Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never thought that I would be at this point in my Porsche experience, but while dragging my heels during the 2,000 mile, limited-rev break-in period, I have discovered my Cayman inner hypermiler. Why not have fun while the elephant is still in the room? The A*S*S* feature (auto-stop-start) has been bags of fun, especially the coasting feature when the bleeding PDK is in free-wheeling mode (hide the children, Porsche has re-discovered SAAB two-stroke technology). I still break out in laughter when the 2.7 goes silent at a red light, or when the revs drop to idle speed going downhill. (Don't tell me to turn the A*S*S* off - this is too much fun.) I have learned how to tickle the tail of the dragon - while free-wheeling downhill, if you jab the brake pedal repeatedly at just-brief-enough intervals to control the gravity-enhanced acceleration, it will still remain free-wheeling; but if you brake too long, it will drop back into gear. Similarly, when I hit the glass-ceiling 4,000 rpm limit while accelerating, if I "breathe" the gas pedal (just like with the sainted SMG on my E46 M3) at the self-imposed rev limit, the PDK will upshift without my even touching the paddle. I just love to dork the software. Haven't done the definitive calc (not enough data at 1,100 miles), but I think that I am running at about 30 mpg overall, much of it in-town. Of course, once I hit 2,000 miles, it will be carbon-footprint be damned. But for now, this is a fun parallel universe to inhabit.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reactions: chows4us

·
Registered
966 Posts
Will not be long before all cars will be required to have 1 engine design by government mandate. Hello 4 cly turbo with a battery pack.
I believe it will be long. Today, we have 600+hp V8’s, 1.0L 3-cylinders, diesels, superchargers, turbochargers, flexfuel, hybrid and all-electric vehicles. What were our choices 10-20 years ago? To me, the trend looks like a trend towards more variety, not less. Even the impending Porsche engine lineup brings more choices with the introduction of flat-4’s, not fewer choices.
:cheers:

·
Registered
794 Posts
I believe it will be long. Today, we have 600+hp V8’s, 1.0L 3-cylinders, diesels, superchargers, turbochargers, flexfuel, hybrid and all-electric vehicles. What were our choices 10-20 years ago? To me, the trend looks like a trend towards more variety, not less. Even the impending Porsche engine lineup brings more choices with the introduction of flat-4’s, not fewer choices.
Hard to be a cynical anti-government type when someone starts spewing facts and talking reality.....

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hard to be a cynical anti-government type when someone starts spewing facts and talking reality.....
Unfortunately your only choice in a Boxster or Cayman will be a 4 cylinder turbo! So not more choices!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Unfortunately your only choice in a Boxster or Cayman will be a 4 cylinder turbo! So not more choices!
Well, today, your only choice for the 981 is a flat-6. So you have exactly the same number of choices today: one. Even if you go to the 911, you still only get a flat-6.

Next generation, you can get a flat-4 in the 981. If you want a flat-6 you can buy a 911. More choices.

I've probably complained about Porsche not making the car I wanted at least as much as anyone here. In the end, I gave up on Porsche, and BGB built me the car that I wanted. The fact that Porsche didn't offer me the choice I wanted had nothing to do with flat-4's or government regulations.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Umm - we seem to have drifted off topic (I think there are another threads for the very interesting my-motor-is-bigger-than-your-motor discussion). Back to mileage. I'm wondering if it is more efficient to motor along in cruise control (which turns off free-wheeling), or to control your own speed with the gas pedal (which allows free-wheeling on downhill stretches)? Also, Porsche's cruise control is a bit disappointing after my years with BMW's system. In cruise, the Cayman picks up a good bit of speed going down hill, with only automated downshifts of the PDK available to slow the car down (but very imprecisely). On one hill, my cruise control triggered PDK downshifts that started to take the motor over the 4000 rpm break in limit, whereupon I intervened with the brakes. On the other hand, my E92 335i cruise control maintained a teutonically constant speed no matter the downgrade - the cruise control communicated with the brakes to automatically counteract the effects of gravity. One point to BMW here.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
When I came back from Caffeine and Carbs in southern CT last year I was still in break-in. I made two stops over the ~180 miles: one for gas, and one to eat. I also blitzed a few tunnels at WOT, because I could. I also sometimes put my foot down a bit, to break away from the pack of traffic and get some space. I also was averaging close to 75mph, to stay with the flow of traffic (my average speed for the trip was still nearly 60mph, despite stopping for nearly 40 minutes).

I averaged 29.6mpg on that trip home, mostly due to coast mode.

Granted, driving it in a "more spirited" fashion I've also pushed it under 12mpg.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Umm - we seem to have drifted off topic (I think there are another threads for the very interesting my-motor-is-bigger-than-your-motor discussion). Back to mileage. I'm wondering if it is more efficient to motor along in cruise control (which turns off free-wheeling), or to control your own speed with the gas pedal (which allows free-wheeling on downhill stretches)? Also, Porsche's cruise control is a bit disappointing after my years with BMW's system. In cruise, the Cayman picks up a good bit of speed going down hill, with only automated downshifts of the PDK available to slow the car down (but very imprecisely). On one hill, my cruise control triggered PDK downshifts that started to take the motor over the 4000 rpm break in limit, whereupon I intervened with the brakes. On the other hand, my E92 335i cruise control maintained a teutonically constant speed no matter the downgrade - the cruise control communicated with the brakes to automatically counteract the effects of gravity. One point to BMW here.
I find myself drawn to hypermiling on long hauls with enough traffic (and/or risk of law enforcement) to leave me unable to really cut loose. The differences in fuel vs time seem to favor hypermiling for me between the high 60s and high 70s mph. A little recent experimenting left me with about 27-28 mpg in the 70s and about 28-29.5 mpg in the high 60s. Made me think of 30+ if I was down around 55! But that takes a lot of willpower!

As for cruise control, my MT in highest gear requires low gas input to stay in the hi 60-70s even on downgrades. No chance to use brakes to hold speed down. So not as much chance to get really hi mpg.

·
Noob
857 Posts
I got 30.8 iirc driving to the track...then it went downhill to 9mpg. Started beeping middle of a track session about how I only had 45 miles left on it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Nice 500 post ;)

Anyways, anybody remember Freewheelin' Franklin???? Hint, his buddies were Fat Freddy, fat Freddy's cat and Phineas!

I always get like 32 or better going 70 plus, pretty good and effective.

Later, Andy :taunt:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Never thought that I would be at this point in my Porsche experience, but while dragging my heels during the 2,000 mile, limited-rev break-in period, I have discovered my Cayman inner hypermiler. Why not have fun while the elephant is still in the room? The A*S*S* feature (auto-stop-start) has been bags of fun, especially the coasting feature when the bleeding PDK is in free-wheeling mode (hide the children, Porsche has re-discovered SAAB two-stroke technology). I still break out in laughter when the 2.7 goes silent at a red light, or when the revs drop to idle speed going downhill. (Don't tell me to turn the A*S*S* off - this is too much fun.)
Just a thought (i.e. this is not an engine break-in debate), but the break-in guidance wants you to keep the engine running for longer periods of time. I believe the verbiage reads, ''Avoid short drives''.

I tried the *** with my car (I'm not even at 1,000 miles) and decided that it is something best saved for after break-in. My car seems to idle rough on start-up for 10-20 seconds and this continued with *** at each stop.

Granted, break-in guidance is probably based on maintaining oil temp./heat-cycle so frequent start/stop sessions may not be an issue.

Again, just something to think about.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a thought (i.e. this is not an engine break-in debate), but the break-in guidance wants you to keep the engine running for longer periods of time. I believe the verbiage reads, ''Avoid short drives''.

I tried the *** with my car (I'm not even at 1,000 miles) and decided that it is something best saved for after break-in. My car seems to idle rough on start-up for 10-20 seconds and this continued with *** at each stop.

Granted, break-in guidance is probably based on maintaining oil temp./heat-cycle so frequent start/stop sessions may not be an issue.

Again, just something to think about.
I wonder if the stop/start operates slightly differently in my 2.7 versus your CGTS? In my case, s/s seems to be locked out by the software until the oil temperature gets up close to the normal operating range. I've not had an s/s episode while the oil was cold/cool (with s/s enabled). Also my auto-start seems to be almost instantaneous (like the direct injection sprays just at the moment the engine starts to turn over) - it's almost like an off/on switch, and not like cranking an engine to start. Plus there is no trace of roughness in the post-start idle. Maybe individual engines have different characteristics? Anyway, at a bit over 1,200 miles, I am absolutely delighted with my Cayman and can hardly wait another 800 miles to FINALLY punch the Sport Button (both the button on the console and the button in my head).

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
My new Cayman is a base model with PDK and I have been playing with the start/stop and the coasting functions. The other day I drove about 140 miles round trip. I did not put the car in Sport mode and I let the transmission shift itself. Half of the time I was on back country two-lane roads which meant stops in small towns. The other half of the time I was on an Interstate doing 70 to 75 mph. I averaged 30 miles to the gallon and the car isn't even broken in yet. I'm driving a veritable economy car. :)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I am absolutely delighted with my Cayman and can hardly wait another 800 miles to FINALLY punch the Sport Button (both the button on the console and the button in my head).
Should do what I did -- I took the week after I took delivery off. 1,920 miles in one week. Diff was nicely broken-in in the northern Appalachians. Then the oil was changed, and the following day I was past the magical 2,000.

·
Registered
911 Posts
On the Blue Ridge Parkway with MT, so no coasting. Do you think the descent from 5,000 to about 2,000 feet may have had something to do with it?

And although the computer is actually about 6% optimistic, the true average for the 1,400 mile trip was 29.3 mpg.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
On Sunday did 400 miles, Charlotte NC to Maryland, all top-down and as little Interstate as we could manage, computer said 34.0 for the run. Would have been better but for an hour or so north of Danville VA, I had not noticed I had the cruise control on but in 5th not 6th. :crazy:

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
On Sunday did 400 miles, Charlotte NC to Maryland, all top-down and as little Interstate as we could manage, computer said 34.0 for the run. Would have been better but for an hour or so north of Danville VA, I had not noticed I had the cruise control on but in 5th not 6th. :crazy:
This thread has reinforced the advantage of the base 981 for MPG. Amazing what you basemen have achieved! My S isn't as good--or is it my foot?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts