Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I'm picking up a 2013 Boxster S with ~5k miles on it. Obviously, its not been driven much. So I'm curious about a couple of things. I want to make up for all the miles that haven't been put on it yet, but being a 4 year cars with a little over 1k miles a year, should I ramp slowly or watch out for anything? I had a PPI done and everything checked out perfect except for a non-op top (bad sensors) which is being repaired now.

Also, it has had each year's maintenance interval done, except for the 4 year. What are everyone's thoughts on the need for new plugs now? I've done some searching on here but no examples quite like this.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I deferred the plugs on the new to me 2013CS. Dealer told me that it really was to make sure the plugs don't seize. Computer will need to be reset.

Drive it like a normal Porsche. Have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Has the brake fluid been flushed on time? If unsure I'd flush. Check the date codes on the tires and look for any signs of cracking, they could be 5 years old if the car was built in 2012. Is the battery original? May need to replace soon. I'd probably do the plugs but that's just me. Best of luck.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
The 4 year maintenance is the major maintenance which will cost around $1400 if done by a Porsche dealership. A brake flush is included in the 4 year maintenance. You can save yourself some money by deferring the plug replacement until next year. The car should be driven normally, since it has long passed the break-in mileage recommendation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all! I'll have to check about brake flush, I know it was done at 2 years. I'm considering going ahead and doing the oil, brake fluid, and plugs sometime later this year so that I know exactly what I put in it and when I did it. Plan on doing the majority of the maintenance myself, so the cost isn't really a blocker.

Also, it was built in mid 2013, so right at 4 years old. I'll make sure I note the tire dates though.

·
Registered
514 Posts
All good comments. The only thing I'll add is that replacing plugs regularly is probably more important now than it used to be since Porsche no longer puts anti-seize on the threads, which I find a little scary, but they know best. Not sure what year they stopped, maybe 2013 still had it. Or I guess you could just loosen and re-torque them (they should last much longer than the time/mileage Porsche specifies), but they're not that expensive so probably makes sense to just replace them. When you have your brakes flushed, if it is a manual make sure they (you) also do the often-missed clutch.

My car is strictly for fun so also does not get a lot of miles, but it does get driven regularly which (I think) is better than sitting idle for long periods.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.