Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scratches suck. So wouldn't it be cool if you could just sandblast all the panels and then brush the aluminum for a brushed aluminum finish and never have to worry about scratches again?

How many panels are aluminum? I know the front and rear bumpers and rocker moldings are plastic. Is that it? Maybe you could brush the aluminum panels and just spray those a matte silver or black. Could look kind of neat?

Haha. Just tossing out a crazy idea. Because of how much work (time and money) it takes to fix a scratch, and the fact that I'm significantly more observant than most and will notice even the tiniest scratch (which means I have to fix all scratches, big and small), I stress about it too much. Would love to have a scratch proof 981.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Brushed isn't the same thing as scratch proof. A harder material can always scratch a softer material. You might be less likely to notice minor scratches with brushed metal but scratches can still happen.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wrap your car, that is the best protection - plus you don't harm the car.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wrap your car, that is the best protection - plus you don't harm the car.
Wraps suck. The finish isn't perfect. I had my front end done by a guy they said was the best. Afterwards, I thought he did a pretty poor job. I took it to another shop in a different state and they looked at it and said that the job was excellent. I clearly have much higher standards than most. Wraps work for most people, but I like smooth finishes. You will always see the edges of a wrap job, no matter how good, if you look close enough. I have freakishly good close-up vision and inspect my car closely, so I see everything.

Reactions: gcurnew

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hood and the two doors..

Wow, you must have a dent guy on speed dial and 24/7 stand by.

Lemon
No, I don't. I just take extreme care of it and as a result have never had any scratches -- beyond those that can from the factory that my detail guy permanently got out. But the care I must exercise drives me a little mental, which is why I would love to not have to worry about scratches. Would make ownership a lot easier.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I surprised myself when I found out the front fenders weren't aluminum. I just assumed they were. Then I had a magnet attach itself to one of mine. WTF?? :D

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Correct. Both doors and both deck lids are AL, as an important part of the Weight Watchers program of losing 60 lbs for the 2014 model. The fenders are still steel because they are still part of the unibody structure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wraps suck. The finish isn't perfect. I had my front end done by a guy they said was the best. Afterwards, I thought he did a pretty poor job. I took it to another shop in a different state and they looked at it and said that the job was excellent. I clearly have much higher standards than most. Wraps work for most people, but I like smooth finishes. You will always see the edges of a wrap job, no matter how good, if you look close enough. I have freakishly good close-up vision and inspect my car closely, so I see everything.
I'm not sure if this will meet your standards but from what I know this guy is really good and I'm very happy with the work he did on my Cayman. He OCD is paying attention and spent a whole day covering my car. He works on alot of cars which some are around $1Million. something to think about if you are driving to the northwest
Photo Gallery

·
Registered
782 Posts
My entire front end is wrapped. $2K.
It's perfect, you can't tell unless you use your finger and search for the edges.
Find an installer that will let you look at his work.-Richard

·
Registered
380 Posts
I know we're in 981 territory but can anybody answer that for the 987? It's one of the few things about the 987 I don't completely know. I DO KNOW the front trunk/frunk IS aluminum but what else?

Sent from my StarTrek communicator using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
So wouldn't it be cool if you could just sandblast all the panels and then brush the aluminum for a brushed aluminum finish
I'm sure I'm not the only one reminded by this of the "legend" of the origin of the Silver Arrows (from Wikipedia):

"Origin of the name[h=3]Story[/h]In 1958 Alfred Neubauer's biography was published, and he described the origin of the Silver Arrows as being accidental. In 1934 the international governing body of motor sport prescribed a maximum weight limit of 750 kg for Grand Prix racing cars, excluding tyres and fuel. Neubauer said that when in spring 1934, the Mercedes-Benz team placed its new Mercedes-Benz W25 on the scrutineering scales prior to the Eifelrennen at theNürburgring, it allegedly recorded 751 kg (1,656 lb). Racing manager Alfred Neubauer and his driver Manfred von Brauchitsch, who both later published their memoirs, claimed that they had the idea of removing all the white paint from the bodywork. The story continues that the next day the shining silver aluminium beneath was exposed and scrutineering was passed. After the 350 hp (260 kW) car of Von Brauchitsch won the race, the nickname Silver Arrow was born, according to this version."

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Fenders trim decor is steel. Rather thin steel. Similar to other chassis metals, the actual fender under that is primed thick steel (or so it appears). I'm told steel makes the best actual structural support because aluminum fatigues fast. Most of the small parts are all aluminum (suspension, engine, tansmission etc).

Front/ rear bumper covers and rocker panels are all plastic. Doors, hood, and rear trunk lid are all aluminum.

IMO, stop trying to focus on all the imperfections...this will drive anyone insane (thinking about sandblasting is getter there...). Just drive and accept battle scars...none of which anyone will ever know exist but you, nor are they visible from realistic viewing distances. Over time, you get enough imperfections in 'used car status' and it all blends in for a natural look (and normal dirt hides a lot). The worst is when you have a brand new car and get the first mark...and attempt to keep it perfect.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Boxster roof panel is magnesium :)

Reactions: BrianH
1 - 20 of 35 Posts