Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Sprinsteen fanatic
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies if this is a stupid question, but I've always heard about this 'list' you need to be on in order to buy some of the rarer / exclusive models. So I am interested in the new GT3 with the manual transmission (not interested in going through the PDK vs. MT debate). I was just going through the motions to pick up a CPO 2015 GT3 when I learned that the new one was going to be featured at the Geneva show. Anyway, do I just call up my dealer and tell them to put me on this 'list'? I know there has to be a lot more to it than that. I have owned 5 Porsches in the last 10 years, but I did not buy all of them from the same dealer, so I'm not on any dealers' favorite customer list. The dealer I ordered my 2016 Cayman GTS from is the one with whom I have the most history. I also purchased a 2008 Cayman S Sport and a 2012 Audi S5 from them, but I'm no Jerry Seinfeld or Jay Leno (though I did buy a motorcycle from Jay Leno...but that's a different story).

Again, apologies if this is a dumb question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Call the dealer you have most history with. Best if you have a contact there already. tell them you want to place a deposit on the upcoming GT3. Worst they can do is decline. If so then start calling around other dealers. It's likely most dealers already have a list of deposits. As to the "list" itself- there is no official, formal process and no transparency.

·
Sprinsteen fanatic
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks zedcat. I will call them tomorrow. Do people leave deposits at multiple dealers and if so, I'm assuming (hoping) these are refundable?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I have heard of people placing multiple deposits but I've not done that. The amount of the deposit and whether it's refundable varies by dealer. There may also be state laws that govern. I've done deposits on GT cars and they were not that much (on the order of 1500). If/when you get an allocation the dealer may request a further larger deposit. When you place a deposit be sure to get a receipt and make it clear the pricing is at MSRP or agreed premium. I've done deposits after the cars were announced and the configurator open so that we had an initial spec, and order form with MSRP pricing. In my experience it's good to register interest early and to be patient. Follow the usual forums to see what others are experiencing. Be ready to act quickly if an opportunity comes up. Best of luck.

·
Sprinsteen fanatic
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I sent an email to my contact at the dealership where I bought the two Caymans and the Audi. Will call them tomorrow. I'm also going to call the dealer I was talking to about the CPO GT3

·
Sprinsteen fanatic
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will let you know what they tell me.

As far as the configurator goes, I looked but the GT3 isn't listed as a model (but GT3 RS is)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Geneva show starts March 9. If the 991.2 GT3 is indeed announced then the US configurator should be up shortly after. The RS in the configurator is the 991.1 and will be gone soon. Think production is done.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yea, I've heard of the list also. I first heard it in reference to some Ferrari models. Then I noticed actors and singers with no particular auto connection started showing up driving the cars. I'm talking Justin Bieber types. So IMO I think the list is bunk! I think money and celebrity is all it takes. I think if you put a large deposit, say $5K, and agreed to a non-refundable portion if you did not take possession, you would magically be on the so called "list". You might even be moved to the top of the list. lol

·
Sprinsteen fanatic
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I called dealer as zedcast suggested. There are 14 people in front of me on the list for a 991.2 GT3 and dealer said they might get 4-5 allocations.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I called dealer as zedcast suggested. There are 14 people in front of me on the list for a 991.2 GT3 and dealer said they might get 4-5 allocations.

Sounds about right at this stage. Did you place a deposit? You may also want to call around to other area dealers. Very likely some of those on "the list" will drop off over time. The number of allocations a dealer gets depends on various factors including whether they are a premier dealer, their sales volume, etc. (Then there is the VIP program for 918 buyers that I think is still in effect in the US). It's typical for there to be a frenzy early on and seemingly very limited allocations then with time more allocations become available. I waited a long time for the GT4 but eventually got an allocation. Same on a GT3. Now truly limited models like the 911R is a different story. Just speculation on my part but I think Porsche will build a good number of the regular 991.2 GT3.

·
Sprinsteen fanatic
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the feedback. The dealer did send me a Buyer's Order and asked for a $500 deposit. I made sure they wrote that the car would be sold at MSRP (it is clearly stated on BO). Thank you. I am still going to call a couple of other dealers to see if their lists are any shorter.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts

Don't be discouraged by these numbers. Many of the people are on the same list at many dealers so they will drop out one by one as their orders get filled by the other dealer or they just decline to get the GT3. Same thing happened with the GT4. If you want a GT3, you will get one.

·
Sprinsteen fanatic
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. I called another local dealer and they said basically the same thing. Give us a $500 deposit and we will create a dummy order at MSRP. This dealer went on to say that once a commission opened up, I would need to provide an additional $30,000 deposit and that if I backed out after ordering, I would forfeit the deposit. I thought $30k was a bit much. When I ordered my Cayman GTS, they insisted on a $5000 deposit because they told me I was crazy for ordering a PTS cat on Birch Green and if I backed out, they said they would never be able to sell the car. I didn't mind the $5k, but $30k seems like a lot, or am I blowing that out of proportion?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Thanks. I called another local dealer and they said basically the same thing. Give us a $500 deposit and we will create a dummy order at MSRP. This dealer went on to say that once a commission opened up, I would need to provide an additional $30,000 deposit and that if I backed out after ordering, I would forfeit the deposit. I thought $30k was a bit much. When I ordered my Cayman GTS, they insisted on a $5000 deposit because they told me I was crazy for ordering a PTS cat on Birch Green and if I backed out, they said they would never be able to sell the car. I didn't mind the $5k, but $30k seems like a lot, or am I blowing that out of proportion?

I think $30 K is a bit much - sounds like they're fishing to me. I'd be curious to know what dealer told you that as I'm from NJ as well.

I purchased my first Porsche fairly recently and Norman at Paul Miller was patient with me and got me the car I wanted - I couldn't have been happier with the he outcome. Easiest car transaction I've ever had.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I find that Paul Miller sales folks are a bit arrogant. Have had better luck with Cherry Hills and Catena Porsche in Edison. I am still on the hunt mind you so these are sales folks over the phone...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts