Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there! I just bought myself a 986 2003 boxster and am really enjoying it. However, I am wondering if the engine is sounding like it should. Moreover, I have the feeling that there is a slight ticking sound, but from reading forums this could be also a characteristic of the flat 6. Since I have no comparison material I was hoping to hear your opinion or some reference material on what I should be expecting.

Here is how mine sounded today (cold start):

another video:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Doesn’t sound normal to me, hopefully someone else can chime with thoughts. Should be running smooth. But a better sound closer to the engine may help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesn’t sound normal to me, hopefully someone else can chime with thoughts. Should be running smooth. But a better sound closer to the engine may help?

Here is another video:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Sounds like every Porsche I have owned in the last 20 years. These engines make noise. Their cylinders are flat and only inches from the pavement under the car amplifying all the mechanical sounds completely different than a standard V config sitting high and upright up front. The closer you get, the louder it all will be and they make more noise on cold start, especially after sitting for a while. Ever hear a classic VW bug engine compared to other car engines? Its a similar design and position on the ground however much of the ticking sounds you hear in a modern Porsche are the injectors clacking open and closed as they run at very high pressure and voltage.

If you are worried then I would suggest sending an oil sample off for analysis and they will be able to tell you if there are signs of any metals or other contaminants in the oil indicating a problem inside, or if everything looks just like it should for a car of its age. Its always good to have baseline "lab" values on your new car anyway as a reference for any future changes :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, the better videos help, I think it sounds pretty good. I would not be concerned. Bur cleaning the intake plenum and throttle body can be on a future to do list.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts