Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Often times our members want to share photos of their cars or even something else of interest along with a message topic that they post and while many members know how to do this, I find a number do not. Therefore, I've put together this little tutorial on how to put photos into your topics threads (either in a new post or a reply, it doesn't matter). This tutorial should serve as a compliment to the tutorial on uploading photos to our gallery.

There are 3 main ways to put photos into your topic:

1) Insert a photo by inserting a link to that photo wherever it exists already on the world wide web. This means that you or someone else has already "uploaded" the photo to a server somewhere on the Internet. You can use our own Gallery at Planet-9.com to host your photos by uploading to it (see separate tutorial on how to do so) or you can use some photo hosting service like photo bucket or image shack, etc. You CANNOT link to a photo that is on your local computer, that is not valid.

2) Insert a photo by inserting a link to a photo that has already been uploaded to either our Gallery, your personal photo Album in your profile, or your Garage here on Planet-9. This option is simply a more convenient option than #1 above if your photo has already been uploaded to Planet-9.com in one of those 3 locations. This option is NOT for photos that are on your local computer, unless you've already uploaded those to one of the three locations I've just mentioned. There are separate tutorials for uploading pictures to our gallery, albums or garage so I'd suggest looking those over if you aren't sure how to upload to one of those 3 locations.

3) Uploading a photo as an attachment. This option is for choosing photos that have not already been placed on the Internet somewhere but rather reside on your local computer hard drive or cd-rom, etc. There are size limitations to attachments so if you find that you are trying to upload a photo as an attachment and it won't work, it may be that your photo is too large and needs to be resized smaller before it can be uploaded.

Just a note that my personal preference is option #2 because I typically upload a bunch of photos to the gallery first, and then want to place them into various message topics. However, let's get started with option #1 first.

Option 1:

Here is a screen capture showing the button you need to click on to get started with option 1:

As you can see from the image, you click the icon in the message editor and a small dialog window will pop-up where you enter the URL or internet address of the location of your photo. If you have uploaded your photo to our gallery, below the photo in the gallery will be a listing that shows you its location. If you have another browser window open showing the picture you want to insert you can usually right click on that picture and choose the image properties to get the address or URL of the image. Remember this is not for an image on your computer, but for an image that is already uploaded to some server somewhere, including our own Planet-9.com server.

After you click the OK button, the site will put the link to your image into the message editor in BB Code form, meaning it will have IMG tags before and after the link. You can repeat this process to include links to multiple photos in single message topic. If you aren't sure whether or not you've inserted the link properly, you can click the Preview Post button and view your message in Preview Mode which will show the actual photo. Here is a screen capture showing that I've decided to check my photo link insertion by choosing to preview my topic before posting it.

Let's move on to my preferred method and that is Option 2

Option 2:

Option 2 is similar to Option 1 except the site does most of the work for you. Note that this option is again only for photos that have already been uploaded to Planet-9.com in one of 3 locations, our Gallery, your personal Album, or your Garage. If you have a photo on photo bucket you should choose option 1 above instead. Likewise if your photo is still on your computer and hasn't been uploaded to one of these 3 locations you should choose option 3 below instead.

Getting started with option 2 is easy, you simply click either the photo insert icon, or the text link under "My Photos" which is just below the smilie face insertion box to the right of the editor window. Here is a screen capture showing how to bring up the dialog window to choose a picture to insert.

What is nice about this option is that I have a drop down box that let's me choose the location of my photos, by default it will look in my personal album first, but if there are no photos there or not the one you are looking for you can use the drop down box to choose the gallery or the garage or even a prior attachment that you've uploaded for a previous post (let's you re-use your content with ease as opposed to repeating the process again and again). Once I see the photo I want to insert I simply click on the photo itself to insert it. I can also insert the photo in a number of ways, I can insert it full size, or as a thumbnail with a link to a larger photo, etc. again all available from the drop down box.

I strongly recommend that members upload photos into our Gallery since it will allow you to reference them again in the future and also help keep your photos organized. Option 2 allows you to choose from them easily and insert them in a variety of ways. Let's turn to Option 3.

Option 3:

Option 3 is the act of attaching a photo as an attachment to a post. You can also attach word documents, PDF's and other forms of media in the same way. This is the option you should choose if your photo is only on your local computer and you need to get it to the website for others to view. The only issues with uploading an image as an attachment is that images are more limited in size than with the prior 2 options, and once you attach an image to a post that is where it lives as opposed to say uploading it to the gallery first which would allow you to easily find the photo again later instead of trying hunt up a specific attachment in the future. Here is a screen capture showing how to get started with attaching one or more photos to your post.

The first step is to click the Manage Attachments button which is down below the Submit button in the "Additional Options" area beneath the editor window. I find many users never scroll down past the submit button so they aren't really aware of these extra options like adding attachments. When you click this button a dialog window will pop up showing what types of attachments are allowed, what restrictions are placed on each (such as image size), and there will be 3 text entry boxes with Browse buttons next to them for uploading photos.

The second step is to click one of the Browse buttons. This will in turn open a dialog box on your computer that will allow you to navigate your computer looking for the photo you wish to upload.

The third step is to click on the image you want to upload and cick the Open button. This will cause the file location on your computer to show up in the text entry box next to the Browse button.

You can repeat steps 2 and 3 for 1 or 2 more photos to attach/upload. Once you've selected the photo or photos you want to upload as attachments simply click the Upload button (upper one) and your computer will begin sending the photos from your computer to our server (copies will be sent, the originals will still be on your computer).

When the upload finishes you should see a listing of files that have been uploaded to the server both in the popup dialog window as well as next to the Manage Attachments button. See this following screen capture for an example:

In the dialog pop-up box there will also now be a remove button next to each item you uploaded, if you decide you don't want that item simply click the remove button. Otherwise, if you are finished uploading simply click the link to close that pop-up window or close the window with the standard close button in the upper right hand corner.

Now that you've added an attachment you might not be sure what it looks like, in order to see it, simply click the Preview Post button again. Here's an example:

Conclusion:

That's all there is to it folks, you have a variety of ways to add images to your topics and some features in some options that will allow you to manipulate how they appear. If you have any questions, comments or concerns please reply to this tutorial topic and we'll do our best to address them.

Sincerely,

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so I have to ask are these new tutorials I have been doing helpful? I see thus far only 45 people have read this topic and no replies as of yet. I would appreciate some feedback from our members (good or bad) so I can judge whether or not to continue doing these sorts of tutorials.

TIA!

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Ok so I have to ask are these new tutorials I have been doing helpful? I see thus far only 45 people have read this topic and no replies as of yet. I would appreciate some feedback from our members (good or bad) so I can judge whether or not to continue doing these sorts of tutorials.

TIA!
I find it helpful. I would think that another helpful tutorial topic is "How to write your own article". Telling members before they do they're DIY projects what makes a good article would enable them to kill 2 birds with one stone. You're doing the project anyways, why not take the time to make it into an article, and help the rest of us?

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I find it helpful. I would think that another helpful tutorial topic is "How to write your own article". Telling members before they do they're DIY projects what makes a good article would enable them to kill 2 birds with one stone. You're doing the project anyways, why not take the time to make it into an article, and help the rest of us?
There is already a step-by-step in the Articles section, I guess I could copy that here to the Tutorials section as well, would that suffice?

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
28 Posts
Am I doing something wrong to see pictures in the forum. I figure the pictures would be embedded into the forum post. Every thread I go to, I have to clink on the links to see the pictures. Do I have to enable this somewhere? Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
No I can't see your pictures without clicking the link. I don't understand it. I am running IE 8 if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I figured it out. In my options for my profile it wasn't selected to show pictures for some reason. Were all good now. Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
K-Man S,

I will be the first to say that I am a total photo attachment dummy. I haven't looked at the tutorial, your write-up above lost me after the 2nd sentence. I can't add photos to my motorcycle forum either, but did load my pic to Facebook, which was super easy. Looks like I'm the first 'thumbs down' comment ? Sorry.

·
Tennessee Vol
649 Posts

TIA!
Yes, thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts