Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I was going to say the same thing. Starting up a car and just driving around in a garage for a few minutes is the absolute worst thing one can do for both the battery and the engine on any car! The oil doesnt even get hot enough to burn off the condensation in it so you are just mixing up a frothy sludge, and the most amount of engine wear occurs at startup and on short runs like this due to the lack of proper oil temp.

The battery will also end up depleted more than it was before the car was started. An alternator is not there to recharge a low battery that has been sitting, and even so takes driving for hours not minutes to accomplish anything. Bottom line is always drive until the oil is fully up to temp (180F/82C) for a reasonable amount of time, or else dont drive it at all, and keep the battery on a tender if the cars sits for long periods.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and non-RS 2010 GT3
1,153 Posts
Here in MN no Porsche’s from Halloween to about March 1-15… it just sits on a ctek for 3-4 months… starts right up. When I had my Exige that thing was always dead.. battery the size of an iPhone wouldn’t hold a charge for 2 days… ctek is a must. With these Porsche’s you could detail your car for 2-3 hours and it’ll be dead..

21 - 23 of 23 Posts