Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Contemplating sport suspension.
Not worried about a rough ride, doesn't seem to bother me much.
but what I do wonder about are clearance issues and I am looking for people's experiences on that issue.
Do you have trouble with driveways, speed bumps, inclines?
Is the sport suspension's affect on clearance, while glorious aesthetically, a bit of a pain really? something that kinda takes away from your enjoyment of the car overall?

·
Registered
798 Posts
I'll let other chime in too, but my understanding from distilling a few threads is as follows:

- people believe it was the best modification they have done
- have to be careful, but nothing too life changing compared to what you already do now because car has a long overhang
- not one person regrets the change to X73

Hope that helps...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have the X73 suspension on a 2015 CTGS. My experience with the suspension has been overwhelmingly positive and I have (as of yet) had no clearance issues. I still marvel at how Porsche suspension engineers made a firm suspension so compliant.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
If it helps, I got PASM and wished I got the X73. It looks great.

Reactions: spaceman

·
Registered
534 Posts
In the first 2000 miles of ownership, I've already scratched the lowest plastic valence on the front of my car with the X73 suspension. The part I've scratched is replaceable, not terribly expensive, and not visible from the front of the car unless you're down on one knee looking directly at the grill. So basically I don't consider it to be a big deal.

That said, you'll need to be careful with entering and exiting driveways, or you will scrape the bottom front of the car. I haven't had any issues with the normal array of speedbumps and potholes - only with driveways.

In terms of the ride itself, it's very nice and not harsh at all. I almost wish there was something more aggressive than this, though I'm sure the suspension is quite capable performance wise.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got the x73 in my CGTS sorta by accident. In the multiple iterations of my build I first built with x73 because of what I read in the press (e.g. lower, more aggressive look, exceptional handling). I changed my mind because of concerns about scraping on driveways, etc. Plus PASM is "free" with the GTS. When the build locked, it was locked with the original x73 selection. My SA had me come back to test a BGTS equipped with x73 to make sure I wanted it. I loved the feel and decided I made the better choice in the first place (plus I'd have to wait another several months to get a PASM build).

In the end I love the look and feel you get with x73. You do have to be mindful of elevation changes in the road (driveways, speed bumps, etc.). I have had minor rubs even paying attention, but I don't regret my "accidental" purchase.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Clearance isn't a issue, haven't scraped yet. Speed bumps you do have to slow down and take slowly. If there like 2-3 inches in height then maybe you will have to go diagonally, but its perfect for DD.

·
Registered
492 Posts
That said, you'll need to be careful with entering and exiting driveways, or you will scrape the bottom front of the car. I haven't had any issues with the normal array of speedbumps and potholes - only with driveways.
We have to be careful even with our standard suspension. Not all driveways are the same. Some are worse than others.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
If it helps, I got PASM and wished I got the X73. It looks great.
Same here, another 10mm lower isn't a big deal. I rarely scratch anything at all, I'm used to driving low cars and forget sometimes how high the Boxster really is compared to my 997. I care with care and at an angle with the BS when I don't need to.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I had the X73 installed in the spring. I wish i did it earlier but i was worried about the ride harshness. As far as scraping, with my standard 20" wheels, there are only a few times i have scraped on driveway aprons with drainage gutters. When I use my track wheels which lowers the ride heigh an additional 3/4", i scrape on a few more areas. It's just the way things are. Everything on a car can be repaired within reason so im not too worried. Its a Cayman, not a Ferrari 250GTO so enjoy it and dont worry about it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think a major consideration is the type of roads you'll be driving on. I live in New York City and drive mostly in the NY/NJ area. The roads here suck and there are lots of steep driveways, ridiculously oversize parking humps, etc. Even PASM in its softest setting was too harsh on the standard 20 inchers. I ended up buying 18 inch OZ rims and using all-season rubber. Even so, I still have to avoid certain steep driveways and go the long way around into parking lots, or risk scratching or damaging the front air dam. I seriously can't imagine doing daily driving here with x73 and 20 inchers. It would rattle the teeth out of my head.

For track days, I switch to the 20s and put PASM in Sport. PASM in Sport is very stiff even for most tracks. Again, I'm having a hard time seeing how an even stiffer setting would be of much if any benefit. But those who have x73 seem to like it, so YMMV.

·
Registered
108 Posts
While it is a bit firm on poor pavement, I found no problem driving 13 hrs with it with only 1 break. The payoff is well worth it in handling

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
yep... X73 on Cayman GTS --- no real problems "on the road", but I do have to be careful on my (pretty steep) driveway, which requires a @45 deg approach/depart angle to avoid scraping. Again, its "steep".

As far as ride, firm, yes, but firm is better than soft IMO --- thats on the road folks!!

D

·
Registered
14 Posts
EASY to live with.

I contemplated lowering my Boxster with base suspension very carefully for a long time, then went ahead and did it (TPC Racing springs, roughly the same drop as X73). I'm amazed at how easy the car is to live with every day. I'm still on the base suspension dampers, so the ride is quite comfortable. However, after driving both a Cayman and Boxster GTS with X73, I can say I much prefer the added stiffness of the sport suspension, even for street driving.

One other thought - as another poster mentioned - your tire size will affect your ultimate ground clearance. I'm planning on going up 10mm in tread width front and back on 20" Carrera S wheels, which will effectively raise the car by 3.5mm.

·
Registered
108 Posts
EASY to live with.

I contemplated lowering my Boxster with base suspension very carefully for a long time, then went ahead and did it (TPC Racing springs, roughly the same drop as X73). I'm amazed at how easy the car is to live with every day. I'm still on the base suspension dampers, so the ride is quite comfortable. However, after driving both a Cayman and Boxster GTS with X73, I can say I much prefer the added stiffness of the sport suspension, even for street driving.

One other thought - as another poster mentioned - your tire size will affect your ultimate ground clearance. I'm planning on going up 10mm in tread width front and back on 20" Carrera S wheels, which will effectively raise the car by 3.5mm.
Actually, in another thread regarding clearance and wheel size, wheel size does not affect clearance was the take home message.

It was one of those x73 vs PASM threads.

If I remember correctly, the reasoning is that with bigger wheels, tire diameter drops, negating the increase in overall diameter.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
If the OP increases tire width (say goes from 235/35/20 to 245/35/20, the overall wheel (rim and tire) diameter will increase, and therefore clearance will increase, albeit minimally. However if the increase in tire width is accompanied by a decrease in profile to maintain the original wheel diameter, then Dizon248's statement is correct.
As for X73, the clearance on a Cayman, even the GTS, is so great that only severe driveways will cause problems. The front overhang is no where near as big a problem as a truly lowered Cayman (like my previous 987) or a GT3. I scrape about 1% of the time I used to scrape with my old car. I don't even worry about scraping any more. Even if the car hits something, it will hit with the small deflector under the lip, as mentioned by another poster above, or with the aero devices that hang down in front of the front wheels (look underneath and you'll see there's actually quite a lot of aero and deflection going on down there!)

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
You might consider the Schnell aluminum scrape bar. I have that on my current 981 Cayman and will install it on my new 981 which I ordered with X73. The bar is <$100 and easy to replace.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I have hit the bottom plastic strip on the spoiler many times (PASM). Once I ripped it 75 percent off, but fortunately the plastic piece just pulled out with no more damage than a little scrape on the plastic. I had a front end lift kit created for my car. It was pricey, but now, any time I need extra clearance, I am a button press and 2.5 seconds away from three more inches of clearance and can afford to lower the front end a little bit more as the front ride height is adjustable.

I put the X73 rear anti-sway bars on my car. I felt with that one change alone, resulted a major improvement in the car's handling on curves. So the full X73 suspension must be far better than stock PASM.

I second the recommendation for the Schnell bar. It is probably the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
266 Posts
26000 miles on my 2013 BS with x73 and 19 inch wheels. I scrape on rare occasions but I don't let it bother me much. Usually sounds worse than it is. I have taken several drives of 800 miles or more, stopping only for gas. Suspension does not beat you up. When hustling around the curvy roads, I couldn't ask for a more precise handling automobile. The lowered look is just a bonus. If I was ordering again, it would be one of the first options selected.

Before my purchase, I test drove more than a couple 981s. For me, the bAse suspension was way to soft. PASM was acceptable, but seemed to to be a complex system and I was concerned about longectivity. I know it has been around for a while but I was not ready to commit. Once I drove the x73, I knew I could live with it long term.

No regrets after 2 years and lots of happy miles.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
For what it's worth, I just installed the x73 suspension in my car...replacing the base suspension....just a few weeks ago. What's funny is the first couple trips out, my wife was growling at me, complaining of the increased 'bumpy-ness'. And then she drove it.
"Oh yeah....this is way better" was her comment. Now she loves it, even as a passenger.
I don't track my car. For me it's worth it on looks alone. Takes the car's appearance to '11'.

Reactions: subshooter
1 - 20 of 40 Posts