Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a 981 GTS with PTV. It is my first car with a LSD. I've read that eventually the clutch pack on the LSD will wear out - question is, how do I know? Is there a test?

Rich

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would love to know as well as I am looking to pick up one of two 981 GTS manual available and this would be my first Porsche.

Rippey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
628 Posts
On Miatas and S2000 it takes a loooot of abuse to wear out (or usually brake) friction rings of the LSD.
Usually a lot of drifting. And i mean a lot.

At the Porsche GT3 forums i've seen complaints that stock LSD stops being limited after just few months - so maybe P's diff is indeed much more weaker :crazy:

Anyway - i would start with the the usual way of checking for the LSD presence:
Jack up both rear wheels and move one tire by hand - if the tires move in the same direction (or one doesn't move), it means it has LSD.
If the other tire spins in opposite direction - it means the diff is open.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Jack up both rear wheels and move one tire by hand - if the tires move in the same direction (or one doesn't move), it means it has LSD.
If the other wheel doesn't move, LSD is completely worn out. But it doesn't take much to move it on the air. The easiest/cheapest test is to spin the rear wheels and see if both leave marks on the pavement;). That's why I like Torsen-type LSDs; they're always going to work:).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.