Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 1985 I LONGED for a 911. Had been in LOVE with that car since the 78/79 model changes. But I had just purchased my first house and was at the beginning and hence lowest pay of my career. That 1985 911 had Power windows and mirrors, a 5 speed transmission, put out 200 horsepower and did a 0-60 in 5.3 seconds. It had air conditioning and a four speaker stereo. And IMO it was the greatest car on the road.

Now, 30 years later and I can afford buy it......

But I won't even consider a Base Cayman because it ONLY puts out 270 HP. Any car I look at HAS to have PDK, PASM, SC, Power everything, parking sensors, BOSE Stereo, Navigation, MUST have 20" rims yadda yadda yadda.

Kind of feel like I lost my way. Lost my focus. Forgot what I really loved about Porsche.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
There is no shame with lust for thrust and engineering excellence. That said, I could easily spec a 911 I'd be very happy with that sported no stereo and merely enjoy the flat 6's song for the lifetime of the car.

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Yep, people become jaded, or are lead to believe that if they don't have the latest and greatest car, phone, tv, etc. that they aren't worthy in the eyes of their fellow human beings.

I'd say forget all that and just buy what you want. You still want that 1985 911? Go buy it! It may or may not turn out to be your dream car, if it is, then keep it, if it isn't, sell it and get something else.

There's nothing wrong with a base Cayman with a manual tranny and few if any options, it is still a terrific car and a blast to drive.

Life is too short to worry about what the person next to you thinks about your preferences...

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
One of the things I appreciate about Porsche is that an owner can build a car that suits them. A 350hp base 991 is much quicker and handles better than any '70s/'80s vintage 911 (Turbo included). It can still be ordered with a manual gearbox, no additional power gizmos, comes standard with 19" wheels and a pretty basic CDR audio system. At a shade over $84k U.S. MSRP, it's not cheap...but my guess is that a "stripper" NA flat-6, 7-speed 911 will command a price premium 15 years down the road over more commonplace, heavily optioned 911s.

Reactions: Alpha.GT4

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Sometimes you just want the simple things in life. Not me, I dream of owning a Ferrari F355, now I can afford one. I don't care for the outdated exterior or interior. A few years ago when the air cooled prices hasn't got insane. I thought about it too but when I got into the cabin, it felt old, cassette players, aftermarket stereos, same looking shifter on my old Toyota pickup truck so I never did. I guess I like modern technology and the luxury of modem cars. I would never get a car w/o heated seats. That makes my drive more enjoyable in the winter. My cousin just brought a 993 C2 for $60K, for that kind of money, I would get a 981 Cayman or a 997.2 GTS. Different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I don't think you have become jaded. 30 years is a long long time in the world of electronics and technology.
Let's just say you refined your needs over the years.

Whether Porsche offers what you currently desire or not is another discussion.

Reactions: masti99

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
One of the things I appreciate about Porsche is that an owner can build a car that suits them. A 350hp base 991 is much quicker and handles better than any '70s/'80s vintage 911 (Turbo included). It can still be ordered with a manual gearbox, no additional power gizmos, comes standard with 19" wheels and a pretty basic CDR audio system. At a shade over $84k U.S. MSRP, it's not cheap...but my guess is that a "stripper" NA flat-6, 7-speed 911 will command a price premium 15 years down the road over more commonplace, heavily optioned 911s.
But the new ones are bigger, heavier, less direct AFAIK, better in some but not all respects...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thirty years ago that car was the latest and greatest Porsche was offering; that is no longer the case. If you enjoy the driving dynamics of an older car, and that model still has a pull on you, then find some for sale and take them for drives. If you love it, then buy it. As others have said, you can always sell it, as modern cars with all the features you described will continue to be available and maybe with some features/options that you haven't even thought of because they haven't been invented yet! It's your money, so it should be your joy.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Back in 1985 I LONGED for a 911. Had been in LOVE with that car since the 78/79 model changes. But I had just purchased my first house and was at the beginning and hence lowest pay of my career. That 1985 911 had Power windows and mirrors, a 5 speed transmission, put out 200 horsepower and did a 0-60 in 5.3 seconds. It had air conditioning and a four speaker stereo. And IMO it was the greatest car on the road.

Now, 30 years later and I can afford buy it......

But I won't even consider a Base Cayman because it ONLY puts out 270 HP. Any car I look at HAS to have PDK, PASM, SC, Power everything, parking sensors, BOSE Stereo, Navigation, MUST have 20" rims yadda yadda yadda.

Kind of feel like I lost my way. Lost my focus. Forgot what I really loved about Porsche.
you must be a rich old dude, that's why. Sorry to say. Typical first world problem.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
you must be a rich old dude, that's why. Sorry to say. Typical first world problem.
I get whatchu mean but some first world problems are still problems. I don't think OP was complaining. I read it as more of a wistful comment about his love for Porsche cars.
I echo what K-man S said. One of my dream models is the 1987 911 (air cooled + G50). I've waited to buy a Porsche for almost 10 years now (didn't even think of buying
one until 10 years ago but I've been in love with 911s for about 20 years now ever since I was barely a teenager).

Say 20 years from now, I finally have a few million in the bank and more in my retirement portfolio that I walk into a Porsche dealership and see what they have for sale. I
walk in there expecting to buy a 2.7 981 and seeing the offering in 2035, I head over to Planet-9 (or whatever equivalent) and then start writing a "I'm so jaded" post..

So yea, this commercial again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sWPHKU1XZU

·
Registered
479 Posts
blu cay 1.jpg If you have the funds and you want the high end Porsche with many goodies, go for it!

As I'm older, I realized that I did not need the fastest car on the block anymore. The Base Cayman is perfect for me and my "old" style of driving.
No, I don't drive like a nun, but I don't drive like a teenager either!
I also know that the roads are swallowed up by bumper to bumper traffic, trucks, SUV's, bicyclists....whatever.
In my area where I live, there's no way that I can reach the potential of the Base Cayman, let alone a 911.
Unless I go to the track, but my trips there are very limited...maybe once a year.:(

But I understand the OP's thoughts. Recently, I bought a 2015 Mustang for mostly daily driving, saving the Cayman for weekends.
First, I drove the GT 5.0 V8 with MT. AMAZING! I knew that I would get a speeding ticket the moment I leave the dealer's driveway!
Why do need this? I wound up with a Ecoboost Mustang with AT. (This is a FOUR CYLINDER w/turbo). Just enough for my driving.

Get a car that will fit YOUR tastes, driving style and expectations. Yes, life IS short.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Life's too short. Drive whatever that makes you happy without having to put yourself into a funny financial situation.

Not telling you to go buy an old car now, but I personally have a lot of respect for those who drive really old cars and keep them in tip top conditions -- especially for those who have owned the cars since new. Cars like the older Porsches really have their distinct character, and it's nice to see people still driving those around while keeping the cars in very good shape.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wasnt complaining at all just more of a self reflextion. So what did I do?

I went out and bought one of the least desirable models made.... 2001 Carerra 4 with the dreaded IMS and minimal options.

Only 32000 miles and at a price low enough to add the IMS Solution and still not take a bath on resale in a couple of years when I buy my "ultimate" porsche.

That sounded like a good plan at the time but now after just a couple of days of ownership..... I might never sell this car.

It just plan fits and feels right.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Its hard not to get a bit of the "am I jaded" (or just "out of date") when your dream car from many years ago has also got out of date in performance!

It is funny looking back on the "want" cars from many years ago.
They do seem a lot less desirable when far more basic cars now have the same performance and way better features.
Hard to judge many of the old timers by things like 0-60, as eco hatches can get close to or better many cool sports cars of the 70s.
The other big thing is safety, not just electronic nannies (yes I do like ABS!), but crash protection. Sure its increased weights, but its a lot damn safer in almost anything built in the last few years compared to the best of the 80s.

I lusted after a Testarossa - but Im about to buy a Boxster that will have similar power, better acceleration and certainly safer.
But as much as I lusted after the Boxster, its is not a Testarossa!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Older cars have more unique characters between different brands. Newer cars feel more homogeneous. Hope this won't start another war here, but that's genuinely how I feel.

The question is then at what point does your love of older cars end. For me, it ends in the mid 90s. I can only relate myself up to that point ...

·
Registered
583 Posts
When it comes to optioning these cars new the cycle is terrible.

It took a few weeks for me to come full circle and settle on a build I was happy with.

I started with specing out a nice base car with minimal options (a bargain in the world of sports cars). After spending a few dozen hours online dreaming this turning into a 75K base cayman. Then after some soul searching I realized I could build a really nice S for less than that.

The older cars have character that has been stripped from the newer models. Even my 944 has this nice grumbly exotic personality that the cayman is lacking.

·
Registered
492 Posts
You have to determine what you want. Times change. Cars are heavier and more complicated these days. That said, there are plenty of people who enjoy their vintage 911's. Carefully reassess your priorities and go with whatever it is that best suits you.

·
Registered
222 Posts
There's something to be said with simple, straight-forward fun. If you've ever had the chance to drive a Miata on a road course, you'll know what I mean.

On a side note, I'm glad I don't share your same perspective when it comes to women.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts