Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many coats of wax do you put on your vehicle? Any data on more is better? Put one coat of P21 on today. My arm doesn't want to put another :hilarious: in past I usually put 2or 3 over a glaze or sealant but not sure I can really tell difference in more than one coat.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Good question. Layering carnauba over a synthetic sealant works on darker colors but is not so evident on whites or silvers.

Some will say its pointless to use multiple layers of carnauba as you are just pushing away the old carnauba and not really layering anything. Others might think differently. I layer carnauba over a synthetic sealant and definitely can see a difference in depth. I will renew that when I feel like it but not in the sense of adding another layer. I'm not convinced you can actually add another layer.

just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I put on a sealant and then one coat of wax first. Then I "rotate wax" the rest of the car for the rest of the Spring, Summer and Fall. This means I will do the doors one day, the hood, truck and rear another and the remaining parts on yet another day. I try to do it in the same order so there is always plenty of wax on the car.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I'm kinda old schooled and am still using Zaino Bro stuff. I was told you could layer that stuff ... so I just strictly stick to Zaino on my Cayman.

To me I just wanted something a bit more durable. Having a mirror finish isn't really on the top of my list

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Something that occurred to me.... Who stands to gain the most from the use of a product? The company that makes and sells it of course. None of the waxes, sealants, glazes in my detailing cabinet have in their instructions to add multiple layers of their product. Maybe because you don't need to or maybe that would be bad marketing. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I used to wax my cars religiously and then stopped because I got lazy and it didn't like the messy look of wax on trim/glass. Also don't like touching the car because all those chemicals/ rubbing wears out the surfaces more than weather and rain. If anything, a high quality car wash is good enough and will actually add a bit of synthetic wax just from a wash.

I found that only 1 layer was needed. Anything more didn't seem to stack but rather 'recoat.' There's some method of layering it that I never understood. You're best off doing 1 layer every week instead of 2 layers every 2 weeks. The key is to get a high quality synthetic wax and lint/grit free microfiber towels.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Something that occurred to me.... Who stands to gain the most from the use of a product? The company that makes and sells it of course. None of the waxes, sealants, glazes in my detailing cabinet have in their instructions to add multiple layers of their product. Maybe because you don't need to or maybe that would be bad marketing. Just a thought.
A glaze is only a coverup. It temporarily fills in those little swirls in the clearcoat but does not correct the paint in the way a polish does. If your car is new, and never had the paint corrected, then the glaze will do something, but only until it wears away. Then the swirls reappear. Once the car is properly polished, there is no need for a glaze. So assuming the car has been polished, you move on to the sealant.

A synthetic sealant will last a long time and some people have sworn by them for decade. But a Carnauba will give a deeper shine, adding depth.

There have been many arguments over the years about layering Carnauba. I'm just not convinced you aren't just pushing around the old stuff by adding another thing layer. But, you CAN layer carnauba over a synthetic and it DOES add depth. I see a visible difference in a darker color.

If you get lazy and do not reapply the wax, the sealant will remain for some time. I view this as my lazy man's way of keeping a shine.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
If you get lazy and do not reapply the wax, the sealant will remain for some time. I view this as my lazy man's way of keeping a shine.
+1, that is why I used sealant instead of wax, the shine last a lot longer, especially on a black car, it's a PITA to keep clean and shiny. I add multiple layers b/c of all the advised given on car forums by detailers. Is it necessary, who knows, does it work, for me, multiple layers seems to really bring out the mirror finished that I am looking for. The most important is that I am happy with the results, I've never been happy with just one layer.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Claying is a given, along with polishing. There is a sequence - strip off old stuff, clay > polish (various grits), glaze (should not be necessary) > sealant > carnauba..

·
Registered
70 Posts
Claying is a given, along with polishing. There is a sequence - strip off old stuff, clay > polish (various grits), glaze (should not be necessary) > sealant > carnauba..
Thank you for making it simple to understand. To answer the OPs question, I dont think you are adding layers so much as making sure you have complete and thorough coverage. You are bound to miss a few spots or go a little light in some places in the first application. Its a matter of diminshing returns.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I think the car color makes a huge difference. One summer I had about 50 coats of polymer sealant on my red 350Z and it looked amazing. I'm convinced I could put 5000 coats on my yellow Boxster and it wouldn't look any different than 1 coat.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
I think the car color makes a huge difference.
Correct. White, silvers (and I guess yellow), the light colors, don't need it. The darker colors, red, blue, dark greys, and black benefit from adding depth with multiple layers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A lot of waxes have some cleaners in them, so putting on additional layers only removes the previous one. I can see putting on 2 coats. If you start from a different point, than the second coat should catch any missed spots from the first coat.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Also, if you use any of the nano based products, I believe they work differently than carnauba based..........then there is, of course, the consideration if you have a clear bra as carnauba is not recommended for that rather the coating sold by the 3M, EXpel et al manufacturer or a synthetic (nano based) like the Mothers or Meguiars 2Xs.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
A lot of waxes have some cleaners in them, so putting on additional layers only removes the previous one. I can see putting on 2 coats. If you start from a different point, than the second coat should catch any missed spots from the first coat.
That is true but the better waxes do not have cleaners (mild polish) in them. I use Zymol waxes myself.

I usually put two coats of wax on my car.

[URL=http://s172.photobucket.com/user/gfspencer/media/ef01c49f-9efc-48cb-8203-2e8a36504fa6.jpg.html][/URL]

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Gfspencer is right. The better carnauba waxes, like Zymol and Pinnacle Sourveign should have zero cleaners in them. They might or do have additional oils. I have no idea about any of the others and Sourveign was created by someone who didn't want to pay Zymol prices (or something like that). No wax can be 100% carnauba as it would be a rock.

I only use Xpel's Sealant on the clear bra and touch that up with Griots Speed Shine, which is great stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Gfspencer is right. The better carnauba waxes, like Zymol and Pinnacle Sourveign should have zero cleaners in them. They might or do have additional oils. I have no idea about any of the others and Sourveign was created by someone who didn't want to pay Zymol prices (or something like that). No wax can be 100% carnauba as it would be a rock.

I only use Xpel's Sealant on the clear bra and touch that up with Griots Speed Shine, which is great stuff.
Yes, oils like banana oil. They smell great! :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts