Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Reading an article in recent Porsche Excellence (On line), the discuss the PDK has conventional gear oil in gears, and hydraulic oil in clutch pack, to be changed at 56K. This is NOT a DIY item per article. It kill me on why thye make what sounds simple complicated: Hydraulic fluid level check and replacement is beyond the realm of the DIYer as it requires the use of a Porsche Integrated Workshop Information System (PIWIS) or an equivalent scan tool to monitor fluid temperature and to activate the requisite “fill mode.” Anyone have this done yet?

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Hi Reading an article in recent Porsche Excellence (On line), the discuss the PDK has conventional gear oil in gears, and hydraulic oil in clutch pack, to be changed at 56K. This is NOT a DIY item per article. It kill me on why thye make what sounds simple complicated: Hydraulic fluid level check and replacement is beyond the realm of the DIYer as it requires the use of a Porsche Integrated Workshop Information System (PIWIS) or an equivalent scan tool to monitor fluid temperature and to activate the requisite “fill mode.” Anyone have this done yet?
I believe you can lease one for less than $20K. Everything is computerized these days. I guess its a software thing they send to Stuttgart. Everything that touches that car goes into their computers. There could be a software update that goes with it. PIWIS is how they know. And you really do not want to mess up that unit because it could cost $18K installed for a new one.

I know, they days of simple maintenance are long gone :( Try to find a shop manual. They do sell them but for major $$

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The PDK transmission has two water to oil coolers. One for the clutches and one for the gearbox oil. There are electronic valves that control the flow of oil in and out of the coolers. To get a full drain and fill, I am sure the PIWIS tool is needed to open and close the valves to ensure as much oil as possible is changed.

The only reason that I know this is that John at BGB diagnosed a failed valve actuator on a trip down there in January. On the trip I drove 10 hours in a downpour. The vacuum controlled actuators need air to vent the vacuum when released by the computer. This means that there has to be ports open to the outside air and subject to filling with water. One of the two valves for the PDK in my car filled with water and while not shown on the dash, was logged as an error code in the computer. A slightly different design was recalled on the 991s and they had 8 of them. In any case, the actuators are cheap, about $37.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Based on the 2015 Porsche Info ( Maintenance Intervals - Porsche Service - Service & Accessories - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG ) I referenced within following thread, both Manual and Auto Trans are noted as special service at 120K miles (but no longer than 12 yrs). See Maintenance Booklet within above and page 9. Whether this is what Porsche still recommends for PDK or what Dealer's are sayings, etc. who knows.

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-...81-maintenance-schedule-do-items-summary.html

:cheers:

·
Registered
1 Posts
What a great site! I'd like to replace the clutch and transmission fluids in my 2013 Panamera 4 with a PDK and a Autel DS708 analyzer. There is a function on the DS708 Porsche transmission diagnostics called "oil fill mode" and I wondering if this was the equivalent of the PIWIS function the dealer claims a special tool is needed to fill the clutches at 60k miles. Based on the site threads, I gather the clutch fluid replacement requires the tool to open valves to the clutch fluid cooler and no special tool is required to replace the transmission fluid at 120k miles.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
My car is a 2016, and nowhere does it say to service the PDK at 56K miles. As noted above, the first mention of it is at 120K miles. I don't know if it's a good idea to wait that long, but just like with a brake bleed job that calls for such 'tool', you can bleed them just fine without purging the piston... if you don't wait that long. The same might apply for the PDK, but until somebody here is brave enough to try it, I wouldn't;). If it's possible to do a DIY job, I'd probably get it done at 60K if I abused my car at the track and such. I don't believe in 'lifetime' fluids, especially if you run the car hard often, plus live in a hot climate. I'm only at 5K, so I don't have to worry about that for a loooong time;).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts