Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a deposit in place for a January build slot for my Cayman S. On the hand written receipt I was provided was written "Deposit not refundable once production "locks" i.e. not changable."

Given the less than glowing stories I've read about how much Porsche keeps their dealers in the dark on the status of builds, any clue how much advanced notice is customarily provided on production "lock"? Hoping to have at least a week or so to do the last minute gut check on that long list of options. :thanks:

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
You might want to read my comments on the thread "my build date cnx" on this same sight. I had continual updates on the status of my order. Good luck

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might want to read my comments on the thread "my build date cnx" on this same sight. I had continual updates on the status of my order. Good luck
Thx Check 6. Read your comments in that other post. Seems like the only time I get info from my dealer is when they react to my request vs their being proactive. I did send them a very direct set of questions on the topic of advanced notice of lock....we'll see what they come back with.

What was your experience on the amount of advanced notice you had on your production lock? Didn't see that in your post...may have missed it...its early out here on the West coast...need coffee :sleep:

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I would say in Mid-November when I got the production completion date of 11 December and as I said the system now shows completion on 10 Dec. From past orders I would say when they lock it from changes which is normally 45 plus days from actual production it is " locked for production" My drop deat date for changes was 30 October for the 11 Dec build completion. Hope that helps

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's about 6 weeks, give or take a week or so.

brad
So I understand your feedback, I should have about 6 weeks, give or take a week or so, of advance notice to consider / make final changes before production lock ... no more changes after production lock date.

Longer time then I was expecting so good news. With a January build slot and this being 12/8 already, I would think I would be able to get a specific January production lock date notice any day now...unless like with another post I've seen recently, my slot has been slipped to a later month.

I sent a specific request to my dealer last night. Wait and see time.

Thanks for the feedback,

Flip

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
So I understand your feedback, I should have about 6 weeks, give or take a week or so, of advance notice to consider / make final changes before production lock ... no more changes after production lock date.

Longer time then I was expecting so good news. With a January build slot and this being 12/8 already, I would think I would be able to get a specific January production lock date notice any day now...unless like with another post I've seen recently, my slot has been slipped to a later month.

I sent a specific request to my dealer last night. Wait and see time.

Thanks for the feedback,

Flip
What I meant was - your order will be locked-in about 6-weeks - give or take a week - before your actual production date. Depending on when your build date is in January, it might already be locked. You should talk with your salesperson and find out, especially if you want to make changes. Once the slot is locked, if you want to make changes after that, they'll have to go hunting for a new build slot, which I've seen can be from three to six weeks longer.

brad

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What I meant was - your order will be locked-in about 6-weeks - give or take a week - before your actual production date. Depending on when your build date is in January, it might already be locked. You should talk with your salesperson and find out, especially if you want to make changes. Once the slot is locked, if you want to make changes after that, they'll have to go hunting for a new build slot, which I've seen can be from three to six weeks longer.

brad
Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Thanks for the clarification.
Happy to help...

One other thing - try not to blame too much of the non-communication on your sales person. Sometimes they can be as "in the dark" as you are - the production computer system is not a "real time" reporting system and they usually lock in your order and not give any warning to your salesperson. Once the car is in production, the different stages won't be updated in real time either.

You might want to read posts 27-34 on this thread:

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-chat/39493-cayman-build-date-cancelled-2.html#post417468

brad

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Happy to help...

One other thing - try not to blame too much of the non-communication on your sales person. Sometimes they can be as "in the dark" as you are - the production computer system is not a "real time" reporting system and they usually lock in your order and not give any warning to your salesperson. Once the car is in production, the different stages won't be updated in real time either.

You might want to read posts 27-34 on this thread:

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-chat/39493-cayman-build-date-cancelled-2.html#post417468

brad

Good points and I learned a while ago that Porsche does not necessarily do a good job of helping their dealers with timely info (acknowleded in my original post) so I have not blamed my sales guy / dealership. In the past when I've asked some questions both the sales and sales manager seemed a bit embarrassed that Porsche was not much help with info. I read the post you referenced previously. Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts