Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know a lot about sports cars, I've had my 2013 Boxster for a year and that's it. Previously I would just swap brake pads myself but when I got my pre-winter oil change last year, the dealership told me I really needed brakes and tires. Does this diagnosis and price seem about right? $3414? That's CAD pricing so it's probably $2700 or so USD.

What's with all these bolts that are $200 each? The dealership also told me they don't just do the pads, the whole brake disk needs to be replaced every time you do the brakes, it's part of the maintenance. Is this all correct?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
212 Posts
sounds normal this price for disks/pads on the front axel (at Porsche dealerships) . “Normally” you can replace the pads twice before replacing the disks. But when replacing the disks the replacement of pads is inevitable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
im in the uk and also in the motor trade, I just purchased front brake pads for my porsche £95inc (bremo)
obviously I fitted them myself and if you have done pads before you'll be fine as long as you got the tools etc
I have 20"tyres and there £165 ish for Bridgestone and about £230 for Michelin sport 4
fitting around £20 per tyre most places

even in different currency that seems crazy money

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
How mechanically inclined are you? I ask because this is not a hard job with a few tools and the right torque specs. Could save you a boatload and give you the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

And the bolts are caliper bolts. $50 each or $200 a pair. Sounds about right. The $186 is anti rattle clips and that DOES sound high. But that is for 2. $186/2=$93ea.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Don't you replace rotors based on factual thickness? And I understand that the final $2k are for the set of tires.

If you replaced the pads before, like I do, I would be tempted to do the job myself and maybe even upgrade rotors to something better,

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
This is why I hate most dealers, I just purchased new bolts from FCP Euro in the US for $4.12, I think they are the Porsche brand, I would change the pads only, if you do not track your car get the Textar, they are the same brand as Porsche OEM, the only reason I just bought the bolts it that I have done about 4 brake jobs since I track, I am geting read to replace rotors and pads, I bought just in case I might need them. The sad thing is people pay these prices, find a good local guy, or if you decide to do yourself there is a really good video on Pelican Parts web site.

·
Registered
417 Posts
What the thread says to me? I want to put a sign in front of my garage, Brembo brake service, one hundred a wheel labor for loving care applied to your car. BYO parts. Brake flush? Three hundred labor. Since I'm staring at spine surgery, I wouldn't even be able to do it for you guys nearby but I could direct and assist!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How mechanically inclined are you? I ask because this is not a hard job with a few tools and the right torque specs. Could save you a boatload and give you the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

And the bolts are caliper bolts. $50 each or $200 a pair. Sounds about right. The $186 is anti rattle clips and that DOES sound high. But that is for 2. $186/2=$93ea.

I've changed brake pads and rotors on my Honda Civic. Removing a seized bolt from one of the knuckles is one of the least fun things I've ever done in my life.

Is the Boxster pretty much the same as a Civic for the general process? Watch YouTube, remove parts, replace, reassemble?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have found that brake work on my Boxster is the easiest brake work I have ever been involved with. The caveat is that I track the car and change pads often, so nothing is ever too dirty and nothing is ever seized up.
Not rocket surgery.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Taken apart many across many makes, IMO the Brembo brakes are like working on artwork, very elegant in design, a real pleasure to work on. The pin removal to in part release the assembly is really nice. I made some custom hangers with bungee cord to unweight the calipers so they don't hang on the lines. The ONLY caution I would make is the brake sensors, the heat cycles make them brittle and as such breaking one is a piece of cake if you're not careful upon disassembly, other than that? You need to compress multiple pistons . If you don't have the tool use the scrap pad and an appropriate compression aid. Far easier than the clunky Ford units but frankly they are easy too. PS If for whatever reason the pin is a little stuck? Make a short drift out of a wooden BBQ skewer, no scratching and disposable.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I checked and it seems that you're paying $1580 usd for a set of tires there. That's more than $300 for labor.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Taken apart many across many makes, IMO the Brembo brakes are like working on artwork, very elegant in design, a real pleasure to work on. The pin removal to in part release the assembly is really nice. I made some custom hangers with bungee cord to unweight the calipers so they don't hang on the lines. The ONLY caution I would make is the brake sensors, the heat cycles make them brittle and as such breaking one is a piece of cake if you're not careful upon disassembly, other than that? You need to compress multiple pistons . If you don't have the tool use the scrap pad and an appropriate compression aid. Far easier than the clunky Ford units but frankly they are easy too. PS If for whatever reason the pin is a little stuck? Make a short drift out of a wooden BBQ skewer, no scratching and disposable.
Which tool do I need? Do you have a description or photo? I can probably rent one.

I checked and it seems that you're paying $1580 usd for a set of tires there. That's more than $300 for labor.
I see that now, why would they quote me for rear tires when they were just replaced a year and a half ago? Do they all need to be replaced at the same time?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Which tool do I need? Do you have a description or photo? I can probably rent one.

I see that now, why would they quote me for rear tires when they were just replaced a year and a half ago? Do they all need to be replaced at the same time?
The rear tires on P cars typically wear at about double the rate of the fronts. There is no need to change them assuming you are replacing the fronts with the same brand/type of tire and they are still within tread spec, however Porsche dealers are very finicky and have strict rules about things like this and may refuse to do anything other than replace all four.

They will typically also refuse to repair a brand new tire that can easily and safely be patched from the inside even if possible to do so and insist you buy a new one. They treat every car as if it will be on a racetrack whether it actually will or not

·
Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
695 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
As a fellow Canadian, I would advice purchasing all parts in the US, and doing the work either by yourself or at an independent shop. If you are in Toronto, message me for recommendations.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay so it sounds like I'm going to do this myself except mount the tires. Should I just get the exact part numbers or is there a different, upgraded part that's much better value?
Also, I'd really like to change the colour of the grey calipers while I'm in there, would it be better to buy new ones or paint the existing ones? Will the paint easily come off? Is there a cheap place to buy coloured ones of the same quality? Can you suggest websites I should order from? Thanks, I really appreciate this.

As a fellow Canadian, I would advice purchasing all parts in the US, and doing the work either by yourself or at an independent shop. If you are in Toronto, message me for recommendations.
Calgary

·
Registered
981 Porsche Cayman Base, PDK
8 Posts
I don't know a lot about sports cars, I've had my 2013 Boxster for a year and that's it. Previously I would just swap brake pads myself but when I got my pre-winter oil change last year, the dealership told me I really needed brakes and tires. Does this diagnosis and price seem about right? $3414? That's CAD pricing so it's probably $2700 or so USD.

What's with all these bolts that are $200 each? The dealership also told me they don't just do the pads, the whole brake disk needs to be replaced every time you do the brakes, it's part of the maintenance. Is this all correct?

Thanks a lot.

View attachment 273022

View attachment 273023
No you can resurface rotors as long as they have 33.5 mm in thickness left. If you resurface rotors you need new pads so they wear evenly. Also changing the pads/brake are so easy you can do it your self, especially the rotors. After you take off the caliper its just like taking off a wheel, there's 1 retaining screw and the rotor comes right out. This is a US link to Porsche parts and here's one for OEM supplier Zimmerman rotors front and rear, THESE ARE FOR THE BASE (or black calipers) the S has red calipers and have larger rotors. They use Brembo for brakes as well.

·
Registered
981 Porsche Cayman Base, PDK
8 Posts
No you can resurface rotors as long as they have 33.5 mm in thickness left. If you resurface rotors you need new pads so they wear evenly. Also changing the pads/brake are so easy you can do it your self, especially the rotors. After you take off the caliper its just like taking off a wheel, there's 1 retaining screw and the rotor comes right out. This is a US link to Porsche parts and here's one for OEM supplier Zimmerman rotors front and rear, THESE ARE FOR THE BASE (or black calipers) the S has red calipers and have larger rotors. They use Brembo for brakes as well.
Brake rotors are about $175-$250 USD each $150 USD for rear pads $190 USD for front pads (sold as sets) PZ4 like $850 USD for tires only, but Id get PS4S (about $350-$400 USD per tire) my shop will labor alignment and fees for ~$2000 USD or $1500 for those PZ4 but id really recommend the step up to PS4S

·
Registered
417 Posts
Regarding resurfacing, just my opinion here but I vote "NO". Every bit of material you remove from the rotor changes it's ability to shed heat. Sometimes my company car would have that procedure as dictated by PHH and the reconditioned rotors would warp before the new pads were anywhere near exhausted. Resurfacing is a quick path to pedal pulsing upon hard braking, spend the coin and do it right or you'll be doing it over.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I've changed brake pads and rotors on my Honda Civic. Removing a seized bolt from one of the knuckles is one of the least fun things I've ever done in my life.

Is the Boxster pretty much the same as a Civic for the general process? Watch YouTube, remove parts, replace, reassemble?
I used to be a technician for a living (25years ago) and have worked on many brands and I would say Porsche has to be one of the easiest I’ve ever worked on. Brakes are probably the easiest I’ve ever done.

Reactions: Boristhespyder
1 - 20 of 45 Posts