Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question. In discussion with another owner, her mentioned checking oil levels before starting the car every morning. In my car, this would be a major pain in the ***, because the auto oil check procedure takes at least 2 or three minutes to show a result. He said his consistently takes 6 seconds or so. Does my car have some sort of issue going on? I would really like to be able to consistently check the oil levels without having to wait forever and a day.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
The only reasonable way to do it is the drive it until it is warmed up. It will then take a minute or so. If you just let the car idle until warm up it will take forever.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I check the oil every day before starting the engine. Takes about 6 seconds.

·
Registered
32 Posts
In my 07 CS, it takes 6s to get a reading when engine is sufficiently cold enough. If not it will take minutes with the longest being 20+min after a long run

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have an 09 987.2 - takes 50 secs or so after the car is warmed up. If not warm - get an error stating that the engine is not warm yet and turns off...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have an 09 987.2 - takes 50 secs or so after the car is warmed up. If not warm - get an error stating that the engine is not warm yet and turns off...
I have a 987.2 BS. It also takes 50 secs or so (I think it's usually 60 seconds, if my memory serves me correctly) after the car is warmed up AND stationary AND idling. Also, I've noticed that if I check it when I just get back from a ride (even after waiting for 60 sec for the reading) - it will show low by 1 or 2 segments on the chart. If I wait about 5 - 10 minutes after i turn it off, and then restart (and wait the 50 sec), it will show what I call "normal".

I believe the "normal" indication over the "low" one. (There are reasons why it could be "low" - such as not all oil properly returned, but I can't imagine why the "normal" could be "high".)

This has been a minor annoyance. If anyone here has any specific, in-depth technological knowledge of how this thing works, I'd love to understand more about why it is so fussy and (seemingly) inconsistent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2008 Boxster S takes about 5-6 seconds when cold. I'd assume there is an oil temperature reading done that sets a timer. If warm, my S can take minutes to get a reading. The amount of time is dependent on the oil temperature. I'd assume whatever reads your temp and sets the timer is faulty if it takes any more than 6 or so seconds when cold.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have an 09 987.2 - takes 50 secs or so after the car is warmed up.
If not warm - get an error stating that the engine is not warm yet and turns off...
Same for my 2010 Boxster S.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I check the oil every day before starting the engine. Takes about 6 seconds.
Why all the checks? Did you have a problem with oil leaks? For decades I've always checked the oil when getting a gas fill-up. The only thing that has changed is that I no longer have to pop open the hood. ;)

·
Registered
489 Posts
My 2010 Cayman Base takes at least 10 minutes of idling/driving from cold start. When engine is warm, it takes anywhere between 5 and 50 seconds. Also be sure to do the check with the car parked on a level ground, as the oil level will vary a lot depending on that.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have a 987.2 BS. It also takes 50 secs or so (I think it's usually 60 seconds, if my memory serves me correctly) after the car is warmed up AND stationary AND idling. Also, I've noticed that if I check it when I just get back from a ride (even after waiting for 60 sec for the reading) - it will show low by 1 or 2 segments on the chart. If I wait about 5 - 10 minutes after i turn it off, and then restart (and wait the 50 sec), it will show what I call "normal".

I believe the "normal" indication over the "low" one. (There are reasons why it could be "low" - such as not all oil properly returned, but I can't imagine why the "normal" could be "high".)

This has been a minor annoyance. If anyone here has any specific, in-depth technological knowledge of how this thing works, I'd love to understand more about why it is so fussy and (seemingly) inconsistent.
So the 09 and newer cars check the oil when its running. That is probably a better way to do it. I'd still be ok with an old school dipstick.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.