Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the web and haven't seen any good video. It would be nice to see a rolling start with a GT3 or Carrera S or 911 turbo or even E92 M3. :confused:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Saw a video on youtube once, it is faster than a 911 turbo so i'm guessing the rest of the cars you mentioned are pieces of cake :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a cayman with the TPC Turbo on it, and I also have a new 997.2 GT3 and a E92 M3, the M3 cannot even compare with the other two, there is just too much weight there, it doesn't keep up. However, the TPC Turbo and the GT3 are extremely close, the TPC Turbo has the problem of not having the right gear ratios for the amount of power that it has, but the GT3 has correct ratios. So they end up rather close, The GT3 is slightly faster from a standstill to 60 but around 100mph the TPC Turbo starts to walk away...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Youngcayman you do also own a Skyline GT-R r35? I remember that I saw your comment about the GT-R at one of the post. How would you compare it to TPC Cayman. How many cars do you have wow :eek:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I doubt turbo Cayman is going to be faster than 997 turbo because torque is the biggest factor. On a mustang dyno stock 997 turbo produces close to 450 lb-ft on the wheels.

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
+1 on the wrong gear ratios. I have the X51 clutch and LWFW with my TPC ATP2 turbo. I also just got the latest ECU maps and the boost controoler which allows me to dial it up to 7psi. I also have a 997tt. In straight line the Cayman does not have a chance against the AWD tt and its torque. On the track it would certainly be a different story, eventhough I would think that the tt would put distance out of the turn quickly and the Cayman would play catch up during turns.

Cayman:

997tt

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
we dont do any sort of street racing so getting videos of highway pulls and such arent going to happen. i will let our customers testify as to it's power...

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I doubt turbo Cayman is going to be faster than 997 turbo because torque is the biggest factor. On a mustang dyno stock 997 turbo produces close to 450 lb-ft on the wheels.
Uhhhhh, no, torque is not the "biggest factor". You can have different ratios
as Youngcayman said, which has the identical effect to adding more torque
(and in fact all you do by changing gear ratios is to change torque applied by
the tires to the road which is exactly the same thing as increasing the torque
of the engine by the same factor), and you can also reduce weight of the
car which is also a linear factor of acceleration, all else being equal.

Then you get into second order effects, then third order effects, then.....

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
cool to see how relaxed you look at VIR.
It was my 2nd time to VIR and I really love the track. This filmed session was odd with a red flag test after a couple of laps which seemed to disrupt everyone's rhythm including mine.

As you can see, the TPC Turbo has some nice pull on the straights and I am only running 4.5lbs boots.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
cool to see how relaxed you look at VIR.
Yes that was a nice drive. THat long straight with the curves in it looks
diabolical as you get to the far end and carrying a lot of speed. On youtube
it doesn't take too long until "crash on VIR in car X" comes up and it looks
like that series of turns eats some cars.

Have you gone thru the shuffle-steering discussion with your instructors?
I was cured of that on my first DE and I like it a lot better without moving
my hands. I even drive on the street like that - if I can make a turn with
less than about 200 degrees of steering wheel turn, I'll not move my hands
off the wheel.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
That's been the comment from every driver I know that's seen the video. :eek:

I have worked on the shuffle. I have driven several full sessions without moving my hands. It feels forced and I tend to lose touch. Seeing this video, however, clearly showed me that I had too much hand movement.

I am working on it.....and a few other things.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
That's been the comment from every driver I know that's seen the video. :eek:

I am working on it.....and a few other things.
For me, a stick worked. Only a few welts and those hands never came off the wheel again. :beer:

Actually - it was more like "KEEP YOUR @*($&%^ HANDS ON THE WHEEL"
about 5 times. He was really persistent but it worked and like I said I'm glad
my instructor did this and I like it a lot better without moving - you never
lose touch of where "straight" is.

It seems like this topic gets a lot of airplay, and it seems there isn't a
consensus. Some say "it doesn't matter" and for some its pretty much the
first thing they work on, along with seeing the flags, watching further ahead,
and being calm and smooth.

·
Registered
100 Posts
This ain't logical isn't it ?

A car with 485ps weighing 1350kilos should outperform a Gt3 and should be as fast or even faster than a 997 turbo.

I read somewhere that the TPC cayman does 0-402m in 11.7s (997TT in 12, 997GT3 in 12.4). Is that true? If that is true than it is faster then the above cars.

But is the 0-402m is true then why you, owners of the car, are slower then a 997 GT3 or turbo??

I believe there is something wrong with the measurements you have made as we in Greece with another twin turbo Cayman, similar horsepower, have made great races against very fast cars.

We have measured another bi-turbo Cayman (TTP) and the car was as fast as a 997TT 1st stage!
VIDS :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4IJ6WNyRkE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai7g6BriQok
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbXyx9Sj8c4&NR=1

0-402 : 12.0s
0-200km/h : 12.5s

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
I for one never measured, just own both and that is a butt dyno feeling. Putting the power down in the Cayman perfectly is much harder than in the 997tt. Off the line there is no chance in hell that the Cayman beats the torque and AWD of a 997tt.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Speed of our system varies from car to car, especially on the systems we install at the shop... We tend to adjust each car to the clients expectations... some prefer more drivability, some want top end power, and some prefer strong midrange... our traditional tune and boost levels accommodate all 3... but some people prefer one to the others. We are jaded by fast 911s... Our shop car runs low to mid 10s and our fastest turbo cayman quarter mile was 11.6, and it wasnt our shop car. We arent that good at drag racing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am still not extremely happy with the figures my car has, but I saw on the web what figures magazines have made with wendland, techart, speedart and ruf's cayman and all were from 15.5 to 16.7 0-200km.
So mine at 15.8 with two persons is ok, not as fast as I would wish for, but ok.

Is seems like the 987 intake cannot work as well as in the 911, that is why RUF states that his 3.8 X51 is 365hp and not 381

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I am still not extremely happy with the figures my car has, but I saw on the web what figures magazines have made with wendland, techart, speedart and ruf's cayman and all were from 15.5 to 16.7 0-200km.
So mine at 15.8 with two persons is ok, not as fast as I would wish for, but ok.

Is seems like the 987 intake cannot work as well as in the 911, that is why RUF states that his 3.8 X51 is 365hp and not 381

every 3.8L x51 that we have dyno-ed stock only puts down ~320 at teh wheels... so take the 381hp too literally.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts