Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've been on the fence with if I'd want to keep my CS or sell it and upgrade to a 981 at some point or something else all together. I've had the car for 3.5 years now, and I'm having a hard time trying to determine what it'd be worth if I do decide to sell it. I know what KBB says, but I never see that as accurate on low production cars.

Here's are the details of my car:

2007 CS 6 speed manual
-Cobalt blue metallic (this is the part making it difficult - very hard to find Cobalt Cayman S' w/ 6mt)
-approx 72,000 miles
-PCM 2.1
-19" Lobster claws w/ new tires (about 1-2000 miles on the tires)
-Red gauges
-Red belts
-Sport steering wheel
-Borla Exhaust (have stock exhast as well)
-All maintenance is up to date
[edit] - to add - the waterpump, t-stat, and serp belt were also just changed

Overall, the car is in excellent shape. It has a few stone chips, as I do drive the car (not in salt/winter), but i'd rate it at a 9.5/10. other than the exhaust, smoked bumper markers, & a K&N, it's stock.

Here are some pics of the car:

Thanks!

Pete

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
trade in 21, retail 25. Options, color, mods mean nothing. PCM adds a little

just a guess based on BB.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
for giggles, take it to carmax and see what they will give you.

i know someone in the northeast looking - she might be interested.

GLWS

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S PDK
39 Posts
I've been trying to keep up on prices. Yes trade in would be more like $19k. But high retail around $27k.
I think people would see value in options. I would have paid a premium for the options I wanted.
Newer tires/water pump etc... Makes me think $27 is the lowest I'd take.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
for giggles, take it to carmax and see what they will give you.

i know someone in the northeast looking - she might be interested.

GLWS
Actually taking it to CarMax is an excellent idea since they will know exactly what your car is worth in your area. The price they offer will establish the wholesale value for your car. You can they try to sell it privately for 1.15 X the CarMax offer. Any suggested prices offered on the internet are meaningless, unless of course they offer to buy your car for that price. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I used to use KBB but now it's meh. Now I use New Car Prices & Used Car Values - NADAguides and assign weights based on how the weather is on a particular day.

Something like [(KBB Value * 3) + (Nada value * 5)] / 8

or

0.5 * (KBB Value + Nada value)

So in case of KBB saying your car is worth 25,000 and NADA saying you'll get 30,000 you'll get values of $28,125 or $27,500 depending on whether
it's overcast or raining where you live.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I almost bought the exact same car 10 months ago when I was shopping. The car I looked at was a one owner Cayman S, colbalt blue with grey interior, sport steering wheel, sport exhaust tip, painted center console, xenon, flawless paint, full Porsche service history being sold at a Porsche/Audi dealer non-CPO. The vehicle had 74,000 miles and was priced at $23,500. Overall excellent condition, best 2007 of all that I looked at.
In the end, decided against color, even though I really liked it. Found a killer deal on my 2006 that I couldn't pass up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. I might try the CarMax thing once the roads clear up again and I feel like taking the car out. Right now it's hibernating because of the salt on the roads. Around the $27k area was what I was thinking it'd be worth, and I know dealer trade in would be a decent bit lower.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I sold my 2006 CS last spring when I got a 997 4S, almost the same Car only in balsalt black, 69,000 miles. I started it at 28k and almost no calls got a lot of tire kickers at 26,500 and after 4 months sold it for 23,500. Looking at list prices on sites we all want way more for our cars than most will pay. Remember used Porsche 60k+ miles is scare to those who can now afford, many buy from a "stealer" vs a PCA member 2 owner full history car because of 1) they think dealers are better for assessing car condition (which is bs) and 2) many don't know how to get a car loan not through a dealer. So they would have paid 25-26 for my car at a dealer... Just my POV having bought and sold many sports cars over the years. I had the car for 3.5 years added 30,000 miles and only lost 3500 total vs purchase price... I'll do $1000 a year for my Porsches!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have a 2007 base Cayman, guards red, MT with 58,000 miles on it. The car is immaculate and has a lot of desirable features/upgrades. Within the last four months the local Porsche dealer offered me $18k, Carmax $16k. I'm keeping it

·
Registered
296 Posts
I can tell you for certain the KBB trade in and retail prices should be very accurate. KBB is owned by Autotrader.com, and they tie into the dealership computer systems to track the buying and selling data. The miles are going to be your biggest hurdle.

For sure wait until Spring. April and May are your best bet.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I would look at multiple appraisal sites, as they often disagree wildly and the truth is likely somewhere in the middle. For instance, I have a 2004 Boxster S I'm trying to sell. Last summer, KBB & Edmunds both appraised this car about $16k. Edmunds is showing it's depreciated to $15,600 the last 6 months, but KBB is low-balling it at $12k!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Interesting topic.

One that I found out about first hand this past Fall. I had a 2006 CS that was a 100k MSRP, I paid 42k for it in 2008. The economy had crashed and I got a inside deal from a friend who is a GM at a Range Rover dealership. It had 8k miles on it. I bought a 6 year warranty. My story of modding it is well documented on this board over the years, probably another 20k was spent over the years making it interesting to me and I got to 24k miles.

I realized looking at the 987.2, then the 981 and the perceived IMS issue ( although I did the IMS direct oil feed) the value was dropping regardless of mods etc. I then spotted a Spyder I wanted in Texas and proceeded to make a deal. First I asked what my CS was worth to them in trade, not too bad considering 29.5 was their offer. I was stubborn because I thought my car was worth so much more ( funny how we get attached to the car and dollars spent no matter how many times we fail) but I also didn't want to have to deal with selling it and being insulted with stupid offers. the dealer made it easy on me, he lowered the price of the Spyder ( which is the same as giving me more for the CS) and told me as long as I had the stock parts he would let me keep all of my mods as he wanted NONE of them. So he gave me 32.8 and paid the shipping of the car to him and gave me 1/2 off my shipping of my Spyder. so I was now at 33.4 for my CS.

I took everything off. This site did ok as did many of you who bought my old parts and that added another 3k to my total to now 36.4. I then pulled the stereo, speakers, amps, radar, brakes, GT3 MBC and every thing I could including some CF parts off the CS and in most cases replaced them with parts off the Spyder when possible as they let me keep the cars together for a week.

So at the end of the day I tabulated I got 38.7k for my CS.

So this is where it gets funny, the dealer listed my car on Ebay, I wrote a lot of the copy for him as a favor and they wanted 41,999. He told me the highest offer they got was 24k, at least 10 offered below 20k. They opted to sell it a week later to another dealer in Florida. My poor car....

That dealer had it for 4 months and finally sold it last week, they too were asking 41,999 and I pinged them and they said they had a lot of low ball offers but they obviously stuck to their guns ( I guess) I have no idea what they fetched, but I assume it was as close to their asking price as possible as they held it for 4.5 months.

While I know mod money is lost money they did like all the factory options and exclusives and the white over terra-cotta was a plus for them but even they don't understand the CS market. I am very glad I sold it the way I did and delighted to the apparent " victory" I got in the accumulated price.

That's my CS selling story. Oh as a side note, after clipping the warranty company for a engine out repair that cost them 9k and then a add-on of 3k I got 900 back of the original 3k price for the pro-rated refund.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Don't completely quote me on this cuz my memory is shot but here are some price points for you:

1 - I sold my 2006CS in April/May of 2014 for around $27k. About 55k miles.
2 - My coworker sold his 2006CS (his was yellow, mine was black), with a little bit fewer miles I think, a little fewer options for a couple of grand more. Around $29k
3 - Carmax offered me about $5k less than what I got (this is the part that I'm a little fuzzy on).

We both sold private party. Have no idea what dealer would have offered.

We were both about 20k less mile than you but your car is 1 year newer so the date of the sale and the 2007 cancel out ... so your car has 20k more miles. In my opinion that makes it worth about $3k - $4k less. So, private party 24-25k if you take our average. I actually like cobalt blue.

Good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would look at any Carmax stores nearby to see what a comparable Cayman S might be selling for. Carmax doesn't negotiate on price, so they price them to sell. I would probably price the car at $27k and take nothing lower than $25k.

Also, I would pull the borla off and sell it on here. You'll get more money for mods sold individually than you will selling them on the car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts