Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering adding the 3rd radiator kit to my BS. The write-up on Schnell Auto is very detailed and helpful. However, they recommend using a vacuum system for replacing the coolant to eliminate the air pockets that get formed. Not having access to the device they use I was wondering what others might recommend? MY other option is to have Porsche do the coolant flush - presumably they all do some form of vacuum replacement to prevent air gaps. Anyone familiar with the Porsche coolant flush procedure? Thanks in advance.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,784 Posts
I recently installed a third radiator kit on my '08 Boxster S. I pre-assembled the hoses onto the center radiator, clamped one hose with a hose pinch pliers and pre-filled the radiator with coolant/distilled water mixture, then clamped the other hose with another hose pinch pliers. I temporarily suspended the radiator with a bungee cord, placed a drain bucket under each side radiator, and quickly removed each radiator plug and inserted each side hose in its place. After removing the hose pinch pliers, buttoning everything up, driving the car for a bit to bring it up to operating temperature and letting it cool off overnight, I needed to add about a quart of coolant mix to the reservoir to top it off up to the maximum level. It's an old school, shade tree mechanic method, but it doesn't require a vacuum fill.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
34,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks, this sounds similar to what Schnell used, only better as they could not hook up to the coolant line. How well did it work?
I first tried the same one Schnell used in their blog, but as they stated it would not seal on the reservoir fill from the trunk and I wanted to see if there was a different option available that would preclude having to remove the engine cover. I then tried the Schwaben unit from ECS. This one had the correct size adapter for the fill port in the trunk, but it would not seal either due to an air vent integrated into this fill port. So I ended up having to remove the engine cover anyway and do it as explained in the Schnell blog.

In order to get a proper seal from the trunk fill port, the adapter for the vacuum tool will need to thread onto the fill port just like the cap does. I'd be willing to bet that Porsche techs have an adapter that works, which also saves over an hour of labor and the pain of removing/reinstalling the interior trim pieces required get access to the engine compartment.

I think it might be worth getting a spare fill cap and making a hole that will accept the vacuum tool. Gonna start looking...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Any updates on how to bleed coolant without a compressor/vacuum tool? I'm installing a third radiator soon so i'll guess the post #2 method.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I just ran it a few times to put a little heat in it, and let it cool back down, top off. The system self-bled. You have to be really careful until the air gets out because it can overheat in a hurry.

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
Run engine for awhile with cap open or pulled vent and the air will work it's way out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts