Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have located two 987.2 Cayman S's that I have been exchanging emails with the dealers on. What is reasonable offer I can make to them for these cars?

Car 1 - 2010 Cayman S (CPO)
Price - $46,988
20,000 miles
Manual Transmission
No major options
Looks like there were two previous owners
Carfax showing it has been "listed for sale" since June 2014, which seems odd

Car 2 - 2009 Cayman S
Price - $46,788
30,000 miles
PDK
Bose
One owner
Carfax showing it has been listed for sale since November 2014

Would it be unreasonable to get either of these cars for $41,000 - $42,000? I want to offer enough where it makes sense for the dealer, of course, but I'm wondering whether they should be more willing to negotiate if they've had these on their lots for a while now.

Thanks!

·
Registered
895 Posts
The dealers are out to take every dollar they can from you so do not be so benevolent when it comes to dealers. Get the lowest price you can and let the next person overpay.

They are different cars. Which do you prefer? PDK or Manual? CPO or none. CPO is nice to have for sure. If no strong preference, use one against the other to neg. the best deal.

Most dealers seldom will put the first stake in the ground for a price other than what it's listed for + TTL + fees.

Once you decide, make a low ball offer (38 grand + you pay and take care of TTL). This may seem crazy but it can work and will give you the best chance to get the best price.

Recently a dealer quoted me an OTD price of ~44,500. I offered 34,700 OTD. After much game playing, the SM said 35,500 and I said sold. The next day the GM refused to sell at that price.

Once you neg. a price, make sure it is contingent on a satisfactory (by your standards) PPI and test drive, with all monies refunded if you do not buy.

Good luck,

Eddie

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
When I bought my 2010 MT car last year , the dealer was asking $48,800. without CPO. I offered $47,000 WITH CPO. They waited till the next to last day of the month but they called me and said they would take that if I could close the deal before month end. Now 1 1/2 years later you might be able to buy that 2010 for $42k. $44 for sure. I expect that you have more leverage on the MT car than on the PDK. Most seem to want PDK now. Question is. Which one do YOU want?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I emailed the dealer on the 2009 and said I would offer $41k. He responded that they paid more for the car, so they wouldn't be able to go that low. To be honest, I would prefer to have a manual car anyway if given the choice, so the 2010 is more appealing. I went through with the same $41,000 offer and they weren't willing to get down to that price. Not sure I really want to pay more than that, though.

·
Registered
895 Posts
If you were so inclined, never believe one iota of what a dealer tells you. And if they did, they overpaid and that is their problem.

Buying a car with a CPO enforce from an individual will transfer to you too. Call PCNA CS to confirm CPO info.

Be patient and search often and you will find your Cayman.

Eddie

...He responded that they paid more for the car...

·
Registered
895 Posts
I know you prefer a manual, but here's what my search found tonight.

2009 Porsche Cayman S

PDK is about 3+ grand so find this car (in a color you like) and you're good to go at below 40k.

Have you driven a CS with PDK? If not, you should. I was out for a spirited drive today. All I did was drive my PDK Cayman concentrating on the road and car with no concern for shifting, missed down or up shifts or doing it faster. My PDK handled all that way better than I ever could and did so flawlessly.

Not trying to convert you; only suggesting you keep an open mind until you do a test drive one (and a good test drive).

The only major problem IMO with a 987.2 Cayman (Base or S) is the shifter linkage. If it breaks, this can leave you stranded at best and cause an accident at worst.

IMHO, the 987.2 with PDK eliminates all major Cayman problems (save the water pump) and is a car that can be bought with high confidence with no warranty if subjected to a thorough PPI.

Eddie

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Eddie. I haven't started looking at Craigslist yet, so perhaps I should start.

I also haven't had the opportunity to drive a PDK yet. I did have an S4 with their version of a dual-clutch transmission and it was awesome. I just had so much fun driving that 2007 manual I took out a couple months ago that I realized how much I miss shifting my own gears. I do realize that "fun factor" could quickly disappear after a day stuck in LA's infamous traffic.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
The only major problem IMO with a 987.2 Cayman (Base or S) is the shifter linkage. If it breaks, this can leave you stranded at best and cause an accident at worst.

IMHO, the 987.2 with PDK eliminates all major Cayman problems (save the water pump) and is a car that can be bought with high confidence with no warranty if subjected to a thorough PPI.

Eddie
Or you could buy a set of Numeric cables and throw in their SSK while you're at it and your shift linkage will be indestructible.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you typically just fill out the standard contact form on the dealer's car detail page, or do you look up a particular person in their dealer personnel directory? Will you decide based on pictures whether you want to move forward on a car and then throw a price out there on the initial email? I think I need to start lower than what I am comfortable paying in order to start a dialogue, per recommendations above.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Do you typically just fill out the standard contact form on the dealer's car detail page, or do you look up a particular person in their dealer personnel directory? Will you decide based on pictures whether you want to move forward on a car and then throw a price out there on the initial email? I think I need to start lower than what I am comfortable paying in order to start a dialogue, per recommendations above.
Depends on your personality. I don't enjoy the bargaining so I do my research and make an offer that I AM willing to pay. THEN I stick to my offer for however long it takes or until they turn me down. I just tell them that I don't enjoy the bargaining and that the offer is the offer. I don't ever call them back. I wait for them to call me back. There is ALWAYS another car.

·
Registered
895 Posts
You're welcome. This will make your clist search much easier.

SearchTempest: Search all of Craigslist nationwide & more

You're in LA? I'm gad its your money you're spending for a manual. :)

We were there a couple years ago and there was a 6+ mile backup on a Sunday at 11:00 with no accident.

Good luck,

Eddie

P.S. As a member mentioned, there is a solution to the shifter cable problem, but bear in mind, it's an additional $1,000-$2,000 to do this. Others may give a more accurate cost.
Thanks, Eddie. I haven't started looking at Craigslist yet, so perhaps I should start.

I also haven't had the opportunity to drive a PDK yet. I did have an S4 with their version of a dual-clutch transmission and it was awesome. I just had so much fun driving that 2007 manual I took out a couple months ago that I realized how much I miss shifting my own gears. I do realize that "fun factor" could quickly disappear after a day stuck in LA's infamous traffic.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The dealer responded on Car 1, confirming they have had the car since June. He mentioned the current near $47k price is market value for this car with CPO. I let him know I would pay $41k and that he can reach out if they are ready to move the car. That is a long time for a car to be sitting on a dealer lot though, isn't it?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Does the PDK have sport chrono option? If you are looking for performance or track use, that is a must have option. Options make a difference in the pricing for sure. Data point, in late 2013, bought a CPO '09 CS PDK sport chrono, sport seats, 19's, nav/bose 37k miles for $44k. So any '09 you find should be less than that. '10 has a bit more leverage due to the model year though.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
I think that the prices are too high for the amount of miles on the vehicles you listed . They also lack options like sport seats, sport chrono or PASM. You should be able to search online for a car with better options and lower miles at a lower price.

·
Registered
659 Posts
FWIW.Check the back of the Panarama magazine. There is a 2010 CS 20K miles,PDK,PASM,sport chrono,Limited slip, unknown type of seats. Asking 40K in Texas.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I would reply that I know the exact market value and it is 41k since that's what I'll pay now. Dealers are such tools.

Eddie

The dealer responded on Car 1, confirming they have had the car since June. He mentioned the current near $47k price is market value for this car with CPO. I let him know I would pay $41k and that he can reach out if they are ready to move the car. That is a long time for a car to be sitting on a dealer lot though, isn't it?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
think you have to be patient to get a good deal. Sooner or later they need to sell some cars. I had two dealers tell me the same cost story. I think they are trained to say that to combat the Internet, knowing that most people want to buy locally for convenience and thinking they will get better treatment in the service shop. I always play out of town deals as my trump card, but have to be willing to walk if my offer isn't accepted. My deal is over 2500 miles away so it isn't convenient but there are ways nowadays to make that work easier than before.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts