Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the 981s, it takes a good 10-20 minutes of driving to hit normal operating temp (depending on outside temperature). Just curious how long it takes for the 718 to get warmed up.

·
Registered
194 Posts
In the 981s, it takes a good 10-20 minutes of driving to hit normal operating temp (depending on outside temperature). Just curious how long it takes for the 718 to get warmed up.
To hit 150F+ or closer to 180F, it probably takes a similar amount of time.
My drive every morning is 30 minutes, and I'd say roughly halfway through (depending on how much I'm accelerating) I'm at a good operating temp.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'll try to remember to pay attention this on my way home from work today. But, 90+% of the time, I keep the coolant and oil temp gauge up on the right screen and I'd swear I'm up to temp (180) in the first 5 miles or so.

·
Registered
108 Posts
For modern cars is that even an issue as long as you are not tracking ? My 10 year old bmw e92/n54..I fire up on cold start and sometimes in extreme winter wait maybe 15secs for the rpms to drop and then just stomp on the gas.. Never had any issues.

·
Registered
194 Posts
My 718 is really quick. A few miles and the oil and water temps are just under 200F.
You also live where it's significantly warmer, so I imagine your ambient engine temperature (and therefore oil) starts out a few degrees higher

On start up, my car has ~70*F oil temp. It takes a good 10 minutes before it's 150F+.
Also, coolant is not the issue. That's warmed up within the first minute or 2

·
Registered
148 Posts
A few points:
- This likely will differ between the 2.0 and the 2.5 engines. (I have a 2.0 718 Cayman.)
- Coolant temp reaches operating temp VERY quickly; within 2-3 minutes of engine start. At this point, oil temp is frequently still below 110F, and sometimes still below 100F. (This will probably go down as ambient temps go down, as well.)
- Depending on how the car's being driven (stop-and-go city vs. highway), oil reaches operating temp about 2-3 minutes after the coolant temp does.
- Operating temp of the coolant is significantly higher in Normal mode than in Sport mode. In Normal, it's around 223F. In Sport, it's 198F. This is normal; the ECU is programmed to keep the car cooler in Sport because it's assumed the car will be pushed harder. (This is also the case in most BMWs.)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Porsche recommends that you just "start and drive" although hard use should wait for some reasonable warm-up.
My coolant gets up to temp in under 5 minutes, the oil maybe another 5 minutes,. Porsche manual does state to not let the car warm up in the driveway. Not only is it not necessary, they say that you should not do it. Engine will get up to temp quicker by normal driving, which is what they recommend. Do not rev the engine (above 3k?) until the oil is up to normal operating temp.
Normal driving my 981S keeps the coolant around 225 & oil around 205. Viffer is correct, in Sport or Sport+, these are both lower.

New question. How many heat exchangers does the 981S have? I only see the two up front. There has to be another for the a/c.

I heard the engine warms and cools the engine oil via the coolant (maybe in or above the engine?). Is that correct? Does the same apply for PDK transmission fluid temps?

A lot of people state that a third radiator is important, but I have driven my car hard on hot days and have never seen the need. I have used Torco 5W-40 and Motul 0W-40 and change it every 6 months, which is expensive, but helps protect the engine under hard use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.