Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the best treatment to remove water spots/stains? Do I need to use a clay bar? Wax and quick detailer did not do the trick. What about vinegar? LOL

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
If they don't come off with washing, I think they are etched into the paint. The idea is to keep a good coat of "wax" on the car so the water beads (easier said then done on a DD). Once water marks are visible on clean paint, the only way I've been able to remove them is via buffing.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting choices. My car waxed and buffed on Saturday, my sprinklers hit it on Saturday night (by accident Grrrrr), and Sunday Morning I did spot waxing, but you could still see the outline of the water spots. Totally annoying.

I'll try a spot remover and see how that goes. I did forget to mention I have Black Paint like Snip, so everything shows up. It's gorgeous when clean, but man Black cars are so much work to get them there.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Interesting choices. My car waxed and buffed on Saturday, my sprinklers hit it on Saturday night (by accident Grrrrr), and Sunday Morning I did spot waxing, but you could still see the outline of the water spots. Totally annoying.

I'll try a spot remover and see how that goes. I did forget to mention I have Black Paint like Snip, so everything shows up. It's gorgeous when clean, but man Black cars are so much work to get them there.
You don't use wax to remove water spots. Use a polish. If you have a random orbital polisher, just apply a polish and the spots will quickly disappear when the orbital polisher is used. In terms of the polish to use, I have three different polishes. The idea is to start with the least abrasive polish and then move up to a more abrasive polish if necessary.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I too have a black paint. So far, carpro/gyeon are keeping them off. Also, using some quick detailer or waterless wash solution (as a last step) as part of your washing procedure regularly will help too. Don't try aggressive methods yet....

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I too have a black paint. So far, carpro/gyeon are keeping them off. Also, using some quick detailer or waterless wash solution (as a last step) as part of your washing procedure regularly will help too. Don't try aggressive methods yet....
I have a black 981S and I always use Griotts Spray On Car Wash as the last step in my washing. Prior to that I use to spend a long time trying to make the car spotless. So my procedure is to wash the car, rinse with a hose without a nozzle, dry with a leaf blower, and then finish it off with Griotts Spray On Car Wash and dry with a special microfiber drying towel designed specifically for Griotts Spray On Car Wash. I know the last step may seem like overkill, but it only adds about ten minutes to my wash time, and the result is a spectacular finish with no spotting.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If they're isolated spots I use Klasse All-in One. Put some on one of the yellow foam pads from Autogeek and rub very hard trying not to let the pad get too dry. If you have a bit of marring left behind, just polish it out with the same All in One, using less pressure than you did when you were correcting the water spot. Needless to say, if you've got more than a couple this method isn't going to work for you. All-in-One is a great swirl remover too.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
I am on a well and have hard water in my area and often have to deal with water spots. I find a good waxing prevents most spots but for those times the spots do appear I use Lime Away bathroom spray cleaner. Cheap and dissolves the spots like magic. No abrasion as it works chemically. I spray it on a microfiber cloth and wipe the spots away. I always wax again after using it as I suspect it removes the existing wax.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.