On my other cars I use AutoGlym stuff. I honestly don't notice a huge diff. I just continue to use Zaino on the Cayman just cuz I have been using it for some time on it. Don't feel like mixing and matching

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been trying Mother's Back to Black on trim pieces and it looks OK using that. Just hopes it lasts a decent amount of time especially thru rain. As for Optimum No Rinse I've found that the Wash and Shine version (not ONR Wash and Wax) pops out my Midnight Blue metallic flakes unlike any other car wash soap. The paint looks so deep and slick afterwards it's amazing. I'm sure you'll enjoy the results!

Forgot to mention hat I also have started to used the mud gel on the exterior trim as well which is working good so far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree that a clean looking car garners attention.

Optimum GPS Glaze Polish Sealant serves as my LSP and makes the paint dripping wet--I mean it looked as though you could just jump in like a swimming pool. Gloss, jetting, depth, reflections, shimmer, radiance--it was all there.

Driving home from the self-service car wash the other day I felt like a generic celebrity. I was shocked at how many people stared at my car. I mean neck-breaking head turns when passing and looks of astonishment at stoplights...I never got any attention like this before! It sort of made me feel like I was driving a car worth a million bucks. Nah, it just looks that way.

I use:

- a Red Bull to bribe my 13 year old son to do it for me. He does a lousy job, but man he works cheap!
- wash wheels with Mr. Clean magic erasers with the same bucket
- rinse water water
- dry with two old towels
- Maguires gold carnuba wax
- Wife picked up some special "black" wax that works even better but I forget what it's called
- "ragtop" on the top 1-2 times a year

It's amazing how different people perceive this car when it's got a fresh shine to it. People are 20x more likely to come up to me in a parking lot right after it's been waxed.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I drive through a car wash and use the time saved actually driving the car. The car is professionally detailed twice a year and looks fine.

Reactions: MontieVA

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Gave up using water to wash my car, here in California, years ago. My Box is parked in an enclosed spot and has a Porsche cover on it. To keep it clean and shiny I use "Wet Paint New Car Glaze." I first run a soft duster over the car to pick up any large debris then use a terry cloth towel and the glaze. It takes about a half hour to apply and remove and leaves a beautiful shine that lasts as long as wax. Been using it for three years now and have no scratches or swirls in the paint.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wash my car about once a month using the following:

Sonax Wheel Cleaner
Ammo Mud Gel
Meguiar's Gold Class shampoo
Ammo Hydrate
Ammo Skin Defense Coat or Meguiar's M21 Sealant
Chemical Guys Butter Wax
Gilmore Foam Gun
2 bucket method
Various microfiber mitts, brushes, and towels

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
This is why I'm trying to follow AZ's routine:

Hood.jpg

·
Porsche Newbie
170 Posts
If you guys are using buckets, and are not using the 'two bucket method', then you are doing it wrong and introducing swirls in your paint.

Youtube the two bucket method for properly washing any car.

Never wash, rinse, dry from the same bucket. That's a no no.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Thanks to this forum I discovered Chemical Guys EcoSmart waterless wash and wax and have been using it along with lots of microfiber towels to clean my white C-GTS in my garage despite some brutally cold outside temperatures the past couple of months. Its a lot quicker than using the hose and water, which anyway hasn't been possible until the last week. I may continue to use it this summer as long as the car isn't too dirty.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts