Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently caught up with a friend and had a go in his Caterham 7 R500. Just a modest 230bhp but weighing only 460kg/1014lbs equates to 500+bhp/t. A couple of drawbacks, in that it has no windshield or doors but if you like back to basics driving this is just the ticket... that is until it rains..

Made a short video logging our experience but made me think about what's important in a car, the 981 is great but you have to push it quite hard to put it under any pressure, in the 7 you are feeling on edge and very exposed at any speed but you are more limited by longer distances.

https://youtu.be/r0Pic3DLqYA

So how would you take yours?

Attachments

·
Registered
817 Posts
Recently caught up with a friend and had a go in his Caterham 7 R500. Just a modest 230bhp but weighing only 460kg/1014lbs equates to 500+bhp/t. A couple of drawbacks, in that it has no windshield or doors but if you like back to basics driving this is just the ticket... that is until it rains..

Made a short video logging our experience but made me think about what's important in a car, the 981 is great but you have to push it quite hard to put it under any pressure, in the 7 you are feeling on edge and very exposed at any speed but you are more limited by longer distances.

https://youtu.be/r0Pic3DLqYA

So how would you take yours?
Great video and photography, I appreciate the effort you put into it.

·
Registered
949 Posts
That is a fair question. But I have a better one for you : why is everybody driving in the wrong lane? And why are you allowed to pass on a two lane road - didn't you hear that it is very dangerous to do so and not recommended by California Bureau of Motor Vehicles?

OK, first one is a joke (I had to); the second one, tragically so, is not a joke. Since most world seemingly follows California's insanity (whatever that might be) like lemmings, prepare yourselves to have those white lines repainted into one (or double) solid white line and added signage where it says that red cars cannot be on the right of the black cars :)

Red car.jpg

Seriously, though, it is a hard call here. I never had a chance to drive Caterham 7 so I miss direct experience to meaningfully talk about it. I like 981 for the perfect balance between assaulting your senses (ears, fingertips, seat of your pants, even nose) and being civilized enough to drive it for close to 3 hours without stopping to the track in almost full comfort when required. I wouldn't mind taking Caterham 7 on the trailer to the track, not sure I would decide to drive it on US Interstate. But then again, I never had the occasion to drive it and once I saw it live on the track, it came there on the trailer.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Clearly the the Caterham is a 4 wheel motorcycle. The closest I've gotten to this experience is with my 07 Honda S2000. It of course has the advantage of a top during rain and both air conditioning and heater. Non-the-less when the top is down and the road is curvy it is a hoot to drive. It is a lot more raw than my 14 CS and can be a lot of fun at 8/10ths. I bought it to replace my motorcycle which I decided that I was past my prime riding age and should not push my luck on California roads. My 981 on the other had is a GT. It is, as we know, way too fast to drive at 8/10 on public roads. But, I love it for reasons very different than the S2000.
Great video, Thanks!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Great video! I hope you do some more.

I always wondered what the Caterham would be like.

RickH:

I understand your description of the S2000. I had a Mazdaspeed Miata with modifications that was putting out close to 200 WHP and it was a raw, fun experience. Much more agile than my Boxster, but with much lower limits. It was geared completely different and reved about 3900 rpm at 75 mph vs my pdk Boxster at 2100 rpm at the same speed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the great response.

I've followed up with part 2. Filming was cut short because of the issues I had which are covered in this one. Consider subscribing on YouTube if you enjoy them as they will keep coming and hopefully get better and better!

https://youtu.be/JrW-CGruWJA

·
Registered
289 Posts
In my opinion the Cayman is too insulated and "soft". I'd much prefer something like a fixed roof S2000, but alas they never built one. My Cayman is the cushiest car I've ever owned actually.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts