Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
For my previous cars ...

Raggtop and 303 both worked. I personally think the use of soap is much needed. Just don't scrub the soft top.

Can't see how rinsing off dust with only water and letting all the oily stuff / road tar / sticky dirt stay on the roof would do the roof any good. If anything, a build up of dirt would deteriorate the roof more. Just make sure you use a soft sponge and normal car wash to wash the top gently. Nothing to lose sleep over. Finish off the wash with the protectants.

That said, I do not wash the roof thoroughly every time I wash the car. I may only use car wash detergent to wash the roof every 2 washes I do to the body.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Exposure to the elements and climates vary. It really depends on how well the protectant is holding up for you.

Not sure who makes it or where I got it from (one of the detailing vendors) but I use a boar brush.
That is what I figured, my ragtop will need to be washed and spray protectant on it, water doesn't beat off of it like they do in the youtube videos. It's keep under the shade and in the garage most of the time so probably twice a year or when it looks like it needs it.

I'll check on the boar brush, seems like they have quite the selection on amazon.com.

For my previous cars ...

Raggtop and 303 both worked. I personally think the use of soap is much needed. Just don't scrub the soft top.

Can't see how rinsing off dust with only water and letting all the oily stuff / road tar / sticky dirt stay on the roof would do the roof any good. If anything, a build up of dirt would deteriorate the roof more. Just make sure you use a soft sponge and normal car wash to wash the top gently. Nothing to lose sleep over. Finish off the wash with the protectants.

That said, I do not wash the roof thoroughly every time I wash the car. I may only use car wash detergent to wash the roof every 2 washes I do to the body.
I just rinse it this time. I heard soap is hard to washed off so I didn't wash it with soap this time. The top didn't look that dirty, next wash, I'll do the whole 9 yards with the raggtop wash, brush, rinse, and protect. What a pain in the butt. When is the boxster coming out with a retractable hardtop? Much easier to wash a hardtop convertible.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
I always gently wash my top when washing the car. Like Zinger said - I can't see how road dust and oil can do top any good.

I use foam gun to foam the car, including the top, and then I gently wash the top with microfiber mitten. Just slightly rub to cover the area. 30K miles - no problems.

Reactions: Alpha.GT4

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Dealer applies stuff to the top (supposed to twice per year) that protects it and had a 'dirt repel' effect. My only problem is spider webs stuck in the fabric and the wind doesn't pull it off. Overall, the top seems to carefree. IMO i would not put soap or anything that is meant to clean oil...that would lead to fading for sure. If anything, grease would help it survive.

I would get a product to 'protect it' rather than constantly cleaning.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
When is the boxster coming out with a retractable hardtop? Much easier to wash a hardtop convertible.
Hahaha.. Good question. But then I'm not entirely sure if you would want the car anymore the moment that comes out. That may add 300 lbs, rob some interior space, and maybe even increase the exterior dimensions of the car :p

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
So you're one of the few people who doesn't think the Boxster costs enough? :)
lol, not at all, I want everything for $60K, Porsche are you reading this!

Hahaha.. Good question. But then I'm not entirely sure if you would want the car anymore the moment that comes out. That may add 300 lbs, rob some interior space, and maybe even increase the exterior dimensions of the car :p
Yes, that is the bad thing, the added weight, not necessary increased in size, the SLK is pretty small. Wouldn't it be nice though, if the Cayman's top goes down and Porsche could keep it at around 3,100lbs.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
What's wrong with our top? I think it's just fine. They need to cut more weight not add... Thinking about it for a few years now - they really could've made the car smaller and lighter. There is too much weight protruding beyond wheels from front and back. I think porsche can easily do what Nissan did to 370z - make it shorter and lighter

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
What's wrong with our top? I think it's just fine. They need to cut more weight not add... Thinking about it for a few years now - they really could've made the car smaller and lighter. There is too much weight protruding beyond wheels from front and back. I think porsche can easily do what Nissan did to 370z - make it shorter and lighter
The maintenance and the thought about having to washed it differently from a normal car. Hardtop looks cooler, less prone to vandalism, more quiet with top up. You have basically two cars in one, coupe with top up, roadster with top down. Owned a hardtop convertible for eight years and never really thought about buying the right brush so it doesn't shed into the fabric, buying the right products to protect the fabric and the multiple steps it takes to clean and protect. But I do understand the trade offs, fabric top is about 300-400 lbs ligther, the Boxster would not be the same with a retractable hardtop. But like you said, the Boxster could be smaller and lighter, imagine a 2,900lb Boxster with a retractable hardtop. That would be my dream car. The previous two generations Boxster did not interest me b/c of the ragtop but this current one is just pretty and handles so much better than anything out there to ignore.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
I have absolutely no problem with our soft top. It's fast, it's quiet, it's leak proof. I don't do any special maintenance and it holds just fine. Also it's well known that Cayman are actually louder inside because of where our engine is. Vandalism - have no experience with that. And hard top would take all the space in real trunk. I could actually give up trunk, if they make car lighter. But not for the hard-top.

The maintenance and the thought about having to washed it differently from a normal car. Hardtop looks cooler, less prone to vandalism, more quiet with top up. You have basically two cars in one, coupe with top up, roadster with top down. Owned a hardtop convertible for eight years and never really thought about buying the right brush so it doesn't shed into the fabric, buying the right products to protect the fabric and the multiple steps it takes to clean and protect. But I do understand the trade offs, fabric top is about 300-400 lbs ligther, the Boxster would not be the same with a retractable hardtop. But like you said, the Boxster could be smaller and lighter, imagine a 2,900lb Boxster with a retractable hardtop. That would be my dream car. The previous two generations Boxster did not interest me b/c of the ragtop but this current one is just pretty and handles so much better than anything out there to ignore.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've never had a problem with a rag top. I've owned two Boxsters, two Alfa Spiders, a BMW 135i and some Saab convertibles. Most of the time just plain water and a micro fiber mitt is all you need to clean it, I've never been vandalized despite living in our around major cities and have useable trunks even with the top down. I know it's a matter of personal taste, but I actually prefer the soft top look to the look of a hardtop with all the joint lines.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
+1 on Ragg Topp. In fact, IIRC, it's endorsed by Haartz (the company which makes the tops for our cars).

BTW, earlier in this thread someone asked about details on the Boxster soft top...according to the Haartz website (Find Your Top | Haartz Corporation), it's their Sonnenland A5B/DS.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
After reading this thread, I thought it's probably not a bad idea to apply the cloth treatment to my top. 303 has two flavors. Do I pick fabric or vinyl? I never cut through my soft top so I have no idea what that material really is...

Is this the product I buy? :
http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-30618-Fabric-Repellant/dp/B004TXVOSG/ref=pd_sim_auto_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1WMV1MPNMQJSQHD5Z5Y4
Our tops are fabric, I got the raggtopp package from Amazon, I read that raggtopp was just a bit better than 303 but there are a lot of great reviews for both products.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts