• 8 years

Votes: 31 18.3%
  • 10 years

Votes: 18 10.7%
  • Less than 15 years

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • When they pry my cold dead hands off my steering wheel

Votes: 36 21.3%
  • This is a ridiculous poll but I’m going to participate anyway by pushing this button

Votes: 16 9.5%
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this would be an interesting poll.....

Reactions: rjpeaks and BJR

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think between 5 and 7 years (up to 75,000 miles), unless I hit the lottery.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
I've owned my 987 since 2007 and will get my 981C-GTS in April 2015. I'm 67 years old. So, never say never, but I don't see me going for another Porsche when I'm 77 or more... so, I think I'll be keeping my GTS for the "duration" -- e.g., for as many years as God gives to me! Is it too much to hope for to be able to enter it in into historic races??
Donnie

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
I think I will go 7-10 years then go with a 911. This is my second. Boxster and I will be saving to get a demo 911 at that time. I do have to say that I love this car so much and I am excited for what cars will be like when I am ready for my next sports car.

Reactions: subshooter

·
Registered
537 Posts
Already eyeing a used 911S. Maybe will pull the trigger...maybe not...

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
No need to pry the cold dead hands off, I am getting buried in mine.
I've actually looked into that, except I want to be buried in my 350Z. You have to have anything removed than could potentially contaminate the ground...gas tank, oil, brake reservoir/lines, etc, and find a cemetery that allows it.

Reactions: Lime-Gold and BJR

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Until the "GT4" is on the re-sell market.....

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I really like the car and would love to say I'd keep it forever, but that isn't realistic. Truth is I will keep it 8 years max because I drive 20-25k milers per year. Most likely after 4-5 years I'll be drooling over other cars and my 981 would have ~100k miles on it and I might think it's best to trade in before stuff starts breaking. Perhaps at that point I may get BGB to put 3.8L in and do good amount of mods to keep myself entertained.

Im sure many will be happy moving on to the next generation cayman/boxster once it comes out.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I've actually looked into that, except I want to be buried in my 350Z. You have to have anything removed than could potentially contaminate the ground...gas tank, oil, brake reservoir/lines, etc, and find a cemetery that allows it.
WTF...it is bad enough that my car has the ability to shut itself off at traffic lights, but now I gotta go green even when I die and get buried???? Here is my alternate plan: Have my mourners take/trailer me in the untouched car (fingers still firmly attached to steering wheel) to the middle-of-nowhere NJ Pine Barrens, rent a backhoe, and have a digging party! I will even buy the beer for it ahead of time.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Yes, I am on my second 981 now and hoping for a 3rd when the GT4 comes out!

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Already eyeing a used 911S. Maybe will pull the trigger...maybe not...
If you watched my ED video in my signature block, you would see that I started thinking about my next purchase after just 16 days of driving my 981. Yeah....After listening to a NA flat-6 screaming at 6000 rpm,I have the Porsche bug. I thought about buying an older 911 (hence my other post http://www.planet-9.com/automotive-off-topic/103041-poll-what-best-looking-porsche.html

I love my 981 BS so much that I will probably just keep it forever and supplement it with a C4S w/aero kit. I love the wide body of a C4S/911 Turbo/GT3 but the 911 needs a tail on it to look good. I'm saving my pennies!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Please add a button for, "Until something better comes along" which may very well be never.

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I think this will be a good 6-8 year car because of its classic looks. I agree with 75,000 miles being the upper bound, though I expect this one will stay under 50k.

I also think we're going to be tempted by the turbo Cayman/Boxster lineup of the coming years. When the software tuners start pulling 400 ft/lb and 360 HP out of the $55k model with 100 octane it will get your attention. We'll see if the early models are reliable. MB's new C400 already has a steering recall. The M3/M4 isn't winning any JD Power awards as it's blowing more hoses than the Iraqi navy.

·
Registered
358 Posts
2 years if I get sick of it - I find it a little too fatiguing as I mentioned in another thread, so we'll see.

7 years if I don't get sick of it - by then, a better alternative in the category is likely to appear (including from Porsche) and be debugged-enough.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Have mine for 27 months already. I have it for sale. If someone buys it ok. If not ok. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
851 Posts
We've only had the car three months. I have no plans to change, but I usually have no plans until something else comes along.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I had my MRT Turbo 20 years and sold it only because needed computer chips were no longer available. It was a fun car and after 20 years, my loss to depreciation was down to a 20-year average of a measly $600 per year (because values were actually going up at the time of resale).

With Porsche Classic, I'm hoping parts will not dry up in my lifetime (I'm 67). Will any future car provide significantly more fun than my 2015CS? I seriously doubt it. I'm putting 2,000 miles on a year, so when I die the car will still be close to new. Therefore, I'll hopefully keep it till I'm too old to drive. We're all different.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts