Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being new to Porsches, I don't know Bose from Boch. I have an '04 Boxster S with a CD23 in it. The speakers on the doors have the Bose logo on them and I've got a rectangular shaped bass at skull level between the two seats, as well as tweeters at the same level behind the passenger and driver.

Aside from having the VIN decoded, is there a way to tell what system I have? I'm wanting to know if I have the Bose system so that I can upgrade to the PCM 2.1 system without having issues related to upgrading a non-Bose system.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, I've been able to find the majority of my option codes and one of them is "680," which is supposed to be "Mj 01 Digital Sound Package". I assume that's the Bose system. Is that correct?

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
I'm not sure how the Bose was listed option-wise in the older 986 series Boxsters and it changed from the early implementation to the later ones. What you describe sounds like the Bose system, but I thought there was a Bose logo on the doors and on the sub woofer it was the Bose system.

As for upgrading to PCM 2.1 I don't think that's possible because I think 2.1 was new with the 997/987 series cars and replaced the older PCM system from the 986/996 days. I could be wrong but I think that's the case. On the bright side I think your car is pre-MOST bus meaning you can add all sorts of aftermarket options.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think it's still possible with the '04s. Suncoast lists the PCM 2.1 as an upgradable option for 2004 Boxsters.
If you're thinking about going the PCM route, I might be open to selling mine. I've been thinking about maybe switching to an aftermarket system. Let me know if that's what you decide to do and maybe we can make a deal.

·
Premium Member
4,145 Posts
If your bass is really muddy, it's a Bose.:hilarious:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Has anyone heard of a Bose Sound System upgrade or option to be able to load music directly to an onboard hard drive ... many cars are coming with this theses days ... load the DVD once .. basicsally rip the music of it and store it for repla instead of having to wait for the DVD player to switch CD's I N C R E D I B L Y ... S L O W

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Re: How to Tell if My Stereo is Bose - off topic

Has anyone heard of a Bose Sound System upgrade or option to be able to load music directly to an onboard hard drive ... many cars are coming with this theses days ... load the DVD once .. basicsally rip the music of it and store it for repla instead of having to wait for the DVD player to switch CD's I N C R E D I B L Y ... S L O W
That would be a function of the Head Unit, not the Bose (which is speakers and amps). Hard drives are not a great idea in a vehicle - some older units use them. Better to have a solid-state solution. My Pioneer, and many after-market HUs have both a USB interface, and an SD or CF slot. Either one will store lots of MP3s, and avoid the lag of spin-up you get with either a hard-drive or CD/DVD.

Oh, the USB will support some jump-drives, but compatibility is spotty. Just a heads-up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.