Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a trip to Road Atlanta and I will like to see the track. I do not own any game consoles.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
293 Posts
I am planning a trip to Road Atlanta and I will like to see the track. I do not own any game consoles.

Thanks in advance
The first step is to watch videos of the track with a car similar to yours. Sign onto YouTube and spend some time going through the Road Atlanta vids. Pick the best ones, and download them to your pc. Plug your pc into the tv. Get a steering wheel and clamp it to a card table or something and set it up in front of your TV screen. If you don't have the shifter/pedals you can still get a pretty good feel of a lap. Run through the videos until you feel like you really know the track.

You'll be way ahead of where you would be if you just show up having never seen the track.

·
Registered
864 Posts
When I went to Road Atlanta for the SCCA Runoffs in the seventies, I bought the book "Driving in Competition" by Alan Johnson. This book is vintage, out of print, but good basic info. It can still be found at Amazon and others. One feature was a discussion of how to get around RA. The chicane before 12 did not exist when this book was written, and some think 12 is scarey now!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
It would be worth it to buy a Logitech Momo wheel for PC and join IRacing. Road Atlanta is a $15 add on to the IRacing software and the wheel is under $100.

I have driven thousands of laps at RA and feel that I know the track blindfolded. Every bump and dip is there since IRacing has performed complete laser scan of the track. The car physics are quite good as well.

It is a great way to get to know a track sight unseen.

I have GTR2 as well and have been learning the Nordschliefe. That takes considerably longer than any other track and I know it will pay off handsomely when I show up there one day.

Granted laps at the track are the best but a bit of cramming at home does not hurt one bit.

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all that have answered. I have found several videos in Utube, some better than others.

ladrovered thanks for the sugestion. Let me see what I can find here. I need to see if I can find the time since I am leaving next Saturday morning early. I also need to leave all my things in order back home.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Thanks to all that have answered. I have found several videos in Utube, some better than others.
I also have found it useful to get a track map and note in various colors, entry speeds, exit speed, gears, etc. This helps me refresh the track as I wait for the next DE session. THen after a session, review what I learned, braking points, and such. Get another copy of the track and revise my notes. I know this crude compared to Track mate and other computer aids but for now it really helps me. Ed

·
Registered
104 Posts
Not sure if this helps, (I haven't had the time to compile more useful Video from the 9hr Endurance Race at Road Atlanta last December), but I don have the Telemetry info.
These are the speeds (and G forces) from a lap around the track (1:24.9 lap in my Cayman racecar). The color grade plot corresponds to throttle position (Red=100%, Blue = <20%). I can give you more (speed, gears, etc.) if you want.

All I can say is the RAtlanta is the hardest scariest track in the East (I've run/raced most tracks). Big elevation changes and VERY blind (blinder than the NurburgRing); several placeds where your are going 100mph with only 100-150ft of track visibility.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts