Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know how the communication between dashboard display unit and PCM 3.1 is structured?

The PCM 3.1 sends data to the dashboard display, e.g. tracklists and navigation maps, and the dashboard display unit also sends data into the other direction, e.g. when a track has been selected. Separately, trip data also seems to be sent to the PCM (as it can display it in the "CAR" pane).

Is that through the LIN bus? CAN-COMFORT? Multiple busses?

Only LIN seems a tad low bandwidth, considering that a full map image is transferred, but given that I have seen a "No Signal" message, maybe the frame data for the map is transmitted separately.

I am thinking about replacing the PCM with an aftermarket head unit (mostly for AirPlay), but if I do so I may want to build some electronics to keep the dashboard display useful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anybody know how the communication between dashboard display unit and PCM 3.1 is structured?

The PCM 3.1 sends data to the dashboard display, e.g. tracklists and navigation maps, and the dashboard display unit also sends data into the other direction, e.g. when a track has been selected. Separately, trip data also seems to be sent to the PCM (as it can display it in the "CAR" pane).

Is that through the LIN bus? CAN-COMFORT? Multiple busses?

Only LIN seems a tad low bandwidth, considering that a full map image is transferred, but given that I have seen a "No Signal" message, maybe the frame data for the map is transmitted separately.

I am thinking about replacing the PCM with an aftermarket head unit (mostly for AirPlay), but if I do so I may want to build some electronics to keep the dashboard display useful.
Im curious about this also. What year is your Cayman? I have a 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's a 2014 Boxster S, actually, but I don't think it matters much, as the PCM 3.1 is presumably unchanged.
My car goes in to the dealer this week to get the PCM app on my Iphone7 to connect w/ the car's PCM system. I haven't been able to make the connection on my own. The dealer said only a dealer can do it.
My goal is to use my dashboard touch screen to control Spotify on my I7. But from your post, this does not sound like a function the PCM has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What iPhone App do you mean? PCM Connect, the one that connects through WiFi? That's only for the 718, the PCM 3.1 does not have WiFi.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.