Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice a small green puddle of fluid yesterday (felt slippery) close to the inside of the rear driver tire.
Got underneath to take a look but couldn't see much, just a green drop of fluid handing from
the bottom metal arm that hold the wheel on.

What fluids in the car are green? Anti-freeze, brake fluid, leaking shock?

I have a 2015 Cayman, 2 months old, 1,500 miles.
All gauges look good so far.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Most likely that's engine coolant (anti-freeze). Any recent service? Overflow possible... or a leaking hose :(
Easy enough to check level though. When cool, just open the cap and there's a level indicator.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most likely that's engine coolant (anti-freeze). Any recent service? Overflow possible... or a leaking hose :(
Easy enough to check level though. When cool, just open the cap and there's a level indicator.
Why do I keep reading Porsche uses red/pink anti-freeze?

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
Why do I keep reading Porsche uses red/pink anti-freeze?
Because Porsche uses pink coolant. As Ken posted, Pentosin power steering fluid is green.

Dan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I thought the 981s use electric steering and wouldn't need power steering fluid.
That's what I think, too. I agree with your list.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Power streering fluid.

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts
Power steering pump/line most likely, when it goes it drips right on a metal arm piece near the driver's side (US) rear wheel.
With 1,500 miles say it isn't so Ugh! :helpme: A loose fitting???

:cheers:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Does Porsche's electronic steering still use hydraulic power steering fluid? :confused:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mystery solved....
Turns out to be a leaking bad rear strut (shock).
The mechanic said he hadn’t seen one fail in over 20 yrs experience.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Mystery solved....
Glad you got it solved and this certainly points out the shortcomings of trying to diagnose something over the internet. :)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
After pages and pages were written about the horror of the 981 changing to electric steering and how every road test devoted a paragraph to how the switch from a hydraulic system is evidence that the world will end soon, it's still suggested that this could be a power steering leak! Yikes! You clearly ran over an alien. Leaking strut my eye!

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Interesting, I'm seeing a few drops of this green fluid on the floor when it's parked for a while on my 997, when I look under, it appears like it's coming from the exhaust. Might need to take it in to check.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Mystery solved....
Thank you for your posts. Gives us 981 owners something to watch for.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had though it might be the strut because it was so close to the tire, and the strut itself looked crappy dirty.
But, I thought that might be because the fluid might have just followed down the metal channel that lead to the strut and down.
Plus, there was a decent puddle, 6"-7" (must have emptied that strut). It did feel slippery, more than say.. anti-freeze (hindsight!!).

It's my understanding that even with electric steering there is still a sealed hydraulic system operating some parts - non-maintenance-able of course.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My 2014 981S goes to the dealer on Monday for leaking rear shocks. I've been getting a few drops of an 'amber/green' fluid (not motor oil or coolant) beneath the right rear shock for a few months now. Had it into Porsche in January and they claimed it was the oil filler/pipe and replaced it. Still had the drops of oil a few days ago and when I put my street wheels/tires back on I inspected the rear shocks and both appear to have faulty seals as oily grime is covering them. The right rear has a lot more. I'll report back after my dealer's service tech inspects on Monday.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Do you guys with the leaking shocks all have PASM, or non-PASM builds?

As far as I know, unless you're talking about a 991 with PDCC, there are no hydraulic components on the 9x1 cars except for the shocks (and, I suppose, any pressurized components in the PDK control, where applicable.)

·
Registered
125 Posts
My 981S has PASM.

Do you guys with the leaking shocks all have PASM, or non-PASM builds?

As far as I know, unless you're talking about a 991 with PDCC, there are no hydraulic components on the 9x1 cars except for the shocks (and, I suppose, any pressurized components in the PDK control, where applicable.)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts