Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first soft top car and I'm loving how quickly the top goes up and down but it's kind of annoying to maintain--the only time I envy Caymans. I have to be very careful while detailing as it seems wax is extremely tough to remove...

What's the best way to remove bird droppings? It seems like a bald eagle or pterodactyl had amazing aim and got me in traffic. Water won't remove the stain and I'm afraid of rubbing and causing piling. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
537 Posts
It's been almost 15 years since I owned a convertible, but I used a product called RaggTopp, which worked well. I still have a bottle in the garage.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I haven't had a stain yet but I just bought the RaggTopp kit and it comes with a soft brush to clean with. Not saying you need the kit but I imagine cleaning with your regular soap and a wash mitt or soft brush isn't likely to cause any problems if you're not too aggressive. The water really beads up on my top so if yours still has good beading qualities I would think the bird poop isn't stuck too badly. If it doesn't come off easy, then you could consider the RaggTopp cleaner.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use raggtopp and it works well. Not only cleans but you have the water protectant in the spray can which sheds water. Love it and have used it on my 2000 Boxster and now on the 2013.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I just ordered a Raggtopp kit from Amazon, haven't used it yet but heard good things about it. Water no longer beads from the fabric top so I guess it's time to wash and protect it.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Is the roof really that fragile? I can't just scrub it with a wash mitt?

I guess this is the sort of thing I really need to learn. :)

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Going off on a bit of a tangent, when the S2000 first came out, everyone thought it was cloth, they did such a good job with embossing a texture onto it. So, everyone went out and bought waterproofing stuff and Porsche tequipment cleaners and such. Turns out it was vinyl and all it needed was a good scrubbing. I think I still have some of that cloth top cleaner somewhere :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
have you tried just washing it? Our top is very strong. I just wash it every time I wash the car. Using foam gun.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Is the roof really that fragile? I can't just scrub it with a wash mitt?

I guess this is the sort of thing I really need to learn. :)
Yes, you'll learn with trial and error. What I learned is that the convertible top is almost like a lint magnet, and it will readily attract cotton, linen, and wool fibers. I typically hose off the top and then use a leaf blower to blow away the water which beads on convertible top. A few years ago I had my car serviced and apparently the dealership used a drying cloth on my convertible top. It took me about 30 minutes to remove all of those cloth fibers from the top.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
When I had a Boxster I used to struggle getting the lint off the top after I washed and tried the car. I eventually started using a lint removal tool ( the kind that comes in a roll with tear off sheets, with a handle). I would first roll the new sheet on something to reduce the tackiness, then roll it gently over the top). It worked well and did not appear to do any damage to the top.

·
Registered
197 Posts
When I wash my Boxster I usually start with the top. I bought a camel hair brush specifically for this and scrub it down ..not hard just enough to get anything out of the fibers and then rinse and move onto the body of the car. I also treat the top with a product called 303 fabric guard every 6 months which keeps the top pretty clean because it repels moisture.I have always owned convertibles and they are as good as you treat them. If you take care of them they last .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts