Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

How do you tuck away the 6 point harness when you drive the car on the streets? Do you just let the "buckle" sit on top of the cushion? It seems rather painful to remove the lower belts without taking the seats out ... but then the quick release buckle just sort gets in the way between the legs ...

IMG_1810.JPG

·
Banned
2,307 Posts
Zinger i think you loop the sides (hips wrong) you need those hooked to the bolts of the original belts.. and there is a female hook to be bolted on the original bolt. they are not meant to go on the seat..

lemon

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Lemon. These are the GT3 seat belts actually. So they bolt right on to the dealt belt receptacle bolts etc. Rather than using another buckle to attach to the seat brackets. Hence the lap belts are not removable.

the pictures may be a little misleading, as the lap belts are actually coming out of the hole designed for lap belts (they aren't coming out from the top on the side of the seats)

thanks

·
Banned
2,307 Posts
there are hooks on the side .. you bolt them on the seat belt anchor points.

you need some more hard ware ..

you need two in the tunnel side.. and there is another for the outer side..

think about the it.. you want to stay hook to the body of the car during (knock on wood ) a crash.. if the seats go you go with the seat (your current set up)..

you also need a submarine crossbar underneath for the crotch harness.. 996 ones.. they work on your car.. and it must not be hook up to the seat..

i carry those btw..

lemon

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
There are no hooks on the side for the harness that Schroth made specifically for the OEM bucket seats / GT3. The lap straps' end do not have hooks to hook on to the L-shaped anchors you attached. The GT3 version only has a bolt in bracket stitched on to it. In fact, I believe this is an OEM part from Porsche Motorsports. The other Schroth harnesses are for generic use.

I use a Brey Krause sub bar to hold the lower straps in place. The following is a picture taken from the internet that shows how the lap straps' end look ... which are bolted to the side of the OEM seat brackets. The reason why people use this is because the center console area is rather tight between the side of the seat and the rear center console.

GT3_1054.jpg

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Zinger, whenever I've had harnesses in a car I use on the street, I got into the habit of strapping in (8/10th of track tightness) with everything except the anti-sub strap. It only takes a few seconds more than using the 3 pt. belt, and prevents having to take the harnesses in and out or having pieces with heavy metal buckles flapping about the car (dangerous in the event of an accident, in my view).

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Zinger, whenever I've had harnesses in a car I use on the street, I got into the habit of strapping in (8/10th of track tightness) with everything except the anti-sub strap. It only takes a few seconds more than using the 3 pt. belt, and prevents having to take the harnesses in and out or having pieces with heavy metal buckles flapping about the car (dangerous in the event of an accident, in my view).
Interesting ... never thought of that. Don't think I could do the shoulder straps though. The local police might pull me over for that ... haha

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi All,

How do you tuck away the 6 point harness when you drive the car on the streets? Do you just let the "buckle" sit on top of the cushion? It seems rather painful to remove the lower belts without taking the seats out ... but then the quick release buckle just sort gets in the way between the legs ...

View attachment 55597
I am using the 996 GT3 seats in my 987S. At the end of the track event, I slide the lap belts through the slots in the seat and let them lay on the floor. I push the shoulder straps through the slots in the top of the seat and let them hang in the back. I pull up the seat cushion and push the anti-sub straps through the hole in the bottom of the seat. Your seats are different so I don't know if that will work for you.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am using the 996 GT3 seats in my 987S. At the end of the track event, I slide the lap belts through the slots in the seat and let them lay on the floor. I push the shoulder straps through the slots in the top of the seat and let them hang in the back. I pull up the seat cushion and push the anti-sub straps through the hole in the bottom of the seat. Your seats are different so I don't know if that will work for you.
Ya, the problem is the sub strap's receptacle can't go under the cushion, as the GT2 seats' cushions aren't split like the 996 ones. It's really the round receptacle / quick release buckle that's kinda in the way. Maybe i'll try lengthening that so the receptacle hangs closer to the edge. Or buckle up the bottom part like how gcurnew does for the other straps.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Should be straightforward - I used GT2 seats and harnesses for street and track for 4 years.

• Sub strap and main buckle can be fished through the seat cushions (between the two bottom cushions) and laid under the seat, so the cam buckle is to the front. All of the cushions on my GT2 seats were held in place by velcro, so it is no problem.
  • Outboard lap belt likewise can be fished through the seat opening and laid on the floor next to the door sill.
  • Inboard lap belt is more difficult, since it is a tight squeeze against the center console. I extended the belt all the way and looped it over the seat bolster and onto the floor behind the seat.
  • Shoulder harnesses again should be fished back through the seat openings, but need to be secured unless you want the buckles banging against your CF seat backs. I either tucked them behind my roll bar diagonal brace, or zip tied them out of the way.
:cheers:
Walter

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Should be straightforward - I used GT2 seats and harnesses for street and track for 4 years.

• Sub strap and main buckle can be fished through the seat cushions (between the two bottom cushions) and laid under the seat, so the cam buckle is to the front. All of the cushions on my GT2 seats were held in place by velcro, so it is no problem.
  • Outboard lap belt likewise can be fished through the seat opening and laid on the floor next to the door sill.
  • Inboard lap belt is more difficult, since it is a tight squeeze against the center console. I extended the belt all the way and looped it over the seat bolster and onto the floor behind the seat.
  • Shoulder harnesses again should be fished back through the seat openings, but need to be secured unless you want the buckles banging against your CF seat backs. I either tucked them behind my roll bar diagonal brace, or zip tied them out of the way.
:cheers:
Walter
Walter,

Actually yes. I realized the buckle isn't as hard as I thought it would be to fish down the hole in the bottom seat cushion. Just gotta lengthen the strap underneath so the buckle hangs out at the end of the seat with the cushion in place.

The inboard lap belt is the toughest one afterwards. Let me try it again. The rear console is painted in my car, so I don't wanna get too rough with it (and I always pull my seats all the way to the back when getting in an out, so don't want the harness to get caught while I push the seat back and forth 4 times a day).

The shoulder harness I'm finding a good (nice looking way) to tie them up to the harness bar ... something that won't look too messy

Thanks for the info!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts