Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trading my '06 CS for a '11 CS. I plan to purchase 19" wheels because I prefer the look. There are several I like but the ones I am leaning toward are the heaviest, the Carrera Sports. Does anyone have any data, either objective or subjective, about how much wheel weight affects performance?

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
It's a matter of degree. A few ounces, no. Two pounds, maybe not. Several pounds? I've felt the that sort of difference on other cars. One thing to remember, tire weight varies too. There are often 3-4 lbs variances per tire in weight between brands, so it's really the combination that counts. On my old BMW M Coupe I switched wheels and tires, saving ten pounds total on each rear corner. The difference in responsiveness was surprising. For example, even moderately brisk 1-2 shifts chirped the tires with the lighter combination, while the stock set-up seldom did under any circumstances.

A typical rear Porsche wheel + tire is going to weigh over 50lbs. That should put a pound or two of variation into perspective.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm trading my '06 CS for a '11 CS. I plan to purchase 19" wheels because I prefer the look. There are several I like but the ones I am leaning toward are the heaviest, the Carrera Sports. Does anyone have any data, either objective or subjective, about how much wheel weight affects performance?
You could take the cheapest wheel option and upgrade to a nice looking, lighter aftermarket set...

I would prefer aftermarket just to have a different look from stock and you have more options. I do wish I had a set of cayman sized turbo wheels though.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
read the article that Moto has referenced above... Overall tire+wheel weight has a surprising amount of influence on not only accelleration and breaking, but also on fuel economy... Those of use our Pcars to commute as well as for pleasure can appreciate that!

That being said, all of the OEM wheels are in the same relative ballpark as far as weight goes... I think they are all within a lb or 2 of each other in the 19" size. Pick which one you like the best based on looks in this case...

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Love the turbo wheels. Any idea what they weigh in a cayman fitment? They make a replica but not sure what they weigh.
Here is the data on the 997 Turbo versions (courtesy of Wheel Enhancement):

Porsche Factory 997 Turbo
8.5x19” 23 lbs. 14 oz.
11x19” 28 lbs. 13 oz.

The front is probably the same as used for the Cayman application, but the Cayman uses a narrower rear wheel. I'm sure Wheel Enhancement can give you the data for the rear. BTW I run the Turbo wheels on my GT3 for winter tires. They are nice and they are, I believe, the only forged wheels available from Porsche in the 19" size.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thank you MotoFanatic for that link. Very helpful.

Blitzkrieg sent me a link to a site that has all the Cayman/Boxster wheel specifications. It is in German but it is easy to see the specs.

http://www.boxster-group.de/ubb/ubbthreads.php/topics/58326

The Turbo wheels for the Cayman are 8" front and 9.5" rear. Weights are 10.3 Kg and 11.1Kg respectively. Can anyone confirm whether these wheels are forged?

I am also considering the Carrera Sport wheels. They are the widest 19's available oem for the Cayman at 8.5" and 10.0" but they weigh 10.6Kg and 12.4Kg. Are these wheels cast?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yes, as previous poster mentioned they are forged. Should you go down this route, just bare in mind that the cost a bomb to get refurbed. You cant just have them done by any normal wheel shop. I'm currently looking at having mine sent off to Germany just for a little touch up....

FWIW Those wheels have 'made' my Cayman for me, they attract alot of questions and always a get a comment or two.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Thank you MotoFanatic for that link. Very helpful.

Blitzkrieg sent me a link to a site that has all the Cayman/Boxster wheel specifications. It is in German but it is easy to see the specs.

http://www.boxster-group.de/ubb/ubbthreads.php/topics/58326

The Turbo wheels for the Cayman are 8" front and 9.5" rear. Weights are 10.3 Kg and 11.1Kg respectively. Can anyone confirm whether these wheels are forged?

I am also considering the Carrera Sport wheels. They are the widest 19's available oem for the Cayman at 8.5" and 10.0" but they weigh 10.6Kg and 12.4Kg. Are these wheels cast?
That link was very helpful. Thanks. I've been wonderin' what my stock 17" setup weighed, and was curious what the difference would be compared to the 19" setup I have on order. The 19" setup only weight 8.5 lbs more total (wheels and tires). Not too bad. The weight gain will be made up for with better looks and maybe a little better handling. :)

·
Registered
806 Posts
Take a look at the chart in that Car and Driver article. Going from a 40 lb tire/wheel combo to a 54 lb tire/wheel combo (a 35% increase) lowered 0-60 times from 7.9 to 7.6 seconds, decreased braking from 130 to 126 feet, and increased road holding from .83 G to .88 G.

This is a 14 lb increase. I seriously doubt you would be able to feel a 2 lb increase. Any change a 2 lb increase makes in lap times on a track would be minuscule compared to a small driver error (e.g. slide a bit on a corner).

In that link showing wheel weights, the difference between the lightest and heaviest 19" wheel is less than 2 lbs. Choose the one you like the best.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Wonder what the result would be to adding 8lbs to each wheel/tire. I wonder if you could actually feel it in 0-75....where I spend most of my driving.

·
Registered
415 Posts
To put it into perspective...

I recall dyno plots from years ago (can't find them and we did not do them) where a 5 pound increase in rotaional mass equalled a loss of 7-10 whp, about what people are tying to gain with a 1k-4.5k cat back exhaust system..... or even an ECU flash.

Mods where you gain or loose a few HP are the type you feel right away, then 2 week later you can't remember the difference.....

If you are really in tune with your car, and you track it our auto-X it, you will notice the difference of lower rotational mass and lower unsprung weight as well. But you need to be pretty in tune with your vehicle.

Will it equate to a lower lap time or a FTD? Maybe in the right hands, but maybe not.....

But then again Porsche used to use light alloy lug nuts and even ran an add about their advantages, and this was close to the rotational centerline where it mattered the least... :)

Cheers

·
Registered
502 Posts
To put it into perspective...

I recall dyno plots from years ago (can't find them and we did not do them) where a 5 pound increase in rotaional mass equalled a loss of 7-10 whp, about what people are tying to gain with a 1k-4.5k cat back exhaust system..... or even an ECU flash.

Cheers
5lbs per corner, correct?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
all of the 997 turbo wheels on ebay are just turbo "style" wheels. The ones that are listed for $1949 vs the rest that are around $800 are just playing the old if I list them for more they are better game... Also there is a set that is listed with OEM center caps, so if you search by OEM they come up, even though the wheels are not OEM... very sneaky;)

·
Registered
502 Posts
all of the 997 turbo wheels on ebay are just turbo "style" wheels. The ones that are listed for $1949 vs the rest that are around $800 are just playing the old if I list them for more they are better game... Also there is a set that is listed with OEM center caps, so if you search by OEM they come up, even though the wheels are not OEM... very sneaky;)
Actually the ones for $1949 are different, that price is for a wheel/tire package. It may or may not be the same rim but the higher priced come with tires mounted and balanced. If it is the same one I see, it is from wheeldynamics (sponsor). It is 1199 without the tires. The bad...front 30lbs, rear 34lbs. I guess if you only want it for street wheels it would work out.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Take a look at the chart in that Car and Driver article. Going from a 40 lb tire/wheel combo to a 54 lb tire/wheel combo (a 35% increase) lowered 0-60 times from 7.9 to 7.6 seconds, decreased braking from 130 to 126 feet, and increased road holding from .83 G to .88 G.
??

So INCREASING wheel/tire weight improved acceleration times, handling, and decreased braking distances?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts