Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, newb question here, but what is the best way to tell if I need to buy new tires for my car. I bought a used 07 Cayman, porsche certified and all that, but I wanna know what to look for to know if I should buy new tires yet or not.

Cheers!

·
Registered
911 Posts
What kind of tires came on the car? There are different kinds of wear. The tread, the sidewall or edges (usually evident in tracked cars) and finally alignment issues. The PS2s have side or edge wear indicators. Alignment issues should be obvious. You may also find your rears are more worn than the fronts depending on alignment and type of use (or abuse). If you do replace just the rears it is recommended you use the same "N" rating.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
I believe what CMags said is correct. Also you can just look at your treads and see if they are getting even with the tire wear bars which are intermittently spaced in the tread grooves - in general, that's when you should definitely replace them. Note: if you drive a lot in the rain (probably not in California :) ), you might want to replace them earlier.

·
Registered
565 Posts
You might wanna look at more than just the wear. I bought a '07 Cayman that had the CPO warranty also. The tires were still the original tires that came on the car. I swapped out the wheels and tires a few weeks ago. I planned to keep the other tires on the stock wheels. They had to get the tire pressure monitors out of the stock wheels, and when they put one of the wheels on the tire machine, the machine punched right through the tire. They said it was likely because the tire was from '06. I'm just glad I didn't have a problem when on the road, if the sidewall was that brittle. So the date your tires were made should be taken into consideration also.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hey guys, newb question here, but what is the best way to tell if I need to buy new tires for my car. I bought a used 07 Cayman, porsche certified and all that, but I wanna know what to look for to know if I should buy new tires yet or not.

Cheers!
Just get down and have a close look, recommend checking the tread even on the inner side of the tire tread. If the tire has no tread left it's done, if there is a patch of white cloth starting to show through it's really done, if there are wires showing game over! Don't drive on it, it will lump out and pop. Very bad! :hilarious:

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Tire Tech Information - Tire Aging – Part #1

Tire Tech Information - Tire Aging – Part #2

Here is a couple of links to help. If I can help with anything let me know.
Agreed. Thanks for the info on tire aging. Some of us have very low mileage on our vehicles, yet the age of the tire has a great deal of importance in tire safety.

So, seems like the life span of an average tire is 6 - 10 years, according to the Tire Rack article. I have an old 1995 Jeep with the original spare tire in the trunk. I think it is time to retire that tire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.