Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took delivery of my 2015 Cayman GTS. While backing out of my narrow garage (house built in 1923), I brushed up against a cabinet scoring a deep groove through the clear bra and paint in the side of the front bumper. To fix it I need a new bumper cover, resprayed, followed by new clear bra film. How long should I wait to install the clear bra?

I yanked the cabinet out of the garage with prejudice!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks one and all! What a nightmare. Less than 24 hours after I picked up the car I'm making plans for repairs. Sheesh.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My local installer provides this disclaimer about installing film on non-factory painted surfaces:

OEM Paint vs. Aftermarket Paint Application

The process of applying the films can require that the film - at any point of the installation - may need to be removed and re-positioned or replaced. There is an industry wide problem with aftermarket paint being peeled or lifted off of the treated body panel in this situation. We can only assure, warrant and support the application of the films on OEM - Factory painted - body panels. If your vehicle has had body repair or paint work done to the affected areas to be treated, you are required to disclose that to the installer or sales person in advance. Although this condition is a low risk, it is a serious problem and we cannot be held responsible. All customers will sign a release form before the installation begins. Unfortunately, not every customer is aware of this type of work being done to the vehicle, but that does not in any way reduce or limit our liability or responsibility.

For more information you can visit their FAQ page Paint Protection F.A.Q.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow. Now I'm really pissed about what happened. Maybe I can get the bumper repaired without replacing it. THANKS for the warning.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As I read the responses and search the web, it seems that recommendations range from a few weeks to 90 days, with an emphasis on proper preparation prior to painting. It seems like most cases where removing film lifted paint were due at least in part to suboptimal paint prep.

I plan to have the repairs made then to park the car in my garage for at least 30 days (or whatever my body shop recommends). Fortunately I have another car I can use in the interim. I would hate to get rock chips while waiting to install the film!

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
As I read the responses and search the web, it seems that recommendations range from a few weeks to 90 days, with an emphasis on proper preparation prior to painting. It seems like most cases where removing film lifted paint were due at least in part to suboptimal paint prep.

I plan to have the repairs made then to park the car in my garage for at least 30 days (or whatever my body shop recommends). Fortunately I have another car I can use in the interim. I would hate to get rock chips while waiting to install the film!

That would kill me to wait 30 days while my new car sat in my garage undriven. I am sorry for your trouble. Hope it all works out well.

Reactions: Rickyb

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you google how long for auto paint to cure a bunch links will state 30 to 90 days. My local Porsche dealer says in the first 90 days don't wax and don't install a bra. PPG paints state it takes 90 days for the paint to cure. If you were to apply a solvent like lacquer thinner to new paint say 30 days old it will melt the paint and remove it. After 90 days it would have no effect. If you live in a hot place like Phoenix during the summer cure time will be shorter. Surface paint temp in the noon time sun here in summer is 130 deg. for white and 170 for black and in between these temps for lighter colors. If a bra is installed too soon the paint may be removed if the bra is ever removed.

·
Registered
325 Posts
45 days minimum. The paint and clear needs to cure from the inside out and remains porous and is not fully dry. This even applies to solvent based paints. Water based paints may take even longer. Applying a wax or a clear bra before it is fully cured will impede the passing of moisture required for the paint to fully cure. This can cause the peeling of the paint later or it coming off completely with the clear bra when and if you remove it. It pays to wait longer if possible.

·
Registered
174 Posts
U need 60 days or so for the fresh paint to cure before apply clear bra. I always tell my customer to wait 60-90 days for paint to cure before applying anything. Assuming it's water base paint coming from CA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
I ad a customer with a 2014 cayenne w/eckbond coating and clear bra from dealer after we fixed, told the customer to wait but he still insist to apply eckbond and clear bra. I called Eckbond and they wouldnt do it unless 45 days after painted

·
Registered
117 Posts
I ad a customer with a 2014 cayenne w/eckbond coating and clear bra from dealer after we fixed, told the customer to wait but he still insist to apply eckbond and clear bra. I called Eckbond and they wouldnt do it unless 45 days after painted

does this period of time apply also if you want to wax the car at this certain paited area ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts