Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did all four brakes last weekend. Started at 10am and finished at 4pm. Fairly straightforward if you know what you're doing. That said, I didn't paint the calipers. Total parts cost was less than 800.00, which is 2200 less than the job at the nearest dealer, plus I have the satisfaction of knowing I'm helping her purrrrr by being inside her. But I did use two types of cleaner to get the calipers really nice and bright red again. No more squeeky brakes! I say go for it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I did all four brakes last weekend. Started at 10am and finished at 4pm. Fairly straightforward if you know what you're doing. That said, I didn't paint the calipers. Total parts cost was less than 800.00, which is 2200 less than the job at the nearest dealer, plus I have the satisfaction of knowing I'm helping her purrrrr by being inside her. But I did use two types of cleaner to get the calipers really nice and bright red again. No more squeeky brakes! I say go for it.
Congrats!! :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Okay, I looked into ordering the brakes and I found multiple vendors with those part numbers. Are they the same? I went to Rock Auto's website, entered 98135140101 and it returned 2 parts. One from PAGID for $108 and one from VNE for $167. Are these exactly the same? Why would different vendors have the same part number?

·
Registered
171 Posts
They are most likely showing you parts that fit the Porsche part number you entered.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I got brakes by independent mechanic and pads and rotors after everything was 1,000 USD for the rear brakes, he told me front are good and dealer wanted to replace all 4 rotors and pads, DO NOT TAKE IT TO THE STEALER. Do it yourself or go to an Indi mechanic same parts half the cost, don't get ripped off.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Is anyone able to tell me if these are good buys? I split the parts between the cheaper of Auto Haus AZ and Pelican Parts.

And I was thinking of skipping the brake pad wear indicator since my brake pad warning light is not on. I'm assuming my indicators are still good. Is that a fair assumption?

·
Registered
693 Posts
And I was thinking of skipping the brake pad wear indicator since my brake pad warning light is not on. I'm assuming my indicators are still good. Is that a fair assumption?
The sensors are good, but the act of removing them often damages one. At least for me. Since all 4 sensors are on 1 circuit, there is nothing to tell you which. Buy inexpensive ones, and replace them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
Depending on the type of pads you may need to bypass the sensors. Basically not all pads have the brake wear sensor port to plug-in. So you need to short the two wires for the brake sensor and tuck it away nicely.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Depending on the type of pads you may need to bypass the sensors. Basically not all pads have the brake wear sensor port to plug-in. So you need to short the two wires for the brake sensor and tuck it away nicely.
I linked to the Textar pads above since someone said Porsche uses those and rebrands them. They're the same part number.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I ordered from Pelican Parts last night and they arrived this morning. Man, the box STINKS! It smells like it was packed full of California ocean air, all I can smell is fish. I had the box in my lap going through parts and my cat was trying to climb over my arm to get into the box. My girlfriend complained about the smell so much I had to put it out in the garage until I'm ready to install it.

I didn't order everything, I took a mix of your advice and the advice of a guy a few doors up from me that used to be a Porsche mechanic in Germany. When he looked at my car he could see the front brakes were about 80% gone and surprisingly said the rear brakes are also 90% gone which is a surprise to me since the Porsche dealership marked the rear brakes as green (see first post). So I ordered front Textar pads, rear Textar pads and 4 brake wear indicator wires for $7.50 each.

I didn't get the rotors at the advice of some people here and also my neighbour said I can easily get another set of pads out of the rotors. I also didn't order any of the hardware like bolts and clips because mine have zero rust from being stored all winter. I should be able to reuse them apparently.

I also got a 10% discount at Pelican Parts by entering my PCA membership number as a promotional code!

For the cost of a case of beer he's going to help me install everything this weekend. Total cost was $305 USD for parts and shipping + $28 CAD duties and brokerage + $50 CAD for beer.

I did call Porsche to confirm exactly what the brakes cost would be and they said the prices went up in January. The new price for just the fronts would be $1285 for parts and $336 for labour.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Expensive beer! But every time you do your brakes you know you are saving $300!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Weather is almost warm enough. Do I need a torque wrench for this or is that more of a suggestion?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Here's how it went today. Feel free to post advice.

I swapped the rear brakes pretty easily. Then I started on the front and one side took me about 2 hours. I spent an hour mangling the ABS sensor plug so that's totally destroyed because I couldn't figure out how to remove it. It seems to push back in fine afterwards and there aren't any lights on the dash so I assume it's still working fine. It took me so long to do the one front that I wasn't able to get to the other front so I only got a total of 3 completed today.

Then when I inspected the sensor wire that I pulled off the old brake pad, I saw that it had the metal clip on the end where it plugs into the pad. I removed all of these metal clips from all 3 pad sets so far, so I had to totally remove the front wheel and caliper again to pull the brake pad out and put this little metal clip on the end, then put it all back together again. I was going to do the rears as well but I threw the clips in the trash right before I swept up the garage so it's impossible to find them. I pulled the clips off the old sensors, hopefully I can reuse them on the new sensor wires. Then after I fix the rears tomorrow, I'll try the other front side and then I'll be done.

I took it for a 2.5 kilometre drive after everything tonight and there weren't any lights on the dash, there also weren't any lights on before I started.

Do I really need those clips? Should I be fine with the ABS clip? Anything else you'd like to comment on?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Re: torque wrench it’s best if you use it. For the 987.1 the spec says 63lb/ft of torque so it’s substantial.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I did call Porsche to confirm exactly what the brakes cost would be and they said the prices went up in January. The new price for just the fronts would be $1285 for parts and $336 for labour.
What happened to the guy who worked on Porsches? You already bought a beer for him, might as well use him ... ;)

About the quote above, Porsche will ALWAYS replace both rotors and pads. So, the quote for parts and labor is for the full brake job, not just the pads. I just got back from oil change and track inspection and got a comment from a tech to not change just the pads. Yeah, right, I need new pads at least every 12 months if I limit myself to 4 weekends on track. And even then it barely gets there by April. So, don't worry about that, if properly installed, just pads will do fine. I usually do 2 pads then new rotors.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
What happened to the guy who worked on Porsches? You already bought a beer for him, might as well use him ... ;)

About the quote above, Porsche will ALWAYS replace both rotors and pads. So, the quote for parts and labor is for the full brake job, not just the pads. I just got back from oil change and track inspection and got a comment from a tech to not change just the pads. Yeah, right, I need new pads at least every 12 months if I limit myself to 4 weekends on track. And even then it barely gets there by April. So, don't worry about that, if properly installed, just pads will do fine. I usually do 2 pads then new rotors.
He got spooked about me suing him in the event of an accident and pulled out. That's understandable, I only know him as an around-the-corner neighbour.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Finished my brakes today. I removed the rears to put the clips on the end of the sensor wires and when I pulled the wires, they fell right off of the pads. So yes, they do need the clips to hold them on, I'm glad I took it all apart to put those on. Well, it's done now and there are no lights on the dash so it seems to be working well. I just have to test the ABS next time I go out.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts