Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After going to the local Porsche dealership in town to check out a porsche cayman S, sadly weren't able to drive it (rainy day) I asked the question to one of the saleswomen. How many cayman/S do y'all come in on trade-in. Her answer "about one a month on average". We kind of figured it wouldn't be a high number considering from 2012 and 2014 model year only 7000 caymans were sold.

So how long it take to find your car?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Probably depends on how picky you are about the options you wanted.

I ordered mine since I knew it would have been impossible to fine one spec-ed exactly as I have spec-ed it.

so there was only the wait of having it built and delivered which was about 3 months

Makes me pretty sure I have a one of a kind car.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you're asking how long our search process took before finding "the one," for me it was 10 months. Searching every day. But I was very picky.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
About two and a half months. Ordered a new one mid April of 2013 and was delivered end of May. Just the way I wanted it optioned with a 5% discount. 65k for a MT BS.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
I drove onto the lot, looked at a car I really liked, test drove it, did the paperwork, and brought it home. :taunt:

I only had one glitch . . . When I was talking to USAA on the phone about changing the insurance we got cut off. The USAA rep couldn't find my cell number so she called my home number. My wife answered the phone and asked the USAA rep., "IS HE BUYING A NEW CAR???" My wife was pissed when I got home. :hilarious:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm usually buying on an impulse, but the Cayman S had me searching for a good 3+ months and I even sold my previous car private-party a little earlier than planned due to a couple dealers lowballing me. My must haves were Agate Grey with black interior (with no front plate), x73 suspension, 20" matte silver wheels, PDLS, sport chrono and PSE... interior lighting, tinted tails and clear front markers were just a plus :). I found the car and jumped on it within 5 minutes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Spent about 3 months working with my local dealer to find a car. There were three identified (all with options I did not want) and the dealer and I agreed on price, but the dealers holding the cars refused to let them go.
I ordered my car from the factory in late February and it was delivered on May 29th. Like someone else mentioned, I feel like my car is "one of a kind".
BTW, my dealer was not slotted to get a Cayman for four more months, but worked out a trade of a Macan slot with another dealer so that they could go ahead and submit my order. The other dealer's sales manager was incredulous that they would swap a Macon for a Cayman slot. It pays to have the dealer as a friend.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I ended up ordering mine as there are not many in the pipeline and it is difficult to get the exact options you want. At the prices they charge, it is worth it to get exactly what you want.
Was originally unsure what I wanted when I was in the market. After eliminating much of the competition (Stingray, M4, F-Type) it came down to which Porsche? After a test drive between a 987 and 981 Cayman S...I was ready to plunk down money on the 981 flavor. Decided to pony up for the GTS, then I was so close to the 2016 model being produced, that I waited a bit longer...then I had to have PTS color....needless to say my budget went from a year or 2 old 987 S to a 981 to an S to a GTS....but I am more than happy with my decision.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I drove onto the lot, looked at a car I really liked, test drove it, did the paperwork, and brought it home. :taunt:

I only had one glitch . . . When I was talking to USAA on the phone about changing the insurance we got cut off. The USAA rep couldn't find my cell number so she called my home number. My wife answered the phone and asked the USAA rep., "IS HE BUYING A NEW CAR???" My wife was pissed when I got home. :hilarious:

Dude, you haven't worked out a good system yet, must not be married very long. Great story though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I looked for well over a year. But I was very picky. I knew I wanted an S in particular exterior and interior colors and finishes (with one or two fallbacks on each) and had a few options that were must-haves. It all depends on how devoted you are to your particular options. At any point in that search process I could have "settled" for three or four cars that were on my radar and probably have been completely happy. But in hindsight, I'm glad that I waited. This was the one and I knew it as soon as I found it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I looked for well over a year. But I was very picky. I knew I wanted an S in particular exterior and interior colors and finishes (with one or two fallbacks on each) and had a few options that were must-haves. It all depends on how devoted you are to your particular options. At any point in that search process I could have "settled" for three or four cars that were on my radar and probably have been completely happy. But in hindsight, I'm glad that I waited. This was the one and I knew it as soon as I found it.
Pretty much exactly the same. Except that I made two or three offers during my 10 month search, because if I was going to "settle" for a less than ideal options list, then I wanted a haircut.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Dude, you haven't worked out a good system yet, must not be married very long. Great story though.
Actually we've been married 47 years. She is a great woman to put up with me that long because I am always doing stuff like that.

We were stationed at Fort Riley, Kansas. My wife went to North Carolina to visit her mother for several weeks. I called and told her that I was sending paperwork for her to sign. She asked, "What kind of paperwork?" I told her that I had just picked up a new Porsche 924 and I needed her to cosign. She almost didn't come back to Kansas. :hilarious: Now she takes stuff like that in stride.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I probably spent a year and half looking and in that time only about two perfect cars. I passed on the first one because it was just too much money for me and it was a thousand miles from home. I was just not confident flying across country to look at a car that I might not settle on when I saw it in person. I then spent several months pulling all the money together in one place. Magically the perfect car showed up within a hundred miles of my home. I called, I went to see it, I thought about it overnight and then I negotiated over the phone and internet. Made a deposit and picked it up within a few days. The 2014 CS had less than 2400 miles on it and was loaded with more options than even I could think of, $95K new. It was not a bargain but was priced in the mid pack for the model, year, and milage. Oh and it was a Porsche CPO out to December of 2019. Happy? I'm thrilled!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"sadly weren't able to drive it (rainy day)"

You can drive Porsche's in the rain.
I know but the saleswoman said they don't like to take out their cars in the rain, it was raining pretty hard. but since we were in the area we wanted to check out one of the caymans they had.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I then spent several months pulling all the money together in one place. Magically the perfect car showed up within a hundred miles of my home. I called, I went to see it, I thought about it overnight and then I negotiated over the phone and internet. .... I'm thrilled!
This is EXACTLY what happened to me. Somehow my exact car showed up for sale within 15 minutes of my house. After looking all over the country for a year and a half.
Destiny.

Reactions: RickH

·
Registered
33 Posts
This past Feb 10th I was looking on line and noticed a 2014 Boxster S with 8400 miles. Sticker was 80,000, missing one option I wanted, Sport Crono. The price was 51,700. And I didn't giver it much thought until a few days later and realized the car was 9000 below book. Agat grey with 20" Carrera wheels, same style as my old ones on my 2002 Boxster S.
Monday morning I emailed the salesman, I sent some pics of my car. Well that night going to bed I was looking around the country and noticed it was pretty mucht the cheapest one out there. Tuesday morning, Valentines day, I'm like I want that car. Dusted mine off from stroage and brought home a 2014 Boxster S and a happy owner. :) My second Boxster S.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts