Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, here's the big question: I'm on my 2nd Cayman, an '11 987.2 S that's loaded, w/PDK, Sport Chrono, and the best lookin' wheels Porsche ever made, that I've had for going on 2 years now. It's a CPO car and the warranty runs out in May of '16. I love everything about it and every minute of driving it - I live where most of the roads are twisty, and close to the mountains where the cars performance can be enjoyed.

IMG_1714.JPG

Here's the question: Do I make the move to a 981 S? Yes, I've driven one - a '14 two months after they came out, and I loved everything about it - but I never was able to push it due to traffic.

If I'm going to get the max $$$ out of my '11 CS, I'll have to sell it while the CPO is still good, in April next year.

The problem is I couldn't be happier than I am with my 987.2 S. It literally is all I have ever wanted in a car and 10x more. It has the power the 987.1 base did not have - the incredible PDK w/Sport Chrono, the wheels, and my dream color - Meteor Grey. Yes, the Agate Grey is as good and fine with me. Stunning as it changes colors before your eyes depending on the light........

As I never buy new, but low-mileage, CPO cars 2 - 3 years old, what are the chances I'd find the 981 S in Agate Grey with the wheels I want, PDK/Sport Chrono, etc.???? I consider my finding my '11 nothing short of an incredible miracle, and doubt the same miracle could happen twice.

I'd loose the feed-back of the hydraulic steering, but gain looks, room, maybe a bit on performance. The 981 feels like a heavier car - as Porsche planned - but not sure I like that. Of course, the move will cost me $$$$. Is it worth it? Or should I just drive my 987.2 into the ground? Then there is the risk of owning a Porsche without a warranty and the mileage adding up (at 53k now).

So I'm wondering if there are any here who have had both cars (987 S and 981 S) and can give me their opinions, experience and advice?

·
Registered
700 Posts
So you're wanting to trade the car you love for a warranty? Why not take the money you'd pay out in the trade and put it back for what ever repairs may arise in the future?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
For the cost of the trade you are thinking, you could probably do a 3.8 L transplant and put a GT3-look wing on it. Think about that, if you like what you have...
Put all that cost of warranty you seem to need into tax-favored accounts. Be sure to max out your Roths because those can be used as emergency reserves if you need a chunk of cash for an unexpected problem not covered by warranty. On the other hand, if you really want colors or options that you don't presently have, a trade may be best for you.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point, Ok, but no, I'm trying to value all the benefits of the newer Cayman: For the $$$, I'd get a newer car, continued warranty, greater $$ value (that would cost me $$$), more interior room, improved looks, etc.

Your point on keeping the money and keeping it for repairs, etc. is a very good one. One of the pluses/minuses that I need to weigh. One of the many points I need to consider.

I'm not one who needs a new(er) car every few years - I usually keep my personal cars for 5 - 7........AND, with Porsche quality, it's likely I'd have no major expenses in the next 4 or 5 years (I drive about 10k/yr.) Out of warranty, I'd likely upgrade the ECU, de-snorkel, new plenum, etc. for a few more HP......

Your input is appreciated and exactly what I'm looking for........

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PCA1983 - I'd be happy with just the upgrades I mentioned in my reply to oksailor, no need for the 3.8! My good friend/neighbor (1 mile away - we live in the country) has an '09 base with the "whale tail" spoiler in carbon fibre that is great and I'd love to copy - but the company that made it went out of business.....

I'm retired, so no Roth's. But you are right - money saved is kept in investments........Happy with present color & options - not one more I need.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I don't think you would find it hard to get a CPO agate grey 981 with automatic and lots of options. I'm currently looking for the same but with a manual trans, and its not easy. If i were looking for PDK i'd have 3 cars lined up right now.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Fundamentally I feel your pain. For me moving from the 987 platform to the 981 platform....the steering was the biggest deal. That said....everything else has gone the 981 way since moving over to it. One comment you mention is the feel of weight. I agree....until you are at any kind of speed. And then the 981 chassis just feels more planted and solid than anything I've ever driven. Including a '12 911S driven at speed. During some 'fun' civilian road maneuvers, I've had several passengers comment "wow....this thing is so solid/amazing/grounded"...and that's a passenger.

I've driven a 987 Cayman R at speed and it was amazing. That said...I'd take my base 981 Cayman (with PDK) over the 987R any day of the week. It is really is remarkable. (I still miss the 987 steering...for what it's worth).

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fundamentally I feel your pain. For me moving from the 987 platform to the 981 platform....the steering was the biggest deal. That said....everything else has gone the 981 way since moving over to it. One comment you mention is the feel of weight. I agree....until you are at any kind of speed. And then the 981 chassis just feels more planted and solid than anything I've ever driven. Including a '12 911S driven at speed. During some 'fun' civilian road maneuvers, I've had several passengers comment "wow....this thing is so solid/amazing/grounded"...and that's a passenger.

I've driven a 987 Cayman R at speed and it was amazing. That said...I'd take my base 981 Cayman (with PDK) over the 987R any day of the week. It is really is remarkable. (I still miss the 987 steering...for what it's worth).
J - Ah! Someone understands the dilema! All new thought to me about the benefit of the heavier weight feel - at speed. Makes sense. Only it's hard for me to comprehend as the 987 seems so planted at speed now.....until I think 911.......but then, I've never driven a 911 S........your comment from passengers is what I get from everyone who rides with me...

....but my 30 yr. old son's statement is still tops - when he was driving for the first time and I was in the right seat after he took a 30mph S curve at over 60....: "Holy Cow, Dad! You know what this car just said to me?!?!?"............"Is that ALL YOU GOT?!?!?"

Your comparisons to the 987 R and '12 911S are the mind-bending ones to me......and the exact kind of info I'm looking for to make the decision.........but at the same time, are making it harder.......

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Definitely drive a 981 again and drive it thoroughly. I can't make your decision for you..but the two cars are different enough that after an extended drive, you'll know whether or not the added comfort and refinement is what you're after.

·
Registered
476 Posts
A few comments =
1. Money mitigates (almost) everything. If cost was not a factor, you would likely jump to the 981 configured the way you want it. Money always is a factor that you have to consider. You have to determine how much is too much and draw your lines - live with the decisions.
2. Careful chasing the elusive 'best' car. It does not exist, there are periods in time - but nothing that can satisfy forever. The longer you keep your car, the more maintenance costs creep in. The more you flip cars every 4 years, the higher the cost. Many go for high horsepower and flashy only to find that it does not work well based on their driving habits....(I had a lowered, modded 996TT and after awhile I really got tired of negotiating speed bumps, rarely was able to run it hard on streets - turned out to be not worth the cost for me - would never go back to it, but that's just me...now I want lighter, nimble, balanced and new). If I never had the 996TT, I would always be lusting after it - so sometimes you have to experience things before becoming comfortable with your situation.
3. Be happy with what you have vs sad about what you don't have - much is made up in our own minds. Make your mind up - right or wrong - and stick with it.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
...I couldn't be happier than I am with my 987.2 S.
Why sell a car to get something that couldn't make you happier than you currently are? I searched all over the U.S. in 2006 to find an E46 M3 with 6-speed, no sunroof, manual cloth seats and no other options in Silver/Gray (all E46 M3s sold in Canada came with sunroof and heavy leather electric seats). Found a one-owner 04, 14,000 miles in California. Drove it (and tracked it) without incident until 2010, and loved that car as you seem to love your 987. Kick myself now for selling it.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
^^E9x to F3x M3...

Same views on all bimmer forums.
For me - I almost always want the newest model. but that's just me.
G/L OP!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
its easy to have a crush on a 981 :)
From what I can read here many 981 owners are also previous 987 drivers and love the new styling, cabin size and updated comfort even with 20' rims and have made the plunge.

If you can afford it, go for it.

Alternately, you can have different ways of enjoying your 987 more too!
go for a track day, take it for a driving holiday somewhere, detail it, take some pictures, wrap it in a different colour, new rims/tyres, upgrades.
join the local coffee and cars equivalent (we call it tea time session here)
:cheers:

if the urge is still there, the 987 would make a great present to your son!

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
I drove an 08 CS for 3 years as a DD, traded it for a Cayman R which I used as a DD for 1 1/2 years. I now drive a 981 2.7L (aka Base) with PDK, biXenons, 14 way seats, 19" Cayman wheels, Infotainment...............as a DD it is the best of the three for me. My wife agrees and my wife has previously driven my C5, had her own Audi B5 S4, MiniCooper S.........., E46M3.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I thoroughly enjoyed my 986 BS, but always lusted over the 987 Spyder. Found a very low mileage (6800km) Silver one with PDK and was about to buy this dream car. I then test drove it back to back with the BGTS. It was an absolute no brainer for me. The Spyder was a beautiful classic but the BGTS was the best car I had ever driven... Bar none! That's what now sits in my garage :)

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
what are the chances I'd find the 981 S in Agate Grey with the wheels I want, PDK/Sport Chrono, etc.???? I consider my finding my '11 nothing short of an incredible miracle, and doubt the same miracle could happen twice.
There's a ton of Agate Grey cars out there, so I don't think that will be an issue. You might have to be willing to compromise on a few options, but such is the world of CPO. I was extremely luckily in that my car had all but one option that I wanted, and had some extras that I wasn't even interested in.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to all for the great points and thoughts - one thing I realize that I failed to mention is I don't like driving older technology cars when significant new tech comes out. Money is a factor, but not much. At 70, what should I be saving it for? I can afford it. While I am indeed content now, I can only see from where I sit that I would enjoy the 981 even more.

As to passing the 987.2 S on to my son - I have 5 sons, and 3 daughters - and 6 of the 8 want the car. So how would I fairly do that? Lottery? Don't think so. Actually only 2 could afford it, maybe 3. So I'm likely to sell it myself - I never trade, always sell on my own and come out way ahead.

The best point made so far I think is that I really need to go drive a 981 more to really see the difference.

Glad to hear there are a lot of Agate Grey ones out there. I'd be happy with either 6 speed or PDK, but prefer PDK so that opens the field somewhat. I'd want to find a CPO car from a private owner....which means it would have to have had at least 2 PO's. That's ok - my 987 had 2 PO's and was mint.

As to showing it, detailing it, etc. - my driveway is a 1/2 mile gravel road through heavy woods, and keeping mine clean is a major challenge. In winter, water & potholes are a problem; in dry summer, one slow trip up the drive and it has dust on it. I'd pave it but the land it goes through is not mine. And the owners won't even split the cost with me....they have no reason to pave it. My log home castle on acreage is so private and special I'm spending the rest of my life here.......sons and I built it with our own hands.......what I really need is a car wash at the end of the driveway.......but that point too is in the middle of heavy hardwood forest.........

its easy to have a crush on a 981 :)
From what I can read here many 981 owners are also previous 987 drivers and love the new styling, cabin size and updated comfort even with 20' rims and have made the plunge.

If you can afford it, go for it.

Alternately, you can have different ways of enjoying your 987 more too!
go for a track day, take it for a driving holiday somewhere, detail it, take some pictures, wrap it in a different colour, new rims/tyres, upgrades.
join the local coffee and cars equivalent (we call it tea time session here)
:cheers:

if the urge is still there, the 987 would make a great present to your son!

·
Registered
408 Posts
The best point made so far I think is that I really need to go drive a 981 more to really see the difference.
Yes, yes, yes. The newer car may, or may not, be an "upgrade" for YOU.

I went from 2006 CS to 2010 CS. I wanted the power, reliability, refinement and some extra goodies. Awesome.

I've spent a LOT of time behind the wheel of some very sporty and powerful cars. For me, handling is paramount. I seriously considered the 981... but after spending MUCH time behind the wheel... something was missing.

At the end of the day, the 981 is a huge upgrade in refinement, electronics, interior, and chassis platform - no doubt. But I just couldn't get past the downgrade in steering feel... that alone, was worth more than all the other improvements.

You seem quite happy, and I am quite happy with mine. For day-to-day smiles, it's the better option for me. Do yourself the favor of spending some considerable time behind the wheel of a 981.

Reactions: 2slow2speed

·
Registered
490 Posts
I am no car expert by any means. The below is my opinion ONLY after having a 987.1 Boxster (Base) and a 981 (Boxster) Base now.

Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that money is a factor in many decisions. There is quite a bit of truth in that. However, I often feel that every time I say "yes" to something I am also saying "no" to something else and the opposite directional thought is true too. When I considered the costs I opted to say 'YES' to a base 981 for the price of a loaded up 987.2 BS.

Before I bought the 981, I was considering a 987.2 BS and or a 981 base (topless option). Their price points are very close. However, the styling of the entire car is night and day between the two. You can easily tell the added width of the 981 as well as the overall 40% or so increased rigidity.

Again, in my opinion the Base 981 chassis/design is FAR BETTER than my 987.1 and the 987.2 BS etc. Nothing against the 987 series as they are awesome machines.

I recommend that you drive a 981 and get some SERIOUS windshield time. That is truly the only way to decide for yourself.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I've driven a Cayman R and it felt fantastic, by far the best 987. Then I drove the 981 Cayman S for two days and it's not even close. Everything just feels better on the 981 except your wallet. I don't think anyone that made the move is looking forward to go back, money is always an issue but if it's not. Get the 981.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts