Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This probably isn't even a 981 specific question as I'm sure plenty of you have been driving other cars for years now with a rear view camera on them.

My car isn't quite as sparkling clean right now as she was when I picked her up and the view through the camera is... shall we say... less than optimal.

So I'm wondering... if I just wipe my finger across it, or wipe it off with a kleenex or something, will I eventually grind the lens into a hazy worthless mess, or are they made out of something that's scratch resistant and meant to stand up to such "abuse"?

Do I have to wait until I can hose it off while washing the car to avoid killing it slowly over time?

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
It should be fine to do that with your finger but why not just use a Kleenex and some windex?

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It should be fine to do that with your finger but why not just use a Kleenex and some windex?
Yeah... maybe I'll keep an eyeglass cleaning kit in the car just for this. But if it's made of a tiny piece of sapphire crystal or something and completely impervious to the world, it would be nice to know that up front. Even more so... if people who've had one for a few years (obviously not Porsche) have had them end up wrecked, that would be really great to know as well. :)

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
No, do not use windex, at least the one with ammonia (I forget why but the one with ammonia is not meant for tint? delicate glass? I forget). I have no idea how delicate the lens is and it is probably meant to take abuse. But, in general, coatings can come off camera lens. Of course, its a cheap lens but Porsche will probably cost you hundreds to replace.

Use a tissue meant for eyeglasses and liquid meant to clean them. Or get some ROR, but that is probably overkill. Do not use rough kleenex or a napkin. Microfiber towels meant for lens cleaning are fine and cost maybe $10. I have never touched the backup camera lens in any car. It rains, it gets wet. It dries and disappears. Same when washing the car.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
No, do not use windex, at least the one with ammonia (I forget why but the one with ammonia is not meant for tint? delicate glass? I forget). I have no idea how delicate the lens is and it is probably meant to take abuse. But, in general, coatings can come off camera lens. Of course, its a cheap lens but Porsche will probably cost you hundreds to replace.

Use a tissue meant for eyeglasses and liquid meant to clean them. Or get some ROR, but that is probably overkill. Do not use rough kleenex or a napkin. Microfiber towels meant for lens cleaning are fine and cost maybe $10. I have never touched the backup camera lens in any car. It rains, it gets wet. It dries and disappears. Same when washing the car.
Ammonia is bad for tint due to a reaction with the chemicals in it. I've never heard of it being bad for lenses though. Is that true? I'm not a camera aficionado.

If this is the case... I'll dump the Windex I just put in a bottle for this. :D I put it in a little packet with a microfibre lens cloth... so at least I got it half right. :D

FWIW, this isn't something I'm trying to be picky about. I'm well past my neurotic detailing days. This is just for giving it a quick wipe when the car is filthy for it to still be useful. Then it comes to actually washing the car... well, just wiping over it with the wash mitt should be fine once it's been blasted with the hose. This thread is just about not accidentally ruining it.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Ammonia is bad for tint due to a reaction with the chemicals in it. I've never heard of it being bad for lenses though. Is that true? I'm not a camera aficionado.
I would NEVER use windex on a photographic lense. Ever. The little microfiber cloth is best. Distilled water would be fine. Tap water probably fine. ROR is the best. I do know quite a bit about photography lenses. The thought makes me shudder, but this is not a real photography lens but a cheapo thing probably cost $10 at radio shack or $1000 from your Porsche Dealer. ;)

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok... Googled ROR... still have no idea what you guys are talking about. :D Assuming it's some lens cleaner. Also assuming if I buy a bottle of eyeglass cleaner at the supermarket it will be just peachy for the purpose, right? Or are camera lenses (even cheapo ones) somehow different from eyeglass lenses?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I would NEVER use windex on a photographic lense. Ever. The little microfiber cloth is best. Distilled water would be fine. Tap water probably fine. ROR is the best. I do know quite a bit about photography lenses. The thought makes me shudder, but this is not a real photography lens but a cheapo thing probably cost $10 at radio shack or $1000 from your Porsche Dealer. ;)
What chow said. The professional liquid cleaner they sell for cleaning glass (lenses) is just that: distilled water. I have a combination of brushes, Q-tips and microfiber cloth I use for my Nikon glass. Never use Windex or alcohol. If you treat your windows like you'd treat your photographic glass, can't go wrong with that.

Here's my favorite brush: Amazon.com : Nikon 7072 Lens Pen Cleaning System : Camera Cleaning Kits : Camera & Photo

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Ok... Googled ROR... still have no idea what you guys are talking about. :D Assuming it's some lens cleaner. Also assuming if I buy a bottle of eyeglass cleaner at the supermarket it will be just peachy for the purpose, right? Or are camera lenses (even cheapo ones) somehow different from eyeglass lenses?
ROR ROR Residual Oil Remover (2.0 oz) RO212D B&H Photo Video

There is no better cleaner for camera optics than this. Lens pens are good too. Both are probably overkill for this little lens.

Yes, eyeglass cleaner will be fine for this purpose.

Are camera lens different from eyeglass lenses. Yes, far far different. Eyeglass lens is, in general, a single lens or a bit more complicated with progressive or trifocal lens. A camera lens might have multiple lens in the barrel, some being very expensive elements inside. Some are made of flourite crystals that are grown but not the external lens you see. That external element will have an expensive coating on it that can be damaged, scratched, etc.

But all this is massive overkill when talking about that cheapo backup camera lens that, seriously, I doubt cost more than $100.

Stop worrying. Your fine. :) No windex. plain water and microfiber towel is good.

·
4,088 Posts
Yeah... maybe I'll keep an eyeglass cleaning kit in the car just for this.
Funny you mention this because I keep several of these lens cleaning packets in my car. Originally to clean off my go pro camera but now I just use them to clean the cheap plastic aluminum door/dash trim. I can't stand these dirty. I like yours much better.

P.S. Windex does have ammonia in it and alcohol. So what. It's not going to harm your lens. The salt on the roads being kicked up which lands on your lens has more ammonia in it than Windex. It's not an issue.

I went through contortions trying to find the right windshield washer for my Porsche as specified in the owners manual. The washer fluid with these specs is hard to fine unless you go to the Porsche dealer and pay 10 times the price. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. Life is too short to worry about these things. :2cents::cheers:

Reactions: Wild Weasel

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
P.S. Windex does have ammonia in it and alcohol. So what. It's not going to harm your lens.
Sorry, just not true. While this is just one website, i don't know anyone who uses expensive lens who would ever dream of using windex on an expensive lens. Its just plain scary to even think about it.

The DV Show: How to Clean Your DSLR’s Lens "Your DSLR lenses are not windows. Don’t use any glass cleaning product or any cleaner that contains ammonia as they can damage or even strip the lens coating."

Its actually frightening. This isn't like some washer fluid. Lens elements aren't cheap.

Some cheapo backup camera? Go for it. But still not a good idea.

·
4,088 Posts
Sorry, just not true. While this is just one website, i don't know anyone who uses expensive lens who would ever dream of using windex on an expensive lens. Its just plain scary to even think about it.

The DV Show: How to Clean Your DSLR’s Lens "Your DSLR lenses are not windows. Don’t use any glass cleaning product or any cleaner that contains ammonia as they can damage or even strip the lens coating."

Its actually frightening. This isn't like some washer fluid. Lens elements aren't cheap.

Some cheapo backup camera? Go for it. But still not a good idea.
Nope, check out their FAQs. It is safe to use on camera lens. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about Windex®

But I have no issue with folks using much more expensive products to clean a lens. Heck, I bought a 82k Porsche to get me from point A to B....sort of. lol

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Nope, check out their FAQs. It is safe to use on camera lens. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about Windex®

But I have no issue with folks using much more expensive products to clean a lens. Heck, I bought a 82k Porsche to get me from point A to B....sort of. lol
Sorry, that is not what it says. It says:

Can both products be used on aluminum, acrylic, brass or lacquered brass, chrome, eye glasses, camera lenses, stainless steel, computer/TV screens (plasma/LCD), car interiors, car windows?

Yes, they are safe to use on aluminum, chrome, stainless steel and car windows.​

It does not say its safe to use on camera lenses, computer/tv screens, car interiors, etc. It gives a partial answer.

I can't imagine that ANY professional, or serious photographer, would ever let windex w/ammonia anywhere near their lenses.

I can find dozens on references about this

http://www.steves-digicams.com/know...ation/how-to-clean-your-camcorder-lens.html#b
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/lens_filter_cleaning.html
https://books.google.com/books?id=y...onepage&q=using windex on camera lens&f=false
http://eng-na.faq.panasonic.com/app...my-camera-lens.-any-suggestion-on-cleaning-it

I am sure somebody has done it but anyone with thousands of dollars of quality lenses would never let it anywhere near their kit.

This backup camera is a disposable cheap thing. Letting windex near a $2K or $10K lense is downright frightening.

·
4,088 Posts
I can't imagine that ANY professional, or serious photographer, would ever let windex w/ammonia anywhere near their lenses.
We are talking about WW - I presume he is not a professional or serious photographer and it's not being used on an expensive camera. If you don't want ammonia in your cleaner, you can get ammonia free windex. https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...Wg&ei=4oSbVMbOHfbasATyqoDgAg&ved=0CPEBEKYrMAg

My point is that someone doesn't need to get an expensive cleaner for the rear view camera to clean it.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
We are talking about WW ...

My point is that someone doesn't need to get an expensive cleaner for the rear view camera to clean it.
That I agree with and said just use water (free) and a microfiber towel. :)

windex ... it gives me the shivers ... :helpme:

WW is overthinking.

·
4,088 Posts

Reactions: Wild Weasel

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:hilarious:

How is it that every time I start a thread, even about something trivial, it all goes bonkers?? :D

Ok... so this is about the backup camera and not expensive photo lenses or anything. I have to expect that if you treated a camera lens the way the world treats backup cameras, pelting them constantly with dirt and grime and salt and whatever else, they'd be complete garbage within hours. That's why I started this thread specifically about backup cameras and hoped that people could relay some experience about having had them for years.

It stands to reason that even if they're cheap POS's so far as cameras go, the outer lens on them may well be made out of some very expensive hard crystal or something simply out of pure necessity. It's so small that it still probably wouldn't cost much to do it.

I'm actually surprised to hear that distilled water is a good option. My biggest worry was that I'm smearing grime across the lens and that this would eventually scratch it up. I thought lens cleaners would have some sort of lubrucating agent to prevent this and that just being wet wouldn't be a good solution. Seems I was wrong there, so that's cool.

So I'm going to dump the Windex back into the big bottle, get some eyeglass cleaner, and call it a day. Only because eyeglass cleaner probably won't freeze in the winter and burst the little container and make a mess of my glovebox. :D

I think the biggest point made here is the one that wasn't made. So far, nobody has said they've had one ruined, so that's a good sign that it's just not something to be concerned with. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts