Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The longest continuously built car name plate is the Chevrolet Suburban. One might think that the VW Beetle is older but the key is "continuous". The 911 ranks only 6th (the Chevrolet Corvette is a decade older).

The Boxster name plate is now pushing 20. Not bad. Not great, but not bad at all:) You know there is going to be a 20th anniversary model coming up next year.

The Cayman will be 10! No anniversary Cayman?

How long do you think the Boxster or Cayman nameplate will continue to exist? Model changeovers are fine. It's the name plate that matters.

My guess? Boxster will continue as long as a boxer engine (turbo or not) is in the car and ragtops always sell. Cayman? Dunno, not so sure about it.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
If the Boxster winds up getting a straight 4, will it be renamed the Straightster?

·
Registered
848 Posts
I would assume as long as Porsche can make (enough) money selling them. The Boxster is a very established brands, the Cayman not so much. Sometimes car companies just think its time for a change.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
My answer is 20 years ago. It was a mistake for Porsche to name these cars something other than a 9XX. It gave ammunition to the folks who think that its not a "real" Porsche like the 911 or 918 or 960 etc. It's lumped in with the Cayenne, Macan and Panamera. All non sports cars.

A 718 is a better name than the Boxster/Cayman. What's a Cayman anyway to the average folk? ....a SUV right? lol It should have been named the 986 and kept that name through the revisions like the 911.

The ideal time to change the name is with the next iteration of the Boxster/Cayman platform which will be all turbos. Name it the 718. I don't think that Porsche will do that though.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Well since convertible are for play and it goes to a 4 Turbo and it has a number name then I nominate "4Play" :dance:

Reactions: subshooter

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
Well since convertible are for play and it goes to a 4 Turbo and it has a number name then I nominate "4Play" :dance:
That is a great Vanity tag! lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think if the new boxer 4 does not go over well and effects the sales of the boxster/cayman they may try to refresh the concept with a new name. I am not so sure about a number since the model designations are already referred to by owners (981, 987 etc.) A formal number could make Porsche nervous as they are very conscious about stepping on the 911's toes.

There is also an issue with getting the general public sometimes to identify with a new model. They are more prone to being hit or miss than a redesign of a known model I think.

Since I want nothing to do with a turbo or a 4 I will only be owning a Boxster or Cayman in its current form. A new model would only interest me with a NA 6 in it.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I think the Boxster and Cayman names are here for the forseeable future. If Porsche was going to change to an across-the-board number-based naming convention (such as 718 when the refreshed 981s roll out) they wouldn't have launched a new product line last year and named it Macan.

918 and 911 are the brand's "icon" cars, and will be the only ones that are marketed using numbers. The halo GT cars will be GT4, GT3, GT2, with the wannabe GTS variants continuing as parts bin specials/cash grabs. Everything else gets a name (and in fact the GTS models are Caymans, Panameras, Cayennes etc. first, GTSs second). Of course, this is just a guess; I suspect very few people working for Porsche even know the details of the long-term model and naming strategy.

Reactions: Quasimoto

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Until Porsche accepts that mid engine cars are superior to rear engine cars then they'll rebadge it. The new Cayman GT 4 is the beginning of the end for the rear engine Porsches.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Until Porsche accepts that mid engine cars are superior to rear engine cars ....
I am confused by this comment.

The very first, the original, the number 1 car created by Mr. Porsche was mid-engined, the 356/001. The 550 spyder in the 1950s was mid-engined. The 914 was mid-engined. I am going to guess, that Porsche has been building mid-engined cars before the majority of people on this forum were alive. Certainly before I was alive.

The famous racing cars, the 906, 907, the almighty 917, which some consider to be finest sports car (well race car) ever built, the 936, the 956, the 962 were all mid-engined, and of course the last two super cars, the Carrera GT and 918, all mid-engined. And the upcoming 960/988/FeFi (or whatever the final designation will be), will most likely mid-engined.

The fastest ever recorded lap of the Nordschleife was in a ... Porsche mid-engine race car, the 956.

The very successor to the 911 in terms of monetary cost and ultimate speed will be mid-engined. So where is that Porsche doesn't know that mid-engined is not superior to rear engined?

·
Registered
736 Posts
If the Boxster winds up getting a straight 4, will it be renamed the Straightster?
It will get a flat-4, a.k.a. a boxer-4 a la Subaru. It won't get an inline-4.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
It will get a flat-4, a.k.a. a boxer-4 a la Subaru. It won't get an inline-4.
Well alright then ... Flatster it will be. As long as the exhaust sound isn't called "flatulence," we'll be okay.

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Because they keep producing the 911 platform as their flagship model. It's rear engined by the way.
I am confused by this comment.

The very first, the original, the number 1 car created by Mr. Porsche was mid-engined, the 356/001. The 550 spyder in the 1950s was mid-engined. The 914 was mid-engined. I am going to guess, that Porsche has been building mid-engined cars before the majority of people on this forum were alive. Certainly before I was alive.

The famous racing cars, the 906, 907, the almighty 917, which some consider to be finest sports car (well race car) ever built, the 936, the 956, the 962 were all mid-engined, and of course the last two super cars, the Carrera GT and 918, all mid-engined. And the upcoming 960/988/FeFi (or whatever the final designation will be), will most likely mid-engined.

The fastest ever recorded lap of the Nordschleife was in a ... Porsche mid-engine race car, the 956.

The very successor to the 911 in terms of monetary cost and ultimate speed will be mid-engined. So where is that Porsche doesn't know that mid-engined is not superior to rear engined?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Until Porsche accepts that mid engine cars are superior to rear engine cars then they'll rebadge it.
I wouldn't have phrased it that way, but I see your point. If Porsche concedes that rear-engined has to go, then the 911-to-Cayman relationship could become confused.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Because they keep producing the 911 platform as their flagship model. It's rear engined by the way.
I'm still confused. The 960/988/FeFi will be their flagship model. It will be mid-engined. They know that. It will cost more money, be faster, and I believe will be their successor to the 911RSR for teams to race in WEC.

So what's the problem? It will be everything everyone wants, a mid-engined flagship Porsche model (below the 918 and its successor halo model), and the 911 will be second tier,

So what am I missing here? The mid-engineed fans will have their dream come true. A new flagship model, above the 911 in the lineup, faster, stronger, taking over the dominate role in racing.

What else you want? :confused:

·
Registered
202 Posts
My non-Porsche friends don't know the difference between a Cayman and a Cayenne. They also can't tell the difference between a Cayman and a 911 visually! On a couple of occasions I've had strangers approach in a parking lot and ask if my Cayman is the latest version of a 911.

Machog

Reactions: ralarcon

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
I think it will be Boxster/Cayman for quite some time.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My guess is that the next iteration of the 981 will be named named the 718, have all 4 cylinder turbo engines, and cost $10,000 more (hey, it's a new model, the 718!). BTW, the 718 convertible will be another $12,000 on top of the $10,000 increase for the coupe.

So let's enjoy our Boxsters and Caymans with NA flat sixes, while we can!

Reactions: Westcoaster
1 - 20 of 55 Posts