Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HUGE BRAKE and TRANSMISSION PROBLEM NEED HELP ASAP, fluids leaking!

The brake piston on my left rear caliper came completely out and now brake fluid is leaking everywhere. (being caught in a container now). I've tried to put the piston back in the lower right section of the caliper but it's not working. Please help. What should I do? I'm freaking out. :eek:

Piston that came out:

Another shot:

UPDATE:

What's the update Chad?

I hope it's a quick/cheap fix!
-Moto
Hey guys, just got back from the dealer. OK in a nut shell they called me in to discuss several issues with my car :(

They said:

1. I need to replace BOTH rear calipers because the rear left was damaged. They said that you cannot just replace one, you need to replace both because they work in conjuntion with one another. Huhhh????

They said the damage was due to all the dust seals on the rear left caliper were broken. Incorrect. I inspected the caliper myself and only the rubber boot which the piston popped out of is torn.

Does this make any sense!?! Replace both of the calipers?? Sounds like a bunch of hot air to me to get some extra $$$.

I plan on getting the caliper repair kit and simply installing a new rubber dust seal.

Putting the piston back in was actually very easy. I just took the rubber seal out of the caliper, put it on the piston, then re-inserted the two as one piece back in the caliper.

2. The Oil leak!

Turns out the oil was leaking out of my transmission case. One of the 20 some bolts that holds the pan in place was missing (see pic below) and all the other ones he said were "not to the torque spec." As a result this caused ATF fluid to seap out through the seal. I was honestly surprised, how in the hell could one of the bolts have come loose and then fall off? I figured over the car's 4 years and 40k miles it could be plausible. I told the guy, ok at least we found the problem and it will be fixed under warranty...

NO NO NO!!! "Sir, someone tampered with your car, it is ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE for this bolt to undue itself, they are torque spec!" As a result, whatever damage is done to your tranny will NOT be under waranty "somebody must have loosened these bolts, they cannot come loose by themselves"

I was shocked :eek: I wanted to faint. I could see the bill in the mail for $10,000.00 for a new transmission. I will make this clear. NO BODY has touched my transmission EVER. The only shop that I've taken this car to besides Porsche was a Mr.Tire to get a tire change. All other work such as brake pads and rotors were performed by myself. I have changed my motor oil numerous times but have not touched the transmission.

The service rep, tells me, " I don't know what happened to your car, you and I will never know. But somebody loosened these bolts and caused this damage." I thought to myself, hey bud! Do you think just maybe they loosened themselves!!!! Admit that it's possible, because quite frankly everything is, nothing is impossible. It would be like Toyota saying that these broken accelerators are impossible because they made a perfect car and nothing can go wrong with it. He says because he's never seen a problem like this in all his years it can't be possible. He says he wants to help me out (as he chuckles) but I know deep down he's out to screw me out of my warranty and money. This should be covered under warranty, nothing I did caused this error, and I'm really pissed off.

The dealer is calling me back tomorrow to price everything out. How many thousands shall we guess???

Please help guys :helpme: I mean is my argument not valid?

Picture of Tiptronic transmission taken from the articles section to show where the many bolts go in place.. This is not mine.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Stepped on the brake pedal while the caliper was off eh?

That's a tough one. Might be new caliper time.
Maybe the dealer or a brake shop could get it back together.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stepped on the brake pedal while the caliper was off eh?

That's a tough one. Might be new caliper time.
Maybe the dealer or a brake shop could get it back together.
Yes, unfortunately. Was trying to get the pistons to come out a little. Does one think I should call Porsche roadside tomorrow and have them tow the car to the dealer? I already have an appointment with them on Monday for oil leaking out of the engine :(

Things are not good.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Humm, the more I look at the photo, I doubt it is the damper pad. My guess now is that the excess travel of the piston without a pad in place tore the rubber gasket in the caliper.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Are you sure that isn't just the brake damper pad?

Front Brake Pad Damper:Suncoast Automotive Porsche, Audi, & VW

The "pistons" in our brakes are hollow.

Now the leaking fluid is a whole other issue. Where is it seeping out of, the piston surround?
The brake fluid I presume (clear-ish fluid) is coming out of the hole where the caliper piston came out. The more I'm thinking about this the more I'm realizing I'm going to need a new caliper. At least it's the rear (smaller), so it will be cheaper... That is about the only light I can bring out of this situation. Somebody start throwing brake caliper prices at me :wall:

According to Suncoast's brake upgrade kit http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/996BrakeKit.html?Category_Code=caymanSbrakes (assuming you get 4 new brakes) I'm estimating around $300 per caliper, I can digest that price. Just nothing over $500, or I'll faint.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Strange that it would fall out like that, I did that same "not-so-smart" move on my previous car, but the piston did not fall out, just popped and took like 2 hours to get in place.

I do hope you get things going quickly, and what's with the engine oil problem?!

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Normally the pistons when unostructed just come up to the lip, however a little more pressure behind them and they will pop out. I would think that there should be a caliper repair kit and couldn't imagine a new caliper is required....of course I could be wrong, but the cosntruction is relatively simple so can't imagine Porsche don't recommend repairing them.

A seal kit may be all you need, but maybe not even that. It will need some pressure but should go back in IMO.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Getting the piston back in is one issue, but letting all the DOT 4 run dry is another.....ishh. Try to close off the system to prevent it running dry, if it does then the dealership will add even more $$. At this point you are looking at a rebuild of the caliper minimum, and new caliper bolts and cleaning up the dot 4, hope the pads didn't get wet.

I can not suggest that you do anything other than take it to the dealership.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
I don't think you will need to replace the entire caliper. I can't see clearly enough, but the picture could be the piston with the damper still installed and the first picture looks to me like an empty dust cover. Attached is a picture of a representative Brembo piston replacement kit so you can see the components. If you have pushed the piston out past the seal, then major leaking as described will happen.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yes, unfortunately. Was trying to get the pistons to come out a little. Does one think I should call Porsche roadside tomorrow and have them tow the car to the dealer? I already have an appointment with them on Monday for oil leaking out of the engine :(

Things are not good.
If you need to move the pistons out, remove the brake line and connect compressed air. You need to be VERY carefull with the application of the air, (and keep your fingers out of the way - just in case) but you'll be able to see and control with this method as opposed to being blind with the brake pedal method.

Getting the piston back in is a neat trick, just get a new calpier and chalk this event up as a learning experience.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for the responses guys. I am having a mechanic come over later to put the piston back in. I'd say about 1/4 of a cup of brake fluid came out in total.

As for my engine, it's been leaking oil for quite some time I presume. It came to my attention when I did my APE exhaust install. After reading here, I suspect RMS failure. We'll see on Monday/ later this coming week.

Kenkg, there wasn't an attached photo in your post.

Real quick, I know I need DOT-4 brake fluid. There is factory and Pentosin. I doubt Salvo Auto Parts will have the factory fluid. So I will go with Pentosin Racing Brake Fluid. Objections?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I've taken the pistons out of a couple of calipers in the past. I had to put a set back in at the track once due to an overly helpul friend while changing the pads and bleading the brakes. First clean the area with brake cleaner. You do NOT want any dirt in the bore. Rebuild kits are available for most calipers. The trick to getting the piston back in is making sure the piston is normal to the caliper body. As you insert the piston use a slight rotation of the piston as you guide it in. Don't force it in. The piston should be lubed either with fluid or the rebuild kit may have a small lube packet with the new O rings and dust boots.

A note on removing pistons with an air gun: put a small piece of a 2x4 or 1x4 cut to a size to fit the caliper and let the piston hit the soft wood. You don't want to let it hit the other side of the caliper.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Thank you all for the responses guys. I am having a mechanic come over later to put the piston back in. I'd say about 1/4 of a cup of brake fluid came out in total.

As for my engine, it's been leaking oil for quite some time I presume. It came to my attention when I did my APE exhaust install. After reading here, I suspect RMS failure. We'll see on Monday/ later this coming week.

Kenkg, there wasn't an attached photo in your post.

Real quick, I know I need DOT-4 brake fluid. There is factory and Pentosin. I doubt Salvo Auto Parts will have the factory fluid. So I will go with Pentosin Racing Brake Fluid. Objections?
ACH!! Probably operator error. My screen says an attachment is on this one. Good luck, but I'll bet the oil leak is harder to remedy.

·
Registered
621 Posts
You're onthe right track - just replace/re-use this piston via a seal kit. If the tech is qualified and careful, it'll be good as new. This happens sometimes on race cars, if the driver touches the pedal during a pad change sometimes pistons are flying around like hot potatoes. Not what you want to happen during a race. You do Not need a new caliper.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
I'm sorry, but a I have dumb question. I've never see a caliper taken apart so bear with me.

What is actually pushing the pistons out? Is it in direct contact with fluid in the caliper or is there a bladder behind there that pushes on the piston?

If there is nothing behind the piston besides fluid, if it pops out, I assume all the brake fluid in the caliper would leak out and there'll be no more pressure in the entire system.

·
Registered
911 Posts
This happned to me once on a domestic. I was afraid that I tore the seal but that was not the case. I used a "C" clamp to slowly drive the piston back into the cyclinder.

As already mentioned you need to follow-up with at least a bleed if not a complete flush (recommended) as your hygroscopic brake fluid has been ingesting moisture the entire time it has been exposed to air.

Good luck. Probably not a big deal. It wasn't for me, just a PITA.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I'm sorry, but a I have dumb question. I've never see a caliper taken apart so bear with me.

What is actually pushing the pistons out? Is it in direct contact with fluid in the caliper or is there a bladder behind there that pushes on the piston?

If there is nothing behind the piston besides fluid, if it pops out, I assume all the brake fluid in the caliper would leak out and there'll be no more pressure in the entire system.
it's just fluid in the back pushing out the pistons. The brake system is not pressured, and only the lines are pressurized when you put your foot on the brake. So, fluid that seeps (per Golf's pictures) comes out will primarily come from gravity.

BTW OP - hope you have rinsed the caliper with plenty of water... that brake fluid will eat your paint. BTW, brake fluid is a little slippery - almost dish soap like consistency. Have fun rebuilding the caliper. It's not too, too bad. I had rebuilt a pair of Boxster brakes to put on my A4. Good learning experience.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Pete,

Simple hydraulics. Example: Divide the cross section area of the brake line into the cross secton area of the brake piston. Then multiply that number times the line psi. If you have 4 pistons multiply by 4. This is why single pistom floating calipers have larger pistons, no multiplier.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.